Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've delt with both parties [ back yard breeders and pet shops ]
Had bad dealings with both [ some very highly rated breeders i might add] over a very, very long period of time.
What does this tell you ?

I didn't read all the posts (far too many, most saying the same things) so sorry if I repeat anything..

I have experienced the type of Pet Stores no one should be caught dead buying from, but I have also worked in a few very good ones over the years. Not all the staff are young, naive kids.. Yes, major chains (not naming names) hire young kids because they are cheap. I managed one such store, where the area manager kept bringing in 15 yr old kids who dropped out of school and thought working would be so much easier. That they would get paid to "play witht the puppies all day".. Man did they get the shock of their life working for me.. I also experienced some staff members who were all too willing to learn all I had to teach them (with over 6 years vet nursing experience, and a lifetime of animal keeping).. Unfortunately I left this position because of the "money hungry" Fat Cats who cared more about new cars and trips than the animals we were caring for..
I also had the pleasure of working for a wonderful store which sold reptiles as well as other animals.. Staff were educated and "tested" on our knowledge, and if we were unsure we always had experienced staff members there to help.. It was NOT AT ALL about the quick sale.. If someone enquired about an animal it was our responsibility to discuss that animals feeding and care with the customer, and take them through the different products they would need to keep their animal happy and healthy.
All our animals were kept in spacious enclosures which were cleaned daily (or as much as needed in regards to puppies and kittens); precations were taken to minimise risk of infection; and all animals were given any and all treatments necessary to keep them healthy..

I can see both sides of this "discussion", but don't be so quick to judge Pet Stores. Take the time to check out the conditions for yourself first..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back