Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreliaMatt

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This could get a bit contreversial and may well have been covered before, but no real straight answers were found in my searching!

I understand that some people dont handle or like handling their pythons, and i respect this as a personal preferance! im just after a general conception of peoples views.

Im after peoples personal opinions and experiences!
please vote and/or post your comments!

Cheers!

Matt

Re: RE: Opinions On Best Handling Python

NinaPeas said:
You mean the most calm when handling??

yes i do.

also thanks SW and Kersten for your input

I voted for Coastal, I haven't owned a lot of snakes but from personal experience my male coastal was an awesome handler.

My female bredli is a pretty good handler, she isn't too keen when getting her out, but she never even looks like striking and once out she is perfect.

Of the two blond macs I have owned, the female was a little restless, would never strike but you could tell she wasn't keen on handling. The male was an awesome handler, he never seemed to care about being handled, he just went with the flow, a lot like my coastal however the coastal was better.

Of my most recent additions, 2 female jungles, one is an absolute pussy cat and the other a ferocious lion!! They both soiled their enclosures today so I had no choice but to get them out (they are supposed to be settling in), the nice once was a dream (reminded me of my coastal), not scared but a little weary (she is only very tiny so understandable) and the other "not so nice" one had a munch on me twice and never left the strike pose the whole time. I find it amazing the completely different temprement of siblings...

Not a whole lot of experience, but thats my journey so far. But yeah as has been said already, I think it comes down to each individual snake.

Cheers, :)

RE: Re: RE: Opinions On Best Handling Python

you forgot macs and stimi's people have said they are good beginer snake and just cos of their size...

From what I've seen in previous threads, anything but 50% Jungles & 100% Scrubbies!

My juvenile male Olive is a f'n psycho in his enclosure, but a darling once he's out :?

Just tp throw a spanner in the works Bigblackdog, I've only seen two jungles (both Athertons) who weren't psycho nuts (though I have heard of others)...and I've seen a few placid scrubbies :wink:

Re: RE: Opinions On Best Handling Python

Kersten said:
soulweaver said:
You know it is a strange day when someone agrees with me ;)
I'm a strange person :wink: :lol:

It would be wrong to argue this point :lol:

They say scrubbies can be a bit nasty when growing, but then they become more placid when they get close to full size. :?

Go the scrubby!!! :twisted: Or maybe the Inland Taipan :lol: Sorry... Think it's up to the individual snake

I voted Woma because all mine are complete pussycats. All the others seem to vary from snake to snake but Diamonds are pretty good, Bredli pretty good and Darwins seem OK.

Generally ( And i mean generally) of the snakes Iv encountered the bigger snakes are more placid than young ones.

Large Olive pythons and Larger Scrub pythons are great handlers, with only the smaller stuff getting aggressive.

In contrast to what everone else says, I think that all carpet pythons are biters and have varying degrees of agressivness.

BHP tend to be all about bluffing and are usually very placid.

Waters tend not to be overly aggressive, maybe biting here and there but are not overly vicious.

Childrens are great, you might get 1 in 10 that is a bit bitey but generally very placid.

If I had to vote it would have to be either the childrens or olive.

RE: .

I'm saying MD (cause my MD is awesome) but I agree with the others it's really up to the particular animal....from my experience most pythons species are great. Although I know Jungles are often snappy and this is pretty much all the time, some do calm down but they are a snappy python by nature. I lost a lot of blood from mine .... lol :oops: :lol:

i have a friend that has a olive that is really agressive against him and his wife, but when i handled it was fine and ive seen this before with other snakes to, so maybe the person handling the snake has affect to and this olive im talkin bout is aorund 2m mark so not full grown... and it even let me prob it without any hassel it a big girl literally lol

My diamond is a bit nervy when first being handled but never snappy and she settles pretty quickly. Ive also known 2 olives the female agreat handler but the male aggressive so I agree its an individual thing.

I said Diamonds but thats because I have a favourite Diamond that I got to spend more time with from the time I got him.But the black headed is pretty good too. My Coastals can be a bit iffy at times and my other Diamond is blind.
I think its up to each individual herp as to what there temprement is like.Up to each individual handler as well.Depends on what your tolerence is and how much time your going to put into your snake or snakes.
Even though I put Diamond does not mean there all trusting,I have met a few that have wanted to take a zap at me the moment I come near the enclosure. :) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back