Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm, true, except that I could see him for the majority of the time he was there. Hence me saying, that I saw.
sorry again. but like you have said, majority of the time. thats not all the time.
think its time that Luke was here speaking for himself insted of everyone else speaking for him

ok guys i have not read all the pages but i have read the first and this OPMV seems pritty bad but *** is it can someone explain to me plz cuz i dont even know what it stands for and id like to know if its not to much to ask

ty

ok guys i have not read all the pages but i have read the first and this OPMV seems pritty bad but *** is it can someone explain to me plz cuz i dont even know what it stands for and id like to know if its not to much to ask

ty

google it, there has been some links posted in this thread;
there are so many different opinions people trying to all explain there own in a thread wouldnt end nicely.

it stands for Ophidian Paramyoxvirus

Well what are you trying to say ? that all snakes involved should be put down ?
Lock down at this stage is about the only logical thing to do ,and if owners that bought from this breeder fear it could involve them as well then yes lock down for those snakes as well .
as I said before dont jump the gun ..

Nah not put down. What I'm trying to say is that if the breeders are worried enough to lockdown then shouldn't everyone else who bought from them in the last 6 months should be doing the same.

Nah not put down. What I'm trying to say is that if the breeders are worried enough to lockdown then shouldn't everyone else who bought from them in the last 6 months should be doing the same.

I have already noted in this thread, that i am locking down. Unfortunatly we cant force anyone to do it, its a choice they have to make.

i would love to see how many snakes are brought out of their enclusures this weekend at the expo

I have already noted in this thread, that i am locking down. Unfortunatly we cant force anyone to do it, its a choice they have to make.

Yeah I know you've done the right thing arbok. I spose it's also abit hard for other buyers if the breeders won't even contact the buyers they've had to let them know of the situation. for all we know there could be some poor bugger out there who doesnt use APS, selling his snakes not even knowing that they could be infected...

I think there should be an expectation to lock down in situations like these, its what im doing, its what arboks doing and its what icemans doing.

i would love to see how many snakes are brought out of their enclusures this weekend at the expo

Yeah I reckon! I'd be very cautious taking mine there. And I'd be rolling around in a bath of disinfectant after attending lol :D

I think there should be an expectation to lock down in situations like these, its what im doing, its what arboks doing and its what icemans doing.

Mmm i know you guys are doing the right thing, but my question was that you aren't the only two people that have bought from iceman in the last 6 months... What is being done by the breeders to let these other buyers know of the situation and that they should be locking down aswell (as not all of them would be APS members)? It only takes one infected snake to cause alot of devastation!

Hygiene protocols will be in place for the expo as has been the case from previous years..I can't speak for anyone else but NO ONE will be handling our animals under any circumstances,it was always going to be this way well before these threads were started.Here is a snip of the procedures.

Hygiene Protocol :

• All reptiles are to be brought to the show in a white or light-coloured cotton bag or pillowslip inside a ventilated sturdy clear plastic container with securely clipped on lid.

• All reptiles will be inspected for mites or any obvious signs of disease before being allowed entry to the exhibition area.
• Exhibitors will not be able to handle reptiles other than their own.
• Reptiles are not to be removed from the cage until the end of the show, unless authorised by an official or veterinarian, appointed by the show committee.
• Judges, officials, veterinarians or anyone handling animals should take care to keep their clothing and equipment clean, and disinfect hands between handling reptiles.
• Any unauthorised person removing a reptile from a display cage will be asked to leave the show immediately.
• All cages are to be brand new, having never held animals prior to the show.
• Cages should all be on the one level and not stacked. An exception will be made in the case of multiple entries in the same class being entered by the one exhibitor. A maximum of two cages may be stacked at any one time.
• Breeders Choice®, or butchers paper is to be used as a substrate. Other substrates are not acceptable.
• Hygiene stations providing F10® or Virkon® spray will be available at strategic points (pre-show inspection table, inspection room and throughout the exhibition area) so that handlers can disinfect their hands immediately after contact with a reptile.
• A veterinarian will be present or at least contactable by telephone during the course of the show.
• A quarantine room will be available for close inspection or isolation of suspect reptiles.
• A footbath containing a suitable disinfectant such as F10® or Virkon® shall be at the entrance to this room. Everyone entering or leaving the room shall use the footbath.
• Reptiles can only be removed from a container once inside the examination room. Only owners, designated officials or the appointed veterinarian may handle the reptile. After handling a reptile, hands must be disinfected prior to leaving the room. The owner or those nominated by owner must be easily reachable or preferably to stay with the animal(s) for the duration of the show.

Mmm i know you guys are doing the right thing, but my question was that you aren't the only two people that have bought from iceman in the last 6 months... What is being done by the breeders to let these other buyers know of the situation and that they should be locking down aswell (as not all of them would be APS members)? It only takes one infected snake to cause alot of devastation!

Thats a very good question, im interested in frogboys movements coz as far as i know he is in the exact same position as arbok and I

ideally thats what should happen, but realistically will it happen. we'll wait and see

If it is opmv, wouldn't the other two be dead also or at least showing some signs?

There has also been cases of asymptomatic carriers where the animal can be a carrier of the virus without developing symptoms.

fugawi..please read back through this thead as i have posted a couple of links that explains about OPMV and how it is claimed to be spred between animals. i hope that helps you to understand this alittle. if you cant find these links pm me

Just 1 from 3 dies?

Snakes with OPMV can live up to 12 months before showing any signs of OPMV. Also as FC has said there have also been cases where they don't show signs at all..
Furthermore, even if it isn't OPMV, it could be some other retro virus which still poses a major threat to iceman's collection and anyone else's collection that have bought from him. Simple solution: all breeders and buyers involved in the last 6 months, LOCKDOWN!

One thing i really wanted to question is the amount of information available out there about quarantining animals that have been bought. Although I have only been into snakes for over a year, I have done so much reading and research about them. Never once in all the articles I have read about husbandry and care for reps have I seen anything about quarantining them. Also, I have never once been told from any seller I have bought from to make sure to quaranteen the animal. In terms of OPMV, I didn't even know what it was until this whole situation arose.

I think that there somehow needs to be alot more information for newbies out there and the sellers could definitely help by giving them detailed instructions on what's important when they start their collections. Anyone wish to comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back