Ne1 got an Oscar Fish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No prob

The problem that we get with Oscars is that pet stores will sell Oscars by the dozen and not tell u what size tanks they need. I have seen so menny people that keep Oscars in tiny tanks no where near the size that is adequate

Oscars are very smart they will sulk when u change something in there tank (for up to 2 or so weeks)

They no who is Thar owner and who is a stranger

Our Oscar is in a 330L tank and i feel that that is a bit small for him even thou it is well above the so called correct size tank

Temps should be around 27deg all year round don't for get that they are a cichlid and come from Africa

We also feed him flies, crickets, meal worms, worms, yabbies, feeder fish, snails, etc

This is a pic of our feller eating a yabby
19062008.jpg

We have 2 Oscars. 1 is a black & red and the other is albino. They don't like to share their tank with other oscars but my albino is sharing with a blue acara and another type of acara. He seems ok with them. The black attacks any other fish on sight though and if it can fit in his mouth, he will eat it. We feed our frozen cichlid block, bloodworms & feeder fish. As Lewy said, they will sulk if you do anything to their home and just be aware, they do bite! I speak from experience, lol.
pic #1...Fluffy pic #2...Ollie

Attachments

• Oscars 001.jpg
    Oscars 001.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 332
  • Oscars 002.jpg
    Oscars 002.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 305
Hi there,

They are great fish, I have a red & black tiger, he is about 30cm long, I feed him on oscar pellets and vary his diet with small yabbies and feeder fish every now and then.

You're right about biting Kakariki, mine has drawn blood

Dudley11.jpg

Dudley6.jpg

This is a pic of our feller eating a yabby
19062008.jpg

No doubt you have killed the yabby first to avoid risking a 1 year jail sentance for animal animal cruelty ;) :lol:

my dad keeps oscars (I don’t like them personally... they kill every thing else... unless you find something that learns to hide good) he has 3 atm they are only about 5cm long i suppose, he’s had bigger ones though, and they do grow freaking huge. they all live together, he started with one, got a slightly smaller one, they fought for a week or two and then they ended up around the same size and then be came friends, then he got another one and the 2nd one was like “yep a new fish cool”, the first one was like “omg a new fish Rawr!!!!”, and so they decided to take half a tank each and the 2nd one swam in-between each half, but yeah if one fish crossed the line to the other side they would fight till one gave up and went back to the other side (which made for some entertainment when my brother discovered they follow laser pointers XD). But I think ones pregnant atm... and they all seem to be getting along to... so something must be happening. We just feed them fish flakes, occasional cockroach or huntsman that walks across the wall and we chuck in, and a cricket if we have any spare. But I guess they are okish, only problem... they grow too big.... they kill every thing. Hope that helps

Thank u all so much for your info and pics!....Much appreciated.....

The oscar I have was a friends and he has given it to me as he has no where to keep it at the moment....( cus the tank is huge)

So we had to drain it and move him on the weekend......His back in his tank now and is pretty quiet sometimes just sitting in the corner not moving at all.......He usually chases you around the tank when you walk past.....

I guess he knows his been moved and has new owners according to Lewy's info..... Hope he settles in and gets used to us!.

I cant believe how aggressive they can be....And to draw blood?....They dont have teeth but do they??....I dont plan sticking my hand in there anytime soon...lol

LOL no they don't have teeth but do have a very hard gum like thing and yes it can draw blood my missus noes first hand hehehe

Yer he will settle in in a few weeks time and start to get used to u

How big/old is he??

my dad keeps oscars (I don’t like them personally... they kill every thing else... unless you find something that learns to hide good) he has 3 atm they are only about 5cm long i suppose, he’s had bigger ones though, and they do grow freaking huge. they all live together, he started with one, got a slightly smaller one, they fought for a week or two and then they ended up around the same size and then be came friends, then he got another one and the 2nd one was like “yep a new fish cool”, the first one was like “omg a new fish Rawr!!!!”, and so they decided to take half a tank each and the 2nd one swam in-between each half, but yeah if one fish crossed the line to the other side they would fight till one gave up and went back to the other side (which made for some entertainment when my brother discovered they follow laser pointers XD). But I think ones pregnant atm... and they all seem to be getting along to... so something must be happening. We just feed them fish flakes, occasional cockroach or huntsman that walks across the wall and we chuck in, and a cricket if we have any spare. But I guess they are okish, only problem... they grow too big.... they kill every thing. Hope that helps

Your tank must be huge like 900L for 3 Oscars They all sound pretty stressed to me

I wouldn't recommend feeding huntsmen to them though

Plecos are a good fish to keep with them they get along fine i have 2 in my tank they are now around 30cm

Your tank must be huge like 900L for 3 Oscars They all sound pretty stressed to me

I wouldn't recommend feeding huntsmen to them though

Plecos are a good fish to keep with them they get along fine i have 2 in my tank they are now around 30cm

Stressed, I love how everyone thinks everything is stressed.

9ftx3ftx3ft is a great size, I would keep a pair more than a trio but there is no reason to say they're living happily especially 1m 2 f or 3 f.

No, animal cruetly laws don't exist for inverts.

Yer didn't thinks so (But was not sure so i didn't say anything) as u can just get them from the pet store sold as feeder yabbies

Oscar loves them LOL

No, animal cruetly laws don't exist for inverts.

A crayfish is an "animal" by the legal definition in QLD, in most states it does only cover vertebrates as you say.

Oh yeah its an awesome action shot too, when i try to get shots like that the fish is usually not even in the frame :(

What is the min temperature oscars can handle safely?

Stressed, I love how everyone thinks everything is stressed.

9ftx3ftx3ft is a great size, I would keep a pair more than a trio but there is no reason to say they're living happily especially 1m 2 f or 3 f.

1 Oscar should have at least 80 gallons of water and for each other Oscar u should double it and so on

Well may be you should do a little research on the correct tank size for an Oscar

U ovesetly don't have a clue

I never said i was an expert but i do do my research

I am an expert, and frankly i've never followed the 'rules'

If it works for one person i may not work for the next.

You can't comment on something you know nothing about, if those fish have been living in a 900L tank since they were small then they wont have any issues. If they were placed as adults it's a different matter.

Why don't you go back to keeping your carpet python happy with a live mouse than worrying about fish.

They are very responsive pets , watching you when you come into the room , going crazy when you pick up their food container . Love watching them with live prey , lying on the bottom , ' l'm dead , come and have a look ' . They will eat anything but if feeder fish are too big they will bite them in half leaving the dead leftovers to rot .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back