Not happy!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IV, it is really great to hear she has been released :D I have been offline for a few days and this was terrific to log in to see..... You are a great Man(am trying very hard not to join in the suggestive banter lol seeing as how I am trying to be all serious and stuff now ;) )

the sad thing is that if the snake bit one of the kids the media would say that the snake tried killing them but what uneducated people dont understand is that if u were being attacked wouldnt you try to defend yourself too? i never let any kids go near my snakes or dragons, not because im worried what my animals will do its what the kids will do.

Thanks All:)! Wildlife Orgs are ALWAYS on the lookout for willing carers and it's very rewarding on a personal level (hint, hint) although it has little impact in the greater scheme of things aside from as an education tool, perhaps.
Were the kids responsible spoken to at all?

Not that I'm aware of, Ren. An all to common occurance, unfortunately. We've had several long necked turts and waterbirds come in with target arrows (or wounds from target arrows) during the School holls, with various outcomes, not to mention a large male Eastern Grey that was shot through the lower leg and had to be destroyed (a safety issue). I really have to wonder about some parents??

I reckon todays teachers have got the toughest job dealing with some of these little cretins...I guess it only takes one bad apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am 14 and i hate when people harm reptiles for fun or out of fear. i know when a regular joe see's a snake they might freak a little but why would people purposely hurt a snake? becasue they are afraid of it biting them? its more scared of you than you are of it and if you dont disturb snakes they wont harm you. stupid kids

I think it's mostly down to boredom. Funnily enough, the majority of the rehabs came in during the second week of the school holidays.

Someone mentioned vet costs. Vets treating wildlife do not normally charge for the service. I am not sure exactly how that works and must ask next time I catch up with a vet.

Blue

Sometimes reptiles can seem somewhat fragile, and other times remarkably resilient. A great outcome this time IV.

Someone mentioned vet costs. Vets treating wildlife do not normally charge for the service. I am not sure exactly how that works and must ask next time I catch up with a vet.

Awhile back I took a wild ELNT to a vet with some serious damage to it's carapace as a result of a run in with a lawn mower here in Vic. No costs incurred, and the vet mentioned that a wildlife fund would pick up the bill. Not entirely sure what or how that works though.

No costs incurred, and the vet mentioned that a wildlife fund would pick up the bill. Not entirely sure what or how that works though.

Locally, we operate on a pay what you can, when you can basis and our vets usually work well after hours with some of the bigger herps (like Boris the Lacie) and large elapids. We're really very lucky to have such dedicated people. I recently witnessed my local vet (who's only a slightly built 5' 2") take down a large male Eastern Grey in a dive tackle that would have made any first grade player sit up and take notice! While I, on the other hand, bolted in the opposite direction and made a cowardly I.V sized hole through the nearest Hawthorn bush (still removing the thorns).

Great news that the snake recovered ok and was released. Well done.

Can you tell us a little about the "site"?; not where, but what happens there. Is is a denning site they use each year etc etc. Would be interesting to hear your observations. Lets hope those kids stay away from it.

I think it's mostly down to boredom. Funnily enough, the majority of the rehabs came in during the second week of the school holidays.

I can understand boredom. I lived on a property when I was young and i was bloody destructive....but never would I harm reptiles or mammals.

Awhile back I took a wild ELNT to a vet with some serious damage to it's carapace as a result of a run in with a lawn mower here in Vic. No costs incurred, and the vet mentioned that a wildlife fund would pick up the bill. Not entirely sure what or how that works though.

Didn't realise that. Thats good to know tho!

Can you tell us a little about the "site"?; not where, but what happens there. Is is a denning site they use each year etc etc. Would be interesting to hear your observations. Lets hope those kids stay away from it.

It's been occupied for the last several years by up to 5 adult female RBBS, which spend the colder months together there. "Denning " is a good description, I call it a "brumation site" for want of a better description. Not all the females are visible everyday, but at least two are regularly seen when weather permits. From as early as late August (26th) , the females begin to disperse along the creekline and aren't seen again back at the site until mid May. I am able to recognise the same individuals every year (through various visual references) which I've really come to look forward to:)! Occasionally, if I'm really fortunate, I've found large males "wrestling" not far from the den site, which are totally oblivious to my approach. I once sat and watched for 20 minutes, until one was persued across the creek by the other. Something new I've noticed this year is a local resident EB occupying the same site over Summer, obviously when "my girls" are elswhere.

