Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blakehose

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day all,

As I was just sitting about doing a bit of research on Australian Elapids, and a past very breif discussion about this species of Taipan came to mind. Which sparked some thought as to what research has since been undertaken in trying to improve knowledge of them and what has been discovered since. Eg their range, venom toxicity, diet. If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great!

Cheers, Blake.

all this topic in general is common knolledge on the internet and in print...

there is a book called ''Taipan'' the deadliest snake in the world...i think it a Peter Michigan book..
and also one called ''Taipans and Tigers''.

wikipedia probebly has it all on file...

I have had a look on Wikipedia and a few other files, but it would still be nice to hopefully hear some first hand knowledge on the topic.

Not much has been done on them as there are only two specimens in existence, both dead.

-H

I read about these specimens, but was unsure if it had advanced any futher since they were found...Hopefully soon enough we will know more!

from what i remember...

the distrabution of this taipan is only know from the location from where they were found and i dont think many more have been found( central desert of WA)..
they were slightly less toxic than the coastal taipan.( this was based of the Coastal Taipan being the 3rd deadliest land snake and the Central Ranger Taipan classed as the 5th)..
they had the same growth pattern as a coastal but all retreived for testing were around the 3 foot mark.

just like more work needs to be done on pseudechis wiegelli and pseudechis butleri.;)

i remember Rob Bredl doing a study on Taipans ''oxyuranus'' and Blacks ''pseudechis''
and he says his familly knew of 4 unrecorded species together and he believed there would be another 10 specied of them discovered bt 2012

would mind finding out more info on that,are there and papers on venom comp of pseudechis butleri and weigeli.

As yet no O temporalis have studied live to my knowledge, how sure on that data naja?

As yet no O temporalis have studied live to my knowledge, how sure on that data naja?

Hopefully a specimen is captured soon, it will be interesting to find out how they compare to the Coastals and Inlands.

G'day all,

As I was just sitting about doing a bit of research on Australian Elapids, and a past very breif discussion about this species of Taipan came to mind. Which sparked some thought as to what research has since been undertaken in trying to improve knowledge of them and what has been discovered since. Eg their range, venom toxicity, diet. If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great!

Cheers, Blake.
I'm glad you raised this because I have been wondering the same thing. I am very curious about finding out more of this species too.

Hopefully a specimen is captured soon, it will be interesting to find out how they compare to the Coastals and Inlands.
From what I understand there is supposed to be a feild trip happening in October to find some more O temporalis alive. I don't know if that is still going ahead but if it is I hope it will be fruitful and we can learn more about this very intriguing species.

From what I understand there is supposed to be a feild trip happening in October to find some more O temporalis alive. I don't know if that is still going ahead but if it is I hope it will be fruitful and we can learn more about this very intriguing species.

I have heard the same thing mate. From talking to someone recently it is definitely going ahead, I am praying that they find something!

That is absolutely awesome! I would have also loved to have been there. Is it a male/female pair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back