Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
i was sunning my diamond python outside on tuesday this week and noticed something quite disturbing :?
looking at some of his belly scales, some of them seem to be edged in blood. its not really the large under belly scales, its the ones to the sides of them. i will attach some pics ive just taken to let you see for yourselves. he has already been to the vet the same day we found it: he took a look at the scales and in his mouth and that looks fine so he said we should wait until after he sheds because he suspects they will be gone by then. if not, the possibilities are a bacterial infection or blister disease :(

has anyone else ever seen anything like this? i dont see how it could be either of those because his cage is always kept clean and i was under the impression that it was a high humidity problem that causes blister disease - correct me if im wrong - the humidity in his cage is never very high so i dont see how that would work :?

anyway thanx for any info you guys may have for me and sorry if it is hard to see on the pics - had to reduce the size in order to attach em on here :?

ok i have zoomed in on one section of one of those pics - hopefully it works...

thanx mick :) the vet doesnt seem too concerned at this stage but i just wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas :?

I don't know either. However, I have observed that my diamond flushes VERY pink when she's feeding. Increased blood circulation and all that. However, this usually fades after she's finished eating. Hope all goes well for you.

Zoe,
It doesn't look like a blister disease or scale rot, I have seen this type of thing on snakes that have spent too long on a heat source, the belly scales don't seem to be affected on the surface as much as the side scales, probably because they are tougher, as they are designed for the majority of ear and tear.

Sometimes snakes can get thermal burns without even noticing it until hours after it has happened. Burns aren't always bad open wounded scaring types.

What's your heating set-up like?
Has he been spending alot of time around the heat source?
If you have been cooling him, he might be spending more time on a heat mat to keep as warm as he can. ??

Just looking through my book ?What?s Wrong With My Snake? and the closest thing I could find was on page 44, for those who have the book.
The pic shows something in the area like your pics, unfortunately its only black and white, not coloured.

It says, a change in the texture and colour of the skin could be a bacterial, or fungal infection, which can be treated with antibiotics.

I?m not saying that?s what it is, and I hope it turns out be nothing and clears up after the next shed.

neil, i initially thought it could be a burn because his light globe doesnt have a cover on it atm (i know - bad mother - but its being fixed next thursday) but when the vet saw it he didnt think thats what it was :?
the set up is just 1 x 50W infra-red globe - he never coils around it or anything but i guess im not watching him 24 hours a day...he doesnt spend a lot of time near the heat, but he has been a lot more active lately so maybe he's crawled over it at some point? :?

artie, i borrowed that book off afro last night and that was the closest thing i could find too. unfortunately like you said, it being black and white its hard to tell if the colour is anything like jules'. :?

Artie said:
It says, a change in the texture and colour of the skin could be a bacterial, or fungal infection, which can be treated with antibiotics.

Fish get a simular looking infection, generally caused by a bacterial infection and/or dirty water ie enviromental conditions. Have a look in you enclosures and try and ID anywhere that bacteria could thrive. What are you using as a substrate?

Looks like a slight burn, i wouldn't be to concerned.

Hope everything is ok with your Diamond python Zoe, seems like a small dot in the middle of each reddish part between the scales, are there no parasite/wormlike protrusions if you look close?

we're using newspaper fuscy...theres a piece of driftwood, a branch, some toilet rolls as hides and a small mushroom that is supposed to be a mouse/rat play toy thingy...thats everything that makes up the enclosure.

parko i cant see any worm-like or parasitic protrusions :?

most of my diamonds or carpets have done this but it is useally when they are coming up for a shed, also a mate has an 8ft pair that always do it and there is nothing wrong with my snakes or his. just my opinion.

Zoe, I have seen this on my Diamonds heaps of times. It never seems to effect them and disappears with the next shed. What it is I have no idea for sure. I thought it may be bruising of the scales due to a slight fall, but again I am not sure. Unless he shows other signs of an illness I would not waste any more money on a vet. Its a common unknown problem that should go away.

cool guys that sounds positive! the vet didnt charge me for the visit so its not too bad. he did ask if he had shed recently so maybe thats a possible cause? some sort of trauma when removing the old skin? anyway thanx heaps for your help everyone...we will see what happens after the next shed. i was going to feed him tonight too - do u think that is a bad idea at all? he's at the 3 week mark now since his last meal.

Zoe My diamonds do have same pink coloring sometimes. Not that distinktive like your snake. Some times to much handling give them this reaction. Some times they have it before then I take them from cage. Desapeers in few days and come back again. Vet told me not to be concern about it.

Thanks for posting Zo, glad to hear it is nothing to worry about.
I've not seen this in my Diamond at all, but thank to your pics, now I know that if I do ever see it I needn't go into one of my usual panics.
Cheers,
Nic

do yours go sort of a general pink belly colour slatey or in the same spots as my little guy's?

lol nicole im like you with the panics :oops: called the vet as soon as i saw it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back