Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its because of the ethics of some petshops......and the support they give after the pet is bought.
also the conditions the animals are kept in are often not that great and it is stressful for animals to be in petshops (people tapping on glass noise size of enclosure disease etc) Also pet shops also dont talk to people thoroughly enough about the keeping of the animal etc.....more interested in selling the animal for a quick buck. I know some breeders can do all of these things too....but reputable breeders with a good reputation are there for you for the life of the animal and you dont have to look tooo hard to find someone good who will support and mentor you in the keeping of your animal....there are some wonderful people on this site...and you dont have to look too hard to find them.

I think probably my opinions stem from the terrible puppy farming that goes on in the dog breeding world and pet shops really perpetuate that.

Just my opinion

Elizabeth

1+,my mum hates them expept breeders.

one pet store i went into once had a coastal python that was submerged in its water bowl so i asked someone why the coastal was doin it, and the pet store MANAGER said he wasnt sure why but it had been doin it alot lately......so it either had mites or the temperatures were way to high, i agree very strongly with kristy, some pet stores shouldnt be allowed to keep certain animals or reptiles if they dont know exactly how to look after them properly and pass on usefull knowledge to the people buying pets from them

one pet store i went into once had a coastal python that was submerged in its water bowl so i asked someone why the coastal was doin it, and the pet store MANAGER said he wasnt sure why but it had been doin it alot lately......so it either had mites or the temperatures were way to high, i agree very strongly with kristy, some pet stores shouldnt be allowed to keep certain animals or reptiles if they dont know exactly how to look after them properly and pass on usefull knowledge to the people buying pets from them
that wasnt in carrum downs was it ? if it was the store now has new owners .

One of my customers got their 'cavoodle' DNA tested, supposedly a pure cavy mixed with a pure toy poodle. DNA test identified six different breeds, first on the list was greyhound.

Is puppy farming ethically worse than snake farming?

Yes, snakes are designed to reproduce in greater numbers than dogs are.
The exploitation of any animal is wrong but there are alot more points you have to consider with dogs, space, grooming etc. It's more costly and therefore when taken advantage of the animal is often used in the same way when it's in worse condition.

That was a quick jump of the fence. What about rows and rows of tiny click clacks wall to wall, floor to ceiling housing snakes in little more than a battery system? hmmm. The act of keeping a snake/snakes is exploitative regardless, as it's self gratification.

steve1 - I've been starting to wonder the same thing.... so far, still deciding.

Each snake doesn't need milk from mumma, worming, interaction etc and they don't poop like twenty million times a day. They do better with less involvement.

The answer is almost too obvious.

Woah...

Anyway, agreed hypo.... but almost bare tubs with little or no stimulation in the environment surely can't be good, either?

Bringing it back to pet shops, I could see the argument that puppies don't have much to do in pet shop cages, either. But, most puppies and kittens are only in-shop for a week or less, certainly not usually more than 2 weeks at the most, and are given heaps of attention by staff all day (one of the perks of the jobs ;) ). Someone with 100+ hatchies doesn't have time for any of this interaction, and in my opinion (don't worry, it's JUST my opinion!), heat, a hide, and a water bowl aren't enough for a snake for more than the first few months of life.

I know what you're saying Kristy but the part about snakes needing more than heat, a hide and a water bowl is arguable. Personally i want my reptiles to have a natural setting but i don't doubt they'd do just as well without it or in a tub.

I suspect there's just more than one way to skin a cat :) I'm trying to find a balance that I'm happy with in keeping my reps (and dogs, rats, boyfriend, etc.)

I suspect there's just more than one way to skin a cat :) I'm trying to find a balance that I'm happy with in keeping my reps (and dogs, rats, boyfriend, etc.)

I hope your boyfriend isn't kept in a click clack, LOL.

I felt like stirring the pot with this thread, personally I don't know where i stand on this, but prefer to give my snakes the extra space, may change my mind as the collection grows.

He's 6th tall & his shed is 12ft long, and he's got water, so that's okay, right? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back