Not your Average afternoon!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Simone, Ill bring ya along, was definately an experience! And to think I only wanted some diamonds shots and thats what I end up doin!

Wouldn't take it back and I would do it again.

You're definately a crazy illegitimate child! I'll stick to my pythons thanks :lol:

Mmmm, nice snakes. Dont know whats more dangerous, free handling vens or letting your dragons drive? :wink:

I'm sure alot of people free handle elapids in the privacy of their homes. Perhaps it is best kept private, I dont know? I appreciate the pics and they do well to show elapids as the peace loving animals I believe them to be. But......my concern is not for you, rather "our" hobby. I'm sure most herpers understand the potential of negative press that would be generated toward herpetoculture if one of our own were to suffer a serious bite. If this has been considered, and you still decide to free handle, then so be it. We live in a "freeish" community and part of that is to take the good with the bad.
I see a place in our hobby for vens, but those who keep them are in a position of trust, as their actions can have an effect on us all.
I think you were after peoples opinions, so I gave mine.

Well said Olivehydra, everyone is free to there own opinion I hold no grudges.

Yeah hix, sure did! You comin next time too!?

** My Comment **

To me free handling dangerous elapids is a bit like speeding. Most of the time you will get away with it but you will eventually get caught/bitten.

To me it sets a poor example to put up images like this without a warning indicating that these are domesticated animals used to being handled, don't try this unless you know the animals etc. etc.

Recently we were wandering through the bush near Melbourne and came across a 1.2 meter tiger snake. I started taking pictures but my 21 year old son (who should know better) tried to pick it up. After some discussion the explanation he gave was that he had seen them picked up many times on TV and knew how to do it. He also said that he was surprised when he went to tail it and the head of the snake swung around defensively.

There is a bit of a worry showing pictures like this to kids of any age who have limited first hand experience of dangerous elapids. (Particularly if they are used to a house with fairly placid pythons.) "Do what I say and not what you see others do" just does not cut it with kids.

NICE pics of SPECTACULAR specimens, I do not like venemous in general but some of them are really good ones. Regarding handling those snakes I respect everyone's will to do so, maybe better if emphasizing the need to be almost expertise to do it in a such way as Steve definitely is.
Just my 2%
Cheers
Stfano

Is that last one Ceasar?
oh, BTW, your actions are extremely foolhardy. I would not recommend anyone else imitate pugsley or handle vens in such a manner.

Well done Steve, was this your first time free handling vens? you look pretty comfortable with them. Well maybe slightly nervous in one shot! :)

Not a stevens its a broadhead.
Youll get tagged sooner or later, fool.

God I love death adders!!! And that one's beautiful Pugs :D

You're still a dickhead though :lol: ;)

I don't really agree with freehandling vens...in a way I'd love to do it but the consequences of a bite just aren't gonna be fun lol.

Yeah point taken I should have added a "do not try this at home" sign on there, ohwell.

As for foolhardy yeah probably was!

True blue I wont get tagged sooner or later, its the one and probably only time I will be holding vens!

The gentlemen who owns these has been freehandling for 40 years and still hasnt been tagged so I wasn't real concerned.

Yes Ouzo, death adder was a bit more scary! Still a great thrill though.

But for sure, no one try this at home!

nice shots i love death adders especially the red ones. did he start handling them right after they hatched? i would be interested to know his method? maybe when they are really small he uses the holding them cupped in your hand method so they start associating your smell with being safe, so when you handle them they stay nice and calm.

andrew

Nope, just lets the snake know he isnt there to harm it, and they remain calm, quite increadible actually, of course with great care!

Look this isnt for everyone and I was expecting the "Your crazy!" responses that ok, and I in no way condone freehandling unless you know what you are doing. etc.

Just thought I would show a few vens off, I was going to cut my head out but thought bugger it lol

Very nice snakes mate. Its always an interesting topic and one that is bound to stir up contraversy. I have seen people free handle vens before and while i was genually concerned every second it was in their hand you have to appreciate the understanding of these people. Maybe if you have a look at it the same way as someone that works with tigers. There is always a chance of a bad day or mistake but it does not stop them from the desire to study these animals further. Mal Giddings (a highly respected marine biologist) was one of the if not the first to swin in open water with great white sharks. He said that in this way he gained a greater intimacy with an animal he had comed to love, respect and admire. Of course there is always people that say that he is foolish but i guess there is those out there that think keeping snakes is rediculous. Having said all that you are a braver man than I. Be careful mate!

Thanks mate appreciate that comment good stuff.

Firstly pugs great pictures and very impressive animals :) ...............But....people should know that these actions are very serious and should not be taken lightly.
IMO freehandling Elapids is fine for very experienced keepers.....But again be warned, like playing with fire it might be all fun and smiles but when somthing goes wrong it happens very quickly and turns very serious.

Speaking from experience :oops: but JMO

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back