Really wish I'd done a degree!

Attachments

• Tilbuster again 013 [1600x1200].jpg
    Tilbuster again 013 [1600x1200].jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Tilly 3 012 [1600x1200].jpg
    Tilly 3 012 [1600x1200].jpg
    282 KB · Views: 53
Geeze that would be sooo cool to watch! I am a little Jealous! Have never seen anything like that in the wild. If I ever come to Armidale :p I will be sure to hit you up. You can blind fold me and lead me to the hidden RBB wonder den lol. Am seeing more about the attraction to vens lately. They are pretty awesome. I particularly love tiger snakes and RBB. I might even down the track when I am older (so in my 30's) and own a house and can "convince" the wife :)

Being mostly cleared all along the creek for agriculture, I have a feeling this particular site may be the only one suitable and, perhaps, that's why so many females in the one spot? As far as I'm aware, females usually only come together later in the season while pregnant to form "creches" (ref: Rick Shine's work).

I'm not having a go at gecko boy (he's a victim of the system) but it shows how woeful the education system is these days, when I went to school in the 60's if my spelling, grammar and punctuation were that bad I would have been in detention for a month.Here we are in the 21st century with teachers demanding more money for doing less and children are being let down by the education department.It's no wonder the young people can't spell or use proper punctuation.
Sorry rant over.
i have to disagree with that , the education system may be lacking in some departments but it is not in the english department , there may be some slacker teachers out there ( i don't know never had one myself in english tends to be more in subjects like PE ) but the majority of english teachers encourage good grammar and spelling (other wise they wouldn't bother being an english teacher and would teach PE or something like it :))

its just that the kids of today are a little lazier with their grammar , it shows when you hand in a assignment in english imo most teachers will point out all grammar and spelling mistakes in red pen so the student can hopefully learn from reading over it , problem is they don't
ps im not a spelling or grammar nazi as is evident in my post (lack of full stops and im not changing it for no one ;) )

It's been occupied for the last several years by up to 5 adult female RBBS, which spend the colder months together there. "Denning " is a good description, I call it a "brumation site" for want of a better description. Not all the females are visible everyday, but at least two are regularly seen when weather permits. From as early as late August (26th) , the females begin to disperse along the creekline and aren't seen again back at the site until mid May. I am able to recognise the same individuals every year (through various visual references) which I've really come to look forward to:)! Occasionally, if I'm really fortunate, I've found large males "wrestling" not far from the den site, which are totally oblivious to my approach. I once sat and watched for 20 minutes, until one was persued across the creek by the other. Something new I've noticed this year is a local resident EB occupying the same site over Summer, obviously when "my girls" are elswhere.

Thanks IV; really interesting and very lucky to see the male combat.

I thought Armidale was notoriously cold in winter; any ideas what sort of temps you see them basking in then?

I wonder how far they disperse from there in summer?... and do you ever come across individuals you recognise then?

Really wish I'd done a degree!

You can always learn that stuff from books; field experience and keen observation is far more valuable IMHO and sadly lacking in most graduates. Some of the best herpetologists I know have never been near a university!

I thought Armidale was notoriously cold in winter; any ideas what sort of temps you see them basking in then?

I wonder how far they disperse from there in summer?... and do you ever come across individuals you recognise then?

Regularly into the minus temps over winter, Armidale PO is at the 980M mark, so much of the area is over 1000M (we have Snow Gums and occasional snow). Having said that, this particular site is a granite rock face with a northerly aspect, is sheltered from prevailing winds and recieves many hours of full sun in winter. I have recorded surface temps of 25C+ degrees with my trusty temp gun on days when the air temp is less than 10C!

I've also been fortunate enough to find said "girls" on numerous occasions over the warmer months within only a few K's (at the most) from the brumation site. Mostly observed hunting/ shuttling and always singly. Though, on one occasion, I was able to tail two of them when they both dived down the same small hole and got stuck:). Occasionally I do see large, unknown males (which rarely stay around long) and juveniles, but as yet no unrecognised females?!

A week from release and back into the routine:). She'll be easy to ID this season (thanks Kiddies).

Attachments

• Revisit 250712 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    Revisit 250712 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Revisit 250712 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    Revisit 250712 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 40
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back