Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is so very true. You just don't know where it is going to come from. If you did, you would have stopped it before it got into your collection.

These ppl wanting to name and discredit other ppl, think about this point. How many animals are entered in Expo's - for show or sale. How many animals are kept in pet shops, you go in there to look at them and don't think twice about what you could be taking home. Just remember not a lot is known about OPMV. We know it is contagious but is it airborne, or does it have to have direct contact with another reptile to be passed on. It is known that direct contact is a cause for spread, but nobody has proven that it isn't airborne. Why isn't there a vaccine or a cure? How did it sneak up on these ppl in question here? It had to come from somewhere. The answer is never going to be obvious or nobody would find themselves in this situation.

I understand the word OPMV brings about panic and alarm. I would be devestated to lose my collection. But naming and blaming isn't going to help anybody. It is obvious they aren't trying to hide the possibility of a problem, they aren't continuing trading so why keep trying point fingers and make them feel worse then they already do. They haven't committed a crime, they have received news of possible extreme bad luck to their beautiful collections. Remember these ppl don't want t lose their animals any more than you are frightened of it coming to you.
OPMV has been found not to be airborne. its believed to be spred through direct contact between snakes, mites from one snake to the other, saliva on feeding tongs transfered to another snake, swapping of water bowls between enclosures or washing water bowls or enclosures with the same cloth.

I wouldn't waste my time Neil, someone's got such an inpenatrable ego LOL

but i won't pass anymore comments

Not sure if this is relevant or not.
In some of my pervious jobs I have worked with infectious diseases. It was a great learning experience. The principle of “barrier nursing” to halt a disease’s spread is, I believe, essential when dealing with any viral/bacterial threat. Studying diseases like HIV/AIDS HEP A,B and C, TB, MRSA and VRE has opened my eyes to the ease in which a virus can spread.
I use copious amounts of alcohol hand wash and quarantine ALL new arrivals. Utensils are autoclaved and enclosures are regularly cleaned. Hand wash is used before I enter and after I leave my collection room the same for any one else who enters the room. After dealing with another’s animals, before I enter my room, clothes are discarded and I shower and go through the alcohol hand wash routine again.

A bit anal I know, however, after studying and dealing with infectious diseases you just can’t be too careful with those little viral buggers

Wow, so hygiene measures would be second nature to you. I know a lot ppl do use hand washes, but often their intentions weaken and the barriers get dropped. This is where trouble comes in. Nobody is perfect. We can only do our best, learn as we go.

mysnakesau
after doing the job for several years i does become second nature alright.
i have recently been on a team looking at this stinking swine flu. now there is a concern.
really enforces the "barrier" concept
Diligence is the key

Last edited:
i believe that its very important not to handle other peoples collection or let them handle yours. 1 mite or 1 drop of saliva transfered between collections is enough to cause a disaster. the same is said for handling reptiles at expo's or in pet shops. this also shows the need for quarantining any new animal. a quarintine period could be as long as a year or 2. im even guilty of not carrying out proper quaranting, but i do follow very stricked hygiene procedures

I wouldn't waste my time Neil, someone's got such an inpenatrable ego LOL

but i won't pass anymore comments

I couldn't beat Trueblues ego so i got him to take me fishing. First time out and I caught a bigger 'largemouth than he's ever caught. lol

OPMV has been found not to be airborne. its believed to be spred through direct contact between snakes, mites from one snake to the other, saliva on feeding tongs transfered to another snake, swapping of water bowls between enclosures or washing water bowls or enclosures with the same cloth.

Anything to back that up?

"In situ transmission is generally via fluids, not air. This means, blood, saliva, water bowls, bowl washers and mites. Most common means between cages is shared washing cloths for water bowls or transfer by mites. Less common is via saliva or fluids left on feeding tongs or forceps." -Taken from http://www.smuggled.com/OPMV3F.htm

Key word there generally, no conformation that it is not air born just a generalisation that it is not. Sorry to be picky but I don't take that as conformation that it is not capable of being air borne. If I missed something in there please feel free to correct me

Thanks FC, interesting read. However I can't see how he can totally rule out airborne transmission. I'm not saying it is, just think it is dangerous to be making any assumptions about this disease(s).
i like most people know very little about OPMV and other diseases that can effect our snakes. i was only taking the assumption from hosers testing and what was printed in that link, and others that i have read. i think we all need to read as much as we can and talk with others that know more about these diseases, and take more care with our collections to prevent further losses

There are alot of papers on the subject and I have read a few but none have ruled it out as being air borne.

lol and im guessing none have confirmed it. Does anyone know why there is such a mystery surrounding these viruses? I mean people have worked out human viruses but i guess thats coz theres a hell of a lot more money and energy put into that research ay

OPMV is usually only found after death which makes it very hard to study and a huge lack in funding at this stage doesn't help

After reading this thread i would like to know is the seller in question going to cover the vet bills????
Surely its the least they could do!

As said earlier, we have a fair idea where it has come from, but only an idea not 100% certain.
Hell from what Danny has said it could even possibly of come from the wild.? Luke loves his herping and even thou he rarely touches anything, (except with the camera), he could of moved something off the road and inadvertantly taken a nastie back home with him. A scary thought but very possible.
So naming names unless 100% certain is just not an option.

given how contagious it would have to be to transfer from direct contact with a wild or captive animal (and im not saying it has) surely if Luke handled a snake before attending the Qld reptile expo, there could have been a spread of the virus?

furthermore if Luke isnt cleaning with f10 etc before getting home after contact with snakes, how reliable are his quarantining methods?

this is not an attack, simply a question.

regards,
Arbok

Luke did't handle any snakes at the expo that I saw and he travelled quite some distance to get here, not to mention the fact the expo was the day after he arrived.

Last edited:
Luke did't handle any snakes at the expo that I saw and he travelled quite some distance to get here, not to mention the fact the expo was the day after he arrived.
sorry but i dont think anyone but Luke can say what he did or didnt handle

Hmmmm, true, except that I could see him for the majority of the time he was there. Hence me saying, that I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back