NSW new reptile laws..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is alot to be sorted out with the petshop thing, and I can't see it happening too soon, things like accreditation courses may need to be set up ect. It won't happen over night, but it will happen........

After witnessing only negative effects here in QLD due to the sale of reptiles in pet shops, I fail to see why any herpers in other states would support it?

I'm totally in favour of getting rid of dogs and cats in pet shops and can't believe they'd then allow herps. The whole point of getting rid of dogs and cats is that people make stupid purchases of overpriced animals, don't take enough care of them and then dump them! Yes, I know some dog owners who have really done right thing with pet shop dogs, but I've also been to rescue centres with literally hundreds of former pet shop pups that have been dumped (that is where Fang the fluff dog came from). Why do they think this wouldn't happen with herps! At least the licensing requirement keeps people from making a total spur of the moment purchase, but it's still not a great barrier.

I was recently dragged into a pet shop by my daughter and was horrified by the advice the shop gave to the people buying a puppy. (I finally blurted out that their puppy would use the lovely soft cushion bed for teething and that a plastic bed with a few old towels would be a better investment.) There are some shops with good advice, but the one I'm thinking of does not sell puppies - just sells the right gear and gives the right advice.

regardless of what happens with the sale of mammals in shops if reps are allowed in next year i've basically told my boss it would be a terrible idea to get them and she trusts my opinon on this so unless the head office of the cooperate *****s who brought us out decide else wise we won;t get herps. i love them but i realise how hard they are to mantain on mass and realisticaly i don't think anyone could manage it well in a shop setting unless they were only selling herps, had a team of keepers to staff or working in an out of home setting like at canberra exotics

exactly bredli that's what most poeple who come into PETshop don;t get and as much as i try and explain it to them most just don't get it so lets all get a snake for our 9 year old son who has been nagging me and when he gets bored of it i'll just let it go in the bush, or better yet i'll just catch a wild lizard and he can play with that a while, *sigh* sorry just venting, i don't hate my job, just the majority of poeple that it exposes me to

i think it would be good to sell reptiles in shops but with conditions

*the shop has to get a license
*the shop has to have staff that have experience in keeping reptiles
*be limited in the number of reptiles they have in the shop at any one time
*restrict the species they can have
* heavy fines if they aren't looked after properly

most people thing snakes are horrible creatures i know when i first got mine my parents and the neighbors that knew were horrified and when they finally saw the snake it completely changed their opinion of them and now like them.
they also can't make a spare of the moment purchase as you need to be licensed to keep them.
i also don't see a difference from a pet shop selling them then say a business like Snake Ranch, SXR breeding them to sell to people, they are commercial business.

Unfortunately peoples reasoning that if more people own snakes, than less people will fear them is pretty flawed. Some of the most ridiculous comments and stories I have heard about snakes have come from people with a Spotted Python in a fish tank. Just recently a pet shop employee tried to tell me how he had to relocate a 16 foot long Carpet Python that could easily kill a kid - all of this in front of some very shocked customers.

After witnessing only negative effects here in QLD due to the sale of reptiles in pet shops, I fail to see why any herpers in other states would support it?

The major push for reptiles in NSW shops isn't coming from herpers. I'd rather see them out of the shops but it will happen.

the amount of poeple who come into my work asking for them definately shows the market is there for them to be in shops and where there's a market there's poeple wanting to make money off it, IMO the push is from the shops not herpers, it's already easy for us to get a hold of reps

i give it a yes, but only to shops that have reptile products with all eqipment need from rocks to set up enclosures. and it would be better in some ways like if u cant get to a breeders house u canonly get picks where as if u go to the shop and choose the one u like and want u can purchase making sure u have your reptile license with u when purchesing. and it will be goood because reptiles would be aloud in shops and u can take them to get sexed with out needing to go to a vet or breeder., and u can get an extensive knolege and need for the reptiles and what they look like and their conditions needed for the reptile to live long and healthy.. but in saying that also having an inspection every month surprise to check on th health and well being of the animal and its comditions

so a yes from me.

i think it would be good to sell reptiles in shops but with conditions

*the shop has to get a license
*the shop has to have staff that have experience in keeping reptiles
*be limited in the number of reptiles they have in the shop at any one time
*restrict the species they can have
* heavy fines if they aren't looked after properly

most people thing snakes are horrible creatures i know when i first got mine my parents and the neighbors that knew were horrified and when they finally saw the snake it completely changed their opinion of them and now like them.
they also can't make a spare of the moment purchase as you need to be licensed to keep them.
i also don't see a difference from a pet shop selling them then say a business like Snake Ranch, SXR breeding them to sell to people, they are commercial business.

agreed good i deas

Like I have said before....petshops hire young people so they don't have to pay much in wages...they have neither the experience and knowledge to be giving out information on how to keep reptiles. It is far more complex than keeping a cat or dog.
Some of the advice that I have heard that has come from petshops is appalling............

JMO...I would like to clarify that there are some decent pet shops out there but they would be few and far between...so it is a big HOPE NOT from me!!

Well, there is no way they will stop cats and dogs from being sold in petshops, the government isn't going to say, "Oh Yeah, lets stop a $4 billion dollar industry"

Reptiles will be available, eventually, in pet shops, but it will be a little while yet, There is a lot more than just saying Yes and it happens over night. They have to have pollicies and procedures put in place, some sort of training for staff and a licencsing system for shop owners, then there is the debate about reasonable cage sizes. Besides all that, the Minister has to approve any decisions NPWS makes and until he agrees, nothing will happen.

well i am looking foreward to being able to get a decent range of reptile gear i shops near me( live in rural area). the sops say they wont till they can sell reptiles... v frustrating. i have to travel 1.5-2.5 hrs away to get to a good shop for supplies. so am hoping the decision is a plus for some>>> if and when it happens.

could someone please link me with the acutal law being stated by NSW National Parks & Wildlife?
i did a google search & couldn't find it.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back