NSW new reptile laws..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armand

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey, just a question on the new NSW laws: are petstores allowed to sell reptiles in 2008+?? I have heard both yes and no answers so just thought i might post this and see what your opinion is..

hey, just a question on the new NSW laws: are petstores allowed to sell reptiles in 2008+?? I have heard both yes and no answers so just thought i might post this and see what your opinion is..

Definitely "NOT" to my knowledge on the subject! There is a pet shop lobby group trying to push for this. It will probably happen in the future but i don't think from next year!

I would TOTTALY HATE for that to happen :evil:

why not just have similar laws to qld?
childrens and lizards only or something along those lines

how come you guys dont want it to happen?? id want it to happen so people can get more knowledge about them and see some diffrent types and see that they arn't evil or aggro..

it would be a fad and peeps would buy em, like them for like a month and then say "oh this is boring and release in the wild". that would be a problem. then again pet shops could have a money back garuntee or something like that.

I was told from a guy that owns a reptile supplies shop that they were in the process of approving them for sale in pet shops starting from next year. Maybe instead of just letting any old pet shop sell them (like Pets Paradise, blah) only 'reptile dedicated' shops could sell them. Like this guy for example, he only had stuff for reptiles, no other pets and yes even limit the reptiles he sells to the basic lizards, childrens etc as 'eladidare' suggested.

it would be a fad and peeps would buy em, like them for like a month and then say "oh this is boring and release in the wild". that would be a problem. then again pet shops could have a money back garuntee or something like that.

How would that be any different anyone buying privately? There are plenty of ads on the net where I could go buy a new reptile from someone today. How is buying something from a pet store more likely to be dumped or not looked after than buying it privately?

How would that be any different anyone buying privately? There are plenty of ads on the net where I could go buy a new reptile from someone today. How is buying something from a pet store more likely to be dumped or not looked after than buying it privately?
The only thing with the pet store issue (that I can see) is alot of people stop and look in pet shops just for the heck of it while they are doing other shopping (eg. in the big shopping centres) and if they see these reptiles it could be a spur of the moment not thought through purchase. Whereas to buy privately you have to be pretty much interested in reptiles to hunt down a supplier and it's less likely to be an on the spot decision. At the end of the day if someone gets ANY pet without planning for it it is irresponsible.

I don't think pet stores should even be allowed to keep dogs and cats on premises, An ideal solution would be to have pet stores work in collaboration with animal breeders, Animals on the books so to speak, a prospective buyer can look through a selection of available stock photos, The pet store could arrange the deal and make a small commission (a finders fee if you will) In this instance the animals would be less stressed, the seller does not necessarily have to deal with the buyer, and the pet stores can assist in setting up the new buyer with equipment, feeding supplies ect. ect

yeah i head a definately yes from someone who owns a shop and wants to sell them. it's also being dicussed that pet shop won't be able to mammals next year ie dog and cats. so if both these laws come to pass i'm guessing reptiles will just replace dogs and cats in the shop. although funny that this proposed law on the sale of mammals only covers the "cut and fluffy" animals still allowing pet shops to sell birds, fish insects and now potenially reptiles.

Hope the NSW authorities come to thier senses and not
allow the selling of reps throught pet shops, they are allowed
here in vic and the amount of reps that are not looked after properly
would astound you!
All they are worried about is getting the high price for the rep with
as little input as possible, and they are a huge source of mite infections

i think it's a good idea they take them away from pet shops cos mattmc is right to some people snakes and stuff are just a fad and to be honest most pet shops are just in it for the money and not the wellfare of the animal 9some are but 95% arn't) and it you get it from a private seller they can give you good personal advise on the snake they are selling and it can be less dodgy

yeaq im in QLD and here the RSPCA is ment to regulate the pet shops (every 3 months) and check on the wellfare of the animals and the cleanleness of shops and stuff like that and in the year that i worked at one i never saw them once! its terable

A meeting is being held later this month with NPWS.

This is one of the items on the agenda. If approved it will allow sale of reptiles in some petshops.

Other items on the agenda to be discussed are Womas to class 1 and allowing hobbyists to advertise commercially (ie. newspapers, trading post etc). If these are approved the changes will take effect pretty much straight away. Who knows....maybe womas on the christmas list for many :)

Jonny

you are alowewd to do that anyway arn't you? i swear ive seen them in the paper before and you are alowed 2 restricted reptiles anyway (im talking in QLD by the way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back