Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that is a very valid point!

Really? I know you can return a live animal back to the wild, but I'm not so sure about a dead one?

Anyway, I realize the whole point of originally taking stuff and banging it in jars 50yrs ago, but seriously....with what we've got today, at our disposal you'd think we'd have advanced a little further.

I do however find it amusing when I see everyone getting a little hot under the collar about a young brown snake despatched on a TV series, yet seem to think it’s perfectly okay to knock something on the head because it looks a little different.

The trouble is, it’s far easier to bottle something real than fork out money for a MRI scanner, or the like, which would undoubtedly tell a researcher more about an animal than they’d ever need to know. We’ve supposedly got DNA testing (correct?) that can tell us a quinzillion things about an animal. We’ve got advanced digital, hi-def photography available…but alas, none of this seems to be at the fingertips of modern day researchers…Nope, just stick it in a jar and file it away in a museum. I don’t get it.

Last edited:
All those things are great but i don't know how practical doing an MRI on a live taipan would be :lol:

I haven't been involved with feild research, but i get the feeling that if animals weren't allowed to be collected and bottled and your above ideas were the only options available. The costs would be so prohibitive that very little research would be undertaken.

The reality is one animal, or even a handful, won't make a significant impact on biodiversity. But the information taken from that one animal could.

Really? I know you can return a live animal back to the wild, but I'm not so sure about a dead one?

Anyway, I realize the whole point of originally taking stuff and banging it in jars 50yrs ago, but seriously....with what we've got today, at our disposal you'd think we'd have advanced a little further.

I do however find it amusing when I see everyone getting a little hot under the collar about a young brown snake despatched on a TV series, yet seem to think it’s perfectly okay to knock something on the head because it looks a little different.

The trouble is, it’s far easier to bottle something real than fork out money for a MRI scanner, or the like, which would undoubtedly tell a researcher more about an animal than they’d ever need to know. We’ve supposedly got DNA testing (correct?) that can tell us a quinzillion things about an animal. We’ve got advanced digital, hi-def photography available…but alas, none of this seems to be at the fingertips of modern day researchers…Nope, just stick it in a jar and file it away in a museum. I don’t get it.

All those things are great but i don't know how practical doing an MRI on a live taipan would be :lol:

I haven't been involved with feild research, but i get the feeling that if animals weren't allowed to be collected and bottled and your above ideas were the only options available. The costs would be so prohibitive that very little research would be undertaken.

The reality is one animal, or even a handful, won't make a significant impact on biodiversity. But the information taken from that one animal could.

Dammit! I agree with both of you! Now what am I supposed to do?!?? :shock:

Some good points. I'm not 100% sure why they do it the way they do, it just seems a little outdated. Considering it's only been in the past few years that Bryan Fry has actually taken the time-out to stick a monitors head in an MRI machine to discover they have venom glands rather than "bacterial saliva" speaks volumes to me about how backward we are in our "stick it in a jar" mentality.

Oh, and having troubles keeping an Eastern brown or a taipan still?? There's a guy here in Melbourne who gets his to sit real still while he de-fang-a-nates them...they seem to recover pretty well afterwards according to him :lol: ;) hehe

Oh, and having troubles keeping an Eastern brown or a taipan still?? There's a guy here in Melbourne who gets his to sit real still while he de-fang-a-nates them...they seem to recover pretty well afterwards according to him :lol: ;) hehe
Hahahahaha. Not mentioning any names. lol. the fangs are still there, it's just the venom glands that are evicted from the unsuspecting serpents head. Proper terminology would be de-venom-gland-a-nate..... :-D

taipan pics

hi all, Keep an eye out for the media release on the central taipan (temporalis ) tomorrow. there will be photos of live specimums. For your info to quell some of the conjecture there was 3 caught and two of them ended up in Adailade Zoo. a breeding pair. They are quite an awesome snake.
Once the media release is done more photos will become available.

It's been a few months now since these specimens were captured... Has anyone got some fresh new information to share on the subject?

they are doing well, settled and gaining weight. They were due to be milked quite awhile ago now but there has been a couple issues that i believe have been recently addressed.

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks for the reply Scott. Sounds as though things are going well then - hopefully soon enough there will be some good information available after a bit of research has been conducted. Venom toxicity, behavioural attributes etc. I find it all very exciting...

hi all, Keep an eye out for the media release on the central taipan (temporalis ) tomorrow. there will be photos of live specimums. For your info to quell some of the conjecture there was 3 caught and two of them ended up in Adailade Zoo. a breeding pair. They are quite an awesome snake.
Once the media release is done more photos will become available.

So, where is the long promised media release and more photos?

So, where is the long promised media release and more photos?

I'm wondering the same thing Michael.... Hopefully those who have a bit to do with the animals will be able to provide some further information and photos in the near future.

So are there any photos other than the petrified thing that gets circulated around the net on this species of snake? I can't believe there is such a low profile on such a rare animal. I'd dearly love to see a pic of one!

My stance has still, and will not change, on killing stuff like this. It's just so 1800's. We can tell more about an animal these days with MRI and digital imaging etc than we ever could. Anyway, I wanna see some photos. Does anyone who has anything to do with these animals own a camera?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back