Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shay-Nik

Reaction score
I have a 7 month old albino darwin carpet python, lovely snake. He usually feeds well, I just put him into a full sized enclosure for there adult age, gave him a week to settle in and watched him but not once have I seen him sit up on the basking spot, im just wondering if his gone into brumation and how long should I leave him alone for, I tried to feed him ealier but he didn't want it, he kind of bit it then turned his back on it, his a healthy snake. Showing no signs of any sickness.

Can u put his old enclosure in with him that way he has familiar smells and new smells so he doesn't get overwhelmed

I have a 7 month old albino darwin carpet python, lovely snake. He usually feeds well, I just put him into a full sized enclosure for there adult age, gave him a week to settle in and watched him but not once have I seen him sit up on the basking spot, im just wondering if his gone into brumation and how long should I leave him alone for, I tried to feed him ealier but he didn't want it, he kind of bit it then turned his back on it, his a healthy snake. Showing no signs of any sickness.
How did the move down south go? Has the change been since you moved down there?

I have the same issue with my albino ... Moved 3 to their new enclosures , 2 are real happy constantly eating the other just wasn't interested . I have two clay pots one on a heat tile the other not and he preferred to stay in the cooler pot , he's 7 month old tried everything to make him eat ... Even the quail leg cigar which usually works but nothing ... Hasn't eaten for 6 weeks but last night he was on the heat side of the pot with his head out like the others looking for a feed . Will try tonight to see if he's ready to eat . If everything is right then u just have to wait till their ready ... Pushing the issue will keep them constantly stressed

He or she is probably just shy, my albino kapreece is 7 months old now but she didn't from the 12th of April to the 24th of may when I changed her from her click-clack to enclosure, just try once a week and don't handle again until he/she's eating again properly:)

How did the move down south go? Has the change been since you moved down there?

His been great up till now, as for the familiar smells, he has stuff in there that his familar with. I haven't taken him out of his enclosure in nearly 2 weeks I been putting him up on the basking spot but he doesnt want to stay up there, im thinking about putting a heat tile in there but gotta make sure its safe for him, his genrally a good snake but up till moving him in the bigger enclosure his just gone sour and hates people looking at him, its stressing me out because im worried his gonna continue being like this, ill leave him alone for another 2 weeks to see how he goes, I may have to make some adjustments to make him happy

Last edited:
His been great up till now, as for the familiar smells, he has stuff in there that his familar with
I was thinking maybe the cooler weather down there may have put him off his food if the ambient cool end temperature drops enough he may start to brumate.

Snakes often go off their food when there is a major change. You just need to provide plenty of hide spots and leave it alone as much as possible. Maybe even put a cloth over the enclosure during the day so that it does not have as much visual disturbance. Keep trying every week at night when the snake is in ambush position (S-shaped neck, etc). It will not be brumation, as he has been eating normally. Young Darwins should happily feed over winter if kept warm, especially in the first year. Don't worry for a month or so. They can go ages without food.

I was thinking maybe the cooler weather down there may have put him off his food if the ambient cool end temperature drops enough he may start to brumate.

He was feeding well after moving, he wanted more food after feeding him, I think its because his just too cold to want to move, we do have heating in through the whole house but the motor broke down and is getting fixed soon hopefully so that he'll have some kinda of heat

Snakes often go off their food when there is a major change. You just need to provide plenty of hide spots and leave it alone as much as possible. Maybe even put a cloth over the enclosure during the day so that it does not have as much visual disturbance. Keep trying every week at night when the snake is in ambush position (S-shaped neck, etc). It will not be brumation, as he has been eating normally. Young Darwins should happily feed over winter if kept warm, especially in the first year. Don't worry for a month or so. They can go ages without food.

Alright, thanks for the help :) ill let him settle a little more

My thinking behind possible brumation was if the not feeding was only since the move from Queensland to NSW and the heating was only at the hot end the cooler climate down south may have brought on brumation. Could this scenario happen? If not can you tell me why?

My thinking behind possible brumation was if the not feeding was only since the move from Queensland to NSW and the heating was only at the hot end the cooler climate down south may have brought on brumation. Could this scenario happen? If not can you tell me why?
Big changes can stress them, they also had a long drive here because both my mums and her boyfriends cars were playing up so we had to keep stopping, but once we arrived we put them on heat tiles and they settled in nicely a few days later.

