Native mammals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked after spinifex, wombats, native & exotic parrots and cockatoos, and the family has done a lot more and quite a few others before so might be able to offer assistance if you need.

I have looked after spinifex, wombats, native & exotic parrots and cockatoos, and the family has done a lot more and quite a few others before so might be able to offer assistance if you need.

what licence you you have for the wombats? I have heard they can be great pets just dig alot;)

what licence you you have for the wombats? I have heard they can be great pets just dig alot;)

hmm, I didnt know that Hornet! LOL

SA must be pretty darn good as our BASIC Cl 1 list allows for (I think) 50+ Mammal species incl. Kangaroos, Dunnarts, Gliders, Wallabies, Potoroos and here, Spinifex Hopping Mice are listed as exempt so no Permit required.

Have a good day :-D

Nah very temperamental and extremely powerful animals. No way a single person can control an adult wombat, they do what they want.

have you guys seen many mitchell's hopping mice? ive only ever seen one pair for sale & it was $230 each. has anyone seen them cheaper?

Nah very temperamental and extremely powerful animals. No way a single person can control an adult wombat, they do what they want.

i have worked with wombats at a zoo for a day and were pretty cranky but the only "pet" i have seen was pretty good.

Some of my 6 locals. Casey and Skittles together (approx 16 months) and the new unnamed addition (7 months). Casey is actually named after the person that bought him in, some young bloke that rides a ducati ;)

Attachments

• Wom_brat.jpg
    Wom_brat.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 90
  • pooped.jpg
    pooped.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 35
what are the like as pets i your opinion?

lol mayb the one i saw was in a good mood :lol: All i know if the ones at the zoo were very cranky

I know of an illegally kept wombat here in Sydney. It was found wandering the street and taken to a carers home where upon it seized the blanket it had been transported in and climbed onto a lounge chair and went to sleep. Not long after we recieved a call about a lost wombat. I understand the carer descided to return the wombat to the caller. I am not in the loop on this one so thats all I know.

they look so cuddly! i want one!!!! lol i want everything but can't get too much. 3 kids make it hard to have a lot of pets. i'll just stick to my reptiles and fish i think. for now anyway lol
always wanted to be a wildlife carer but unfortunately don't have the time the animals would need right now :(

I've worked with wombats occassionally over the years and I agree with - they don't make good pets, especially whn 18 months or older. Cranky ones can be a real pain, and when they bite they can go through to the bone. Their incisors are chisel-like and their cheekteeth are rootless (grow throughout their lives, like a rats).

Juveniles being handreared are cute as buggery and appear dim-witted, but the wombat has the largest brain (compared to it's bodysize) of any mammal. At around 11 months most go through a stage where it appears their only goal in life is to amputate every human foot they see at the ankles.

:p

Hix

Hix, I've heard exactly the same thing about southern hairy nosed wombats. Gorgeous, cuddley animals til they get to 18months, then they decide their sole purpose is to devour the keeper from the knees down. I did hear one story of a bloke who raised one as a family pet. At 18 months it was still as cuddley as ever with his wife and 3 kids (rolling over, cuddling up on the couch etc...) but it hated the bloke who'd raised the bloody thing. It's try to dig through doors to get at him............ gratitude ;)

-H

They aren't pets! They are not mean, they ar not evil but just simply aren't pets, they have never been domesticated and would take thousands of generations to even tyr and domesticate them and after my experience and believe it would be great to see them never domesticated. AMazing animals which I have the most amount of respect for.

I've worked with wombats occassionally over the years and I agree with - they don't make good pets, especially whn 18 months or older. Cranky ones can be a real pain, and when they bite they can go through to the bone. Their incisors are chisel-like and their cheekteeth are rootless (grow throughout their lives, like a rats).

Juveniles being handreared are cute as buggery and appear dim-witted, but the wombat has the largest brain (compared to it's bodysize) of any mammal. At around 11 months most go through a stage where it appears their only goal in life is to amputate every human foot they see at the ankles.

:p

Hix

It's the achilles tendon they're after, they know if they snip that all threat is instantly disabled.

Have to agree that wombats arent great pets. At all the zoos Ive worked at you're not allowed in with them unless you're wearing steel capped shoes. I used to wear joggers as the boots hurt my feet too much, so was a case of spy wombat, them jump over and grab empty food dish and vault out as quickly as possible before it spotted me :) They have VERY sharp teeth!

Cheers

I have 4 Squirrel Gliders, 4 Sugar Gliders and 4 Ringtail possums.
I am a wildlife carer and I raised the ringtail possums wich came in orphaned and for various reason are unreleasable.
I am also looking for a white tipped (tail) Sugar Glider female, preferably young, if anyone can help please let me know.
Thanks

We do not have squirrel gliders on the Victorian schedules which is a shame.

We have a few ring tails but they are wild and live in our garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back