Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
for the first 12 months i feed my snakes as much as they can handle, then i start to cut them down...
ive never had pin heads...

Basically juvies will put a huge amount of what they eat into growth, not fat. Basically you can feed them however you like. Juvies will grow faster if you feed them more, and adults may become excessively fat if fed very large amounts of food frequently. That's about it... Jamie.

And thats it in a nutshell. Interesting stuff Jamie. Are the results of that study available on the net? (link please if you have it)

cris: unfortunately, due to difficult circumstances (of my own - nothing to do with the snake) I had to stop powerfeeding her at about a year of age. She is currently about two and one half years old and something like 180-200cm long (she has grown very little in the last 18 months, although I haven't measure her). She is a picture of health. I've moved her interstate this year and not been able to watch her closely during the breeding season, but I plan to have a go at getting some babies from her next season :) I'll try to get around to taking some pictures of her soon.

nvenm8: just doing my job as a responsible reptile enthusiast who is keen to help others :)

Interesting, its mind boggling to think of them as wild creatures but to try look after them as best us humans can. I will take note of the overfeeding

Although I tend to agree that young snakes would put the food into growth rather than get overweight, I cant imagine it would be good for their digestive system and other organs putting them under so much stress?

VixenBabe...like the avator!...

So..obviously Scarffing is from the well known breeder Shane Scarff...
Wild animals/reptiles would be opportunistic ...eating when they can...
eat or be eaten...survival of the fittest!
so why are people against what obviously is natural for them in the wild...
& we are creating the best environment for the animal ... so why not feed them the best & more often?
interesting

I have skimmed through this thread and not read everything totally so sorry if I repeat something.

People forget there is not a line that is over feeding there is a whole continum. You can easily 'step up' a snakes feeding without over doing it. Snakes who are off their food long term can have stunted growth as the period over which they actively grow is relatively short.

Snakes in the wild also go through periods of famine and periods of feast. Short term 'extra' feeding does not harm your python.

Personally I fall into the habit of not feeding as often as I feel I should be sometimes. I dont stick to a set feeding day. mine sometimes will get fed every 5-6 days and sometme they can go 2 weeks

I feed my snakes about every 8-12 days & occasionally throw 'em a 'pinky-snack' as well.
I keep various Morelia & a pair of Childrens pythons & it seems the Childreni just won't take it if they're not hungry , where as Morelia(mine anyway) would eat as long as I kept offering it.
The skaarfing thing I'm not that keen on , firstly it just doesn't feel right to me , And secondly , what possible reason would one have for doing that other than money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back