I think he was brewing up a poo, I just finished cleaning it up and my sister put him up on the basking spot, his been sitting there for about 15 minutes now hoping that he'll stay there

My Darwins in Sydney do not brumate if I provide an adequate basking spot. I have a hatchling of the same age (must get around to selling him) who is feeding great with a hot spot of 32-38 and a cool end that gets down to 16 at night. He just stays at the hot end and eats like a pig. This has been the case with all of the hatchlings I have raised. For those reasons, I don't think brumation is the issue.

I have set up a heat tile in there just now, the temp is going up well and will monitor it in the next few days, he seems to be enjoying it, I had to take one of his hides off him due to it being small and he has hurt himself on it. He will have to settle with the bigger hide. Hope that the damaged scale doesn't get worse, will also be monitoring that too.

I like to use cardboard boxes as hides. I save tablet boxes (panadol, etc) for the hatchlings and upsize my boxes as I go. The snakes can't hurt themselves on cardboard and it provides a snug fit. If it gets soiled, you just throw it out. You may consider providing him a couple of boxes to give him more options. They aren't natural looking and aesthetically pleasing, but snakes don't care about that.

I strongly discourage people from putting a baby snake in an adult enclosure for exactly this reason. I use tubs for the first year, then move them into a small enclosure and upgrade as they grow. Experience has taught me that moving a snake into an enclosure that is too large for the snake will cause nothing but problems.

A stressed snake is a sad snake and the problems continue from there. If i was you, i'd put him back in his old one for a few more months and then get him a small enclosure with plenty of places to hide. fake plants and a correct size hide (just big enough for them to fit, they should be able to touch either side when they are curled up) will do wonders for their confidence.

I strongly discourage people from putting a baby snake in an adult enclosure for exactly this reason. I use tubs for the first year, then move them into a small enclosure and upgrade as they grow. Experience has taught me that moving a snake into an enclosure that is too large for the snake will cause nothing but problems.

A stressed snake is a sad snake and the problems continue from there. If i was you, i'd put him back in his old one for a few more months and then get him a small enclosure with plenty of places to hide. fake plants and a correct size hide (just big enough for them to fit, they should be able to touch either side when they are curled up) will do wonders for their confidence.

His not a baby. His a hatchling. And as a matter of fact, not all hatchlings react like this, we have a jungle pythin who is only a few days older, and he loves the bigger enclosure. He likes to stretch out, and there is no decent size tubs you can buy that wont cost you more then $50. My snake has settled in nicely with his heat tile and he's not appearing to be stressed, his not fristy anymore. I'll be feeding him today because I hate seeing him go without. As for the hides, he was in a cardboard hide but I think its because it was a little small for him but he loved it, so it was hard taking it away from him. He is now using a feature rock hide and literally lives in it.

Laws are different in NSW. Maybe you need to do some research instead of jumping to conclusion.

Last edited:
His not a baby. His a hatchling. And as a matter of fact, not all hatchlings react like this, we have a jungle pythin who is only a few days older, and he loves the bigger enclosure. He likes to stretch out, and there is no decent size tubs you can buy that wont cost you more then $50. My snake has settled in nicely with his heat tile and he's not appearing to be stressed, his not fristy anymore. I'll be feeding him today because I hate seeing him go without. As for the hides, he was in a cardboard hide but I think its because it was a little small for him but he loved it, so it was hard taking it away from him. He is now using a feature rock hide and literally lives in it.

Laws are different in NSW. Maybe you need to do some research instead of jumping to conclusion.

What conclusion did i jump to? you had a problem, posted on a forum and i posted my advice based on years of experience with many snakes. It's just my opinion, you can take it or leave it.

What conclusion did i jump to? you had a problem, posted on a forum and i posted my advice based on years of experience with many snakes. It's just my opinion, you can take it or leave it.

I'd think on a site like this people would be a little nicer. Or how about don't post it, I asked for answers not orders. If you didn't notice I already got the information I needed. Hence why I thanked the kind people who helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back