NSW new reptile laws..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it woujld be good poepel would go into a petshop see it and be like god thier awsome but a bit over priced go on the net find websites like this and behooked fo life:D

we dont want another US crisis happening where people release them into the wild!

y is every1 talking about releasing into the wild???
for 1 they have to go through the whole licsence system b4 they can even purcase a reptile
and these arnt snakes that grow to 16ft and 200lbs im pretty sure they would just resell via the net to make there money back...

but with that said i to do not agree with pet shops owning reptiles mainly due to the lack of care they would recieve

cheers
ben/...

tell me if i have heard wrong but apparently there is a new reptile shop opening near liverpool (western subs syd) that will be selling basic lincence reptiles.I gota leaflet yesterday from my friend who was making them for the company.

The really good pet shop in our area was featured in a story in the local paper. Apparently the new law bans the sale of ALL mammals. That means no more mice or rats when you need to pop out for a quick feed. I assume that this does not include frozen mice/rats! The pet shop owner pointed out that there are no rescue societies or well organised groups of breeders for pocket pets (rabbit and rodents), so this would make it difficult for people to get them. They need to re-write the law for just cats and dogs - and not allow the sale of herps!

Like I have said before....petshops hire young people so they don't have to pay much in wages...they have neither the experience and knowledge to be giving out information on how to keep reptiles. It is far more complex than keeping a cat or dog.
Some of the advice that I have heard that has come from petshops is appalling............

JMO...I would like to clarify that there are some decent pet shops out there but they would be few and far between...so it is a big HOPE NOT from me!!

I, as a 'young person', disagree with your view that age pretty much defines ability, and knowledge. Experience perhaps but it can be difficult to get expirience in herps. There are most definantely some 'young people' with the ability.

I AM STILL AM AGAINST REPTILES BEING SOLD IN NSW PET SHOPS.

However not for the reason of 'young people'. If reptiles are bought into NSW petshops. I'll be the first person to apply for a job there. Just so the animals are looked after adequately.

I, as a 'young person', disagree with your view that age pretty much defines ability, and knowledge. Experience perhaps but it can be difficult to get expirience in herps. There are most definantely some 'young people' with the ability.

I AM STILL AM AGAINST REPTILES BEING SOLD IN NSW PET SHOPS.

However not for the reason of 'young people'. If reptiles are bought into NSW petshops. I'll be the first person to apply for a job there. Just so the animals are looked after adequately.

I think you may have taken Garthnfays comments a bit too personally, there are some young people out there that do have knowledge on reptiles and some that have plenty of hands on experience, but when you go to a pet shop, most of the young staff have little or no idea as most are new to the pet industry and have very little experience in general and seeing as they don't sell reptiles, in NSW anyway, they have no real reason to learn and some probably don't want to know anyway.

could someone please link me with the acutal law being stated by NSW National Parks & Wildlife?
i did a google search & couldn't find it.

thanks.

There is no actual law being stated by NPWS at this stage as it is still being discussed and nothing has been taken to NPWS at this stage.

I think you may have taken Garthnfays comments a bit too personally, there are some young people out there that do have knowledge on reptiles and some that have plenty of hands on experience, but when you go to a pet shop, most of the young staff have little or no idea as most are new to the pet industry and have very little experience in general and seeing as they don't sell reptiles, in NSW anyway, they have no real reason to learn and some probably don't want to know anyway.

The pet shop I go to for my products and food have staff younger than myself and they know more than most people about reptiles.
I have been through other pet shops where the staff were older and you expect them to have the experience and the info given was absolute rubbish (and that wasn't about herps).
Age is a factor and in todays world the younger person actually has a lot more interest than someone a little older.
I still believe that they should not be sold or kept in pet shops as people get enough animals already without having a clue on how to care for that animal.
Advice from pet shop staff who know nothing.
What about the poor rep. who has to sit there while people gather around, point and tap on glass etc. would not like that for myself.....

As long as it is regulated and restriceted to certain certain reptiles like beardies it can only be good for the hobby.

I think it would be good for the 'interest' if reptiles were sold in stores.

It would bring it out from the unkown darkness it currently inhabits. Many people are fascinated by reptiles and even finding out about them in a pet store is educating people that would be normally.

If it came to pass, stores should be licenced to sell snakes just as keepers must be licenced to keep them. If the store owner/ manager has experience through keeping reptiles then they should be able to sell them. However, I feel that only class 1 (NSW) animals should be for sale, definately nothing venomous.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back