pet shops

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but you lose fish every day you carnt prevent it but we check every thing every 2hours like the dogs reps fish tanks ect ect we keep our reptiles in a $8000 wall unit all have the correct heating all have uva/b lights water is changed every day feed wellon a good diet ect but the pet shop down the road from us is a classic example for a bad pet store they keep all birds rats mice g-pigs in out door enclosures with some dead ones in the bottem of the enclosure and birds are covered in egg yolk from kids chucking eggs at the live stock he feeds all his dead fish to his indian ring necks and all carniviourous fish he has even recived a fine for selling illegal birds and is still able to sell pets?

I challange anyone to find a petshop that has poorly cared for reptiles and every other type of animal cared for properly. I would bet you cant find one, for one simple reason repltiles(in general) are far easier to look after than most other animals.

Sdaji's points are valid but they apply to most if not all animals kept in petshops, ppl who single out reptiles IMO are doing so because of their emotional attatchment to them, rather than there being any real reason why reptiles should be singled out as not being able to be sold in petshops.

As i have said in other threads it is those who regulate the petshops that are to blame(and obviously those who neglect the animals too).

All this babble about '" breeders". What makes a breeder? What if i buy two reptiles from a pet shop then breed them by fluke? Am i a breeder. There are just as many "Breeders" out there with poorly kept reptiles or even worse wild caught reptiles palmed off as captive bred as there are poor pet shops. There are many good breeders as well as many good pet shops Do your research and look at the animals, you will have a better chance of a good reptile no matter where it is from!

I've had both good and bad experiences with pet shops.

I bought my stimmie from a pet shop - luckily I happened to be there when the breeder bought him in so I got to ask him a few questions. I find that this particular pet shop is well run, always clean etc so I had no problems buying from them.

BUT I recently went to an "aquarium" shop down the road from my work which recently started selling reptiles and had a nice SW carpet python - I asked one of the service people if I could get him out to see how he handled and she said "eww no I'm not touching a snake!!" .... yeah. Needless to say it put me off a bit haha.

You can argue the fact that pet shops can be more expensive than breeders but here in WA everything is expensive so it doesn't really matter :D

Sdaji's points are valid but they apply to most if not all animals kept in petshops, ppl who single out reptiles IMO are doing so because of their emotional attatchment to them, rather than there being any real reason why reptiles should be singled out as not being able to be sold in petshops.

If I was a dog person, I'd probably be speaking out about dogs being sold in pet shops. You may or may not have noticed, but this is a reptile forum, which is why I'm talking about reptiles. I thought that was screamingly obvious. Feel free to get into debates about cats, dogs, environmentally damaging mining practices, capital punishment and the price of eggs in relevant areas and don't be surprised if I don't seem terribly interested.

If I was a dog person, I'd probably be speaking out about dogs being sold in pet shops. You may or may not have noticed, but this is a reptile forum, which is why I'm talking about reptiles. I thought that was screamingly obvious. Feel free to get into debates about cats, dogs, environmentally damaging mining practices, capital punishment and the price of eggs in relevant areas and don't be surprised if I don't seem terribly interested.

You could have just said you agree with me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back