Native mammals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what a Plains rat would be like to keep? Are they similar to domestic rats, in that they are cleaner than mice?

Ive kept Spinifex Hopping Mice and Plains Rats. Viridae, I would say Plains Rats are much cleaner than both domestic mice and rats. Very little smell, they even set up one corner as a toilet area. I had a pair and although I'd heard they were more difficult to breed than the Hopping Mice (which were unstoppable I might add, from 3 to 24 in no time, with litters of 3-4), they bred quite easily, producing three litters within the space of 4 months. They are far more skittish and nervous than domestic rats though and don't tame down well.

Ive kept Spinifex Hopping Mice and Plains Rats. Viridae, I would say Plains Rats are much cleaner than both domestic mice and rats. Very little smell, they even set up one corner as a toilet area. I had a pair and although I'd heard they were more difficult to breed than the Hopping Mice (which were unstoppable I might add, from 3 to 24 in no time, with litters of 3-4), they bred quite easily, producing three litters within the space of 4 months. They are far more skittish and nervous than domestic rats though and don't tame down well.

Thanks. If I wanted a good handler rat I would get a domestic - I'm more interested in behaviour though.

i got those books in the mail today. Some really good care sheets in there! defiantly grab a copy of each.

Thanks. If I wanted a good handler rat I would get a domestic - I'm more interested in behaviour though.

Behaviour wise..... Boring. Being timid and nocturnal, you dont really have a good chance to see them doing what they do. Hopping mice on the other hand, far more interesting, they become used to you much easier and mine were active during the day aswell as night so you get a good chance to view their behaviour. Also, since hopping mice live in larger colonies, the social interactions are much better. Hopping Mice I would get again, Plains Rats......not worth it in my opinion. They just dont calm down enough to show natural behaviours, well, not when your looking anyway.

Mine arrived yesterday apparently. Very quick delivery.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back