Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanejb

Reaction score
Ive decided to post this thread so that people can voice there opinions on why they think exotics should be legalised or shouldnt be legalised (and note this is purely discussion there isnt goin to be a vote or anything on this matter). try to keep it clean and dont directly target other users for comments they make as it will only cause conflict!

lol i only posted this because i felt that people need to hear all the opinions of both sides and i wanted to put it into a single thread as this issue seems to be getting into the other threads atm

i think the way things are going is that exotics will be legalised eventually, simply because with the exotics that are already here there will slowly be more an more which kinda defeats the whole save aussie fauna thing. as long as they were here in a controlled manner it wouldnt be so bad.

my very simple opinoin is that IF people could be responsible and not let them out or escape, then it would be ok. along with this theory would be the extremely strict rules regarding their keeping, buying, selling and death.
basically it would be hard to set up but worthwhile.

The effects of other exotic species of animals introduced into this country (Cats, dogs, rabbits, guppies and mosquito fish, cane toads) are reason enough not to introduce any more exotic species I believe.

I think exotics shouldn't be legalised as it could cause problems with our native wildlife if any were to be released. This has happened all over the world where exotics are available. Australia should keep the no import laws in my opinion. Besides, Australia has unique wildlife found only in Australia, others come from all around the world to see our native animals. Australian wildlife is better in my opinion too. Will be interesting to see how this discussion goes. Voice your opinion!

ok ill be blunt, all of us here on this forum i presume are caring for the herps and do the right thing thats why we are here because we live for our herps so i dont see us doing the wrong thing and having our exotics escape if we had any but if we legalised it that will only have a lot of beginners and careless people easier access to these animals and hence have them get into the native fauna.

id also like to point out that even though there is these so called laws agains having exotics you can have them legaly imported. so after us being led to beleive there are lwas against owning them well there is but there is no law stopping importing as long as you do the paper work and i think thats a silly flaw in our system.

i reckon the natives we have are spectacular, if people could be trusted to keep things contained there wouldnt be a problem, but unfortunatly so many people do the wrong thing, it would be a crime to have more of our precious species destroyed because we cant/wont do the right thing, it will eventually happen that exotics will be allowed in, but untill then lets enjoy the remaining time with our natives

Should we also bring up Mr Hoser, Void and Hybrids???

Zanejb you've picked a fairly heated subject that has been done many times before. Hopefully we'll see some fresh ideas in this thread.

The most obvious reason against exotics is the large variation in eco systems present in Australia. This means that potentially any exotic reptile would be able to find a suitable habitat in Australia and become a pest. The large reptilian and amphibian bio-diversity in Australia could easily be upset with the introduction of new species. This is something we have already seen from the illegal pet trade with red eared sliders in Brisbane. NSW licensing has a disposal code of "Lost" which is to account for a reptile escaping. Something that should never happen, but it does.

Furthermore the legalisation of Exotic venomous snakes poses a major public health risk a all local first aid an medical treatment for snake bit is geared towards Australian elapids and can potentially exacerbate the harm caused when applied to certain exotic snake bites.

Seems to me the only arguments for are "because it's cool" and "because everyone else can". Followed up by a statement that sounds remarkably similar to a teenager asking to borrow his fathers car "I promise I won't scratch it, please give me a chance".

exotics should be kind of like vens.
here in sa we cant have extremely deadly vens until we have had
not so deadly vens and work our way up.
maybe keepers who want to keep exotics would have to have a couple of years
keeping our native herps first before exotics?????

The reality is that exotics are already here, and in decent numbers. Some argue that the government should take a similar approach to drugs - that being: if you legalise something, you remove the black market. These people also argue that if the NPWS (or relevant state authority) had these exotic animals on license, they would be arguably traceable.

Personally, I don't give a rat's....If little Billy wants to own a gaboon viper and run the risk of getting killed, or if Mr Brown at Number 12 secretly keeps corn snakes and run the risk of heavy fines (and then some) that's their choice. Humans naturally want what they can't have.

Ironically other countries can import our reptiles yet we cannot do the same. Some may say this is an injustice. I say go live in America or England if you want to have your boas and handle your scrubbie too.

The arguement that exotics bring the risk of disease. Like what, OPMV? And is there a cure for it yet? And arent collections already catching OPMV, despite not having exotics in their possession? What then?

In all honesty, if corns were legal, would you say no?

i know i picked a subject that does get people going but i feel it needs to be discussed on a regular basis because people i feel dont get the situation like you said chimera people seem to only wan them because they think there "cool" and so on but we need to click back to reality.

Personally, I don't give a rat's....If little Billy wants to own a gaboon viper and run the risk of getting killed

To re-iterate my point, if little Billy decides to own a Gaboon Viper there is a good chance he's the kind of fool who doesn't take proper care in avoid his viper escaping.

Any exotic ven in a private collection is a public health risk, no ifs buts or maybes.

Could you picture an inexperienced WIRES volunteer trying to use their snake hook on a Gaboon viper thinking it's a carpet python???? :shock:

OMPV is an exotic disease introcuded to australia and its an air born disease that can contaminate all of a collection just from sitting in the same room. If australia doesnt have OMPV in the wild and the USA is having big problems with it then how else did it get here? careless buyers wanting an exotic and then it not passing through quarantine checks (imported animals are packed for the entire travel and arent checked before let in unfortunantly) so if we legalise the trade all thats going to happen is people will import more animals that arent already here and intorducing more diseases!!!!! think outside the square!!!!!

also cant we just have the exotics that are here already.
for example i have a friend who has told me that zoos in australia
dont need boas to breed cuase they have enough already.
so why cant we have some and the zoos can make a little money on the side??

im opion is it ever them or us
if everyone wants some *cool* reptiles like iguanas and boas and things then say good bye to *cooler things* like beardies and olives and things.

I just can't believe that anyone who "loves" their snakes let alone oz or our native wildlife would even contemplate exotics sure I adore mambas but the risks of everything in oz is at stake. I am damn proud to live in oz where are animals are more protected than anywhere. It only takes 1 disease to wipe out a species and humans are already doing a good enough job. We have OPMV can't we be saticfied with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back