OPMV....know much about it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rockman, I know where you are coming from, the whole 'shunned aids thing'. I had a maccie here that supposedly died of OPMV. Cost me a fortune in tests that ended up proving nothing. His cagemate is still in full quarantine nearly 2 years later as I am paranoid now.

I disagree about the 'widespread' OPMV problem however. Too quickly vets are ready to scream OPMV when they have no basis for that diagnosis. Sure, it's out there, I won't fight that, but I don't think it is as prevalant as vets would have us think.

No doubt the 2 little bleach poisonings I had in my collection are now listed somewhere, shown as OPMV stats. The vet saw them when they first started showing symptoms of the bleach poisoning and declared them to be OPMV. However, their neurological symptoms were due to bleach poisoning, not OPMV and within 24 hours of shifting them to well rinsed cages, both were recovered.

My large female olive will also be a statistic, as she was also declared to have OPMV. Which later turned out to be Pentastomid worms.

The problem, as I see it, is that reptile medicine is so unknown, everyone is quick to call a problem something they know about, rather than actually do the work to find out what it is.

As for my little OPMV maccie, I am certain, now I know more, that he didn't have OPMV at all. Instead, I think he had neurological symptoms bought on by poisoning. He was housed on pine bark chip, which I have since found out can be toxic when mixed with urea, releasing a gas that acts as a neurotoxin.

Sure, OPMV is out there, but if vets put as much effort into diagnosing a snake correctly, instead of calling out OPMV as loudly as they can, I think we might find it isn't as prevalent as it is currently being made out to be.

The vet i deal with had about 12 tested postive OPMV results , in about 2 months . Wrasse , on the other side , a vet that doesn't know might say it is just a respirioty problem and don't be to concerned with it , and then it spreads like nothing you know . There is both sides . If i had have used the vet that i have now , i may have saved alot more of my animals from the start .

Agreed, it should not be a shunned subject. It needs to come out into the open to be discussed and be made known about, so the average owner has an idea and knows what to be on the lookout for, and importantly, so everyone can understand the need for suitable quarantine practices.

But I think, to put too much emphasis on it, will only cause more vets to scream OPMV and less research will go into finding out the real causes for the problems our reptiles suffer from.

As it is, as shown in my cases above, the vets here had no idea and quickly settled on something they had likely only 'heard' about.

Thanks Rockman for your advice and information... Scary subject...

Just wondering what you meant, when you said you made a small handling error which spread the OMPV from those new arrivals to your other snakes?
Do you mean not properly washing your hands after handling the new arrivals? If so, is there any disinfectant that will actually kill OPMV virus which may be on your hands that you (or anyone) can recomend?

I don't have this disease in my collection (and want to keep it that way) and would like to know all the precautions and measures that need to be done to prevent the spread in a collection, if it was ever introduced via new stock. Can anyone post some info on this please? thanks

Everyone , just humour me for a second , how many people can honestly stand up and say that have lost at least 1 snake and never got it tested for anything ? This should prove a point .

You know I have, I never even thought twice about it until talking to you that day.

OPMV can only be tested for post mortem.
A quick google wil tell you more than you ever wanted to know :)
Jim that was 12 cases confirmed by post mortem testing yeah?

Magpie said:
OPMV can only be tested for post mortem.
A quick google wil tell you more than you ever wanted to know :)
Jim that was 12 cases confirmed by post mortem testing yeah?

The EM test can only be done Post Mortem, but it is not definative. Lesions can be missed and an all clear can come back on an infected animal.

I understand that in the US there is a test available that can be used on live animals, however, it is not FDA (?) approved for use in Australia. The sheer lack of numbers or interest requiring the use of this test means it won't be pushed for at any stage in the near future.

The 'right' vets if asked nicely, can possibly get a few tests sent over if required. Time is a factor though.

They're also working on a vaccine in the US

Magpie , you are # 1 , lonely yet :lol: , i don't see to many standing next to you through. And yes , those 12 where confirmed , tested postive results at the vet . Colin , i never cleaned my hook while i was handling the snakes , one day . In my defense , i did not know at that stage what was happening . I don't make the same mistake know , i use F10 ( from the vet ) sprayed onto everything and new paper towel for everything .

I tried to get a similar thread going some time ago, although it was about IBD not OPMV. The vet I spoke to classified IBD as "quite common" in collections, as was OPMV. This was maybe 1-2 years ago, and he claimed a couple of cases per month. Very scary stuff, but at least you are getting a better response to this thread. I have always had a necropsy performed on any deceased snakes and to date, luck has been on my side. This is a very serious issue and I dont want to detract from that, but perhaps if this thread looks like dying an early death, someone might care to mention bikini girls in an attempt to revive it. :wink:

Awesome , olivehydra , your # 2 , at least you can keep Magpie company . :lol:

Lol Olive are you offering to post some pics? If you're worried you're not well endowed enough just whack a couple of chicken fillets in the bikini top....men never know the difference anyway ;)

Rockman, it's a very good question. I personally haven't been keeping snakes long enough to have found it necessary, but I certainly would if one of my babies died.

Cheers, Kersten.

Kris said:
Lol Olive are you offering to post some pics? If you
Rockman, it's a very good question. I personally haven't been keeping snakes long enough to have found it necessary, but I certainly would if one of my babies died.
Kersten , what haven't you found neccesary about your snakes ?

never cleaned my hook while i was handling the snakes , one day . In my defense , i did not know at that stage what was happening . I don't make the same mistake know , i use F10 ( from the vet ) sprayed onto everything and new paper towel for everything

Thanks for that info Jim, much appreciated. So does F10 actually kill the IBD and/or OPMV virus? what about washing your hands after handling a snake? Can this F10 be used for this or is there something better available?

Personally I think this is one of the most important and best threads I"ve seen for a while... any input and procedures that can combat these diseases would be greatly appreciated. The old story of prevention being better than a cure...

Oops I should have said "find it" not "found it" :? I meant that I've never found it necessary to have a snake autopsied, none of my snakes have died. Kris has been keeping them for years but he's not here to provide an answer at the moment.

cwarren72 said:
Just thought I would prewarn all that this link is a Ray Hoser Link........don't waste your time
:oops:

This has been very nteresting and informative! Thanks to EVERYONE for their input.

Rockman, sorry to hear about your losses through OPMV. Well done on getting back into herps though.

If I have learnt one thing through this it will be that putting your new arrivals in quarantine can be the difference between being a happy herper and a herper with no animals at all.

Can OPMV be spread in Lizards, Dragons, Geckos etc?

"IF YOU KNOW YOU HAVE OPMV IN YOUR COLLECTION DON'T RUIN IT FOR SOMEONE ELSE BY SELLING THEM AN ANIMAL TO MAKE MONEY, TAKE ACTION AND DO THE RIGHT THING!'

Hi Rockman , i'm interested to know how long it took till the other animals in your collection got sick after you noticed the first one was sick ? and how long did it take them to pass away from the time you first found them ill ?
cheers swampie

Colin said:
Thanks for that info Jim, much appreciated. So does F10 actually kill the IBD and/or OPMV virus? what about washing your hands after handling a snake? Can this F10 be used for this or is there something better available?

F10 is magic stuff. I use it to clean the bathroom too.

Hi Guys
As you all know, I got sent a whole heap of dragons with Yellow Fungus Disease late last year.
I put my neck out and told other people about it, and to warn them that it IS here and that it IS dangerous, and I remember copping not only a LOT of slack for it, but I also had people saying that they wouldn't buy animals from me ever again, and they were warning others against doing so too. All this b/c I put my hand up. I understand why people try to hide it - but I don't condone lying to make a sale.

Hey Jim - how are ya hun? I remember that phone call that you and I had all those months ago where we actually talked about the possibility of OPMV getting into dragons. Whilst I still can't answer that question, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank yourself, along with all of the others who didn't critisise me for letting everyone know about the potential danger for beardies.
I'd also like to say good on you Mags, and Olivehydra for admitting that you've had animals tested before to make sure that there was nothing fishy going on within your collections. But more importantly still, to rockman for having the balls to get up here and say 'I've had it in my collection' and because of the time, money and sacrifice that he put into those animals he is now probably one of the few people who is able to say 'i've beat it' with confidence.
I applaude you.
I think that with things like viruses and diseases, keepers need to (attempt to) stick together and help each other. For goodness sake, you might be putting your neck out by saying 'I have it' but damn it, someone MIGHT be able to help you and give advice!!! Sometimes the potential benefits can outweigh the risks.

As for the F10, I now swear by the stuff!! I use it to clean enclosures, glass, hooks and water bowls etc. I also used it to treat the lizards with the fungus and guess what! THEY'RE ALL CURED! This stuff kills so many things that it's hard to comprehend that you can get it in a bottle! I bought 5lt for approx $150 from a wholesaler and I don't think that I'll ever run out of the stuff, and I use DOUBLE the directed dilution rate.
If I can find the brochure that I have on it, I will scan it in and post pics so that everyone can read what it's capable of.
I now also RELIGIOUSLY use disposable gloves and clean my hands in Chlorhexedine (sp?).
Again Jim - we can only hope that more herpers can be as honest as you.
Cheers
Bex ;)

Again Jim - we can only hope that more herpers can be as honest as you

Here here... good onya Jim and thanks also :D

Bex, is it possible to PM me the name of the place and phone number where you can get 5litres F10 for $150 please? thanks

Ive heard of OPMV but as it has not affected me (touch wood) thus far, never really paid much attention or have as strict quarantine procedure as I should in place (as have probably most others as well) now Im going to try to be much more vigilant and careful in future...
Much better to prevent a disaster than try to pick up the pieces when its too late....

Hey Colin :)
The supplier is here in Vic - don't know if it would be more worth your while calling your local vet and asking them who they get it through?
But for all of those in Vic, I will gladly post the places dets - I am sure that they would love the plug!! lol

Chemical Essentials (Pty) Ltd
13 Abelia St, Doncaster East, Vic, 3109
Tel: 03 9841 9901 Fax: 03 9841 9909
Email: [email protected]
www.chemicalessentials.com.au

Oops - just looked at my invoice and I lied :oops: the price that I paid was $310 ex GST :oops: I think that it was one of the smaller bottles that was around the $150 mark :? What a dumb dumb :oops:

Anywho, here are the pics:

P1010002.jpg

The instructions off the side of the bottle:
P1010002.jpg

F10SC1.jpg

F10SC2.jpg

F10SC3.jpg

F10SC4.jpg

F10SC5.jpg

Bex ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.