Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can i also just clear this up, I did not kill it, and i wouldnt have killed it. it was the neighbor who killed it.

Some great info there guys to try and clarify al these misconceptions of the need to kill the snakes!!!!

So this poor little whip snake was killed for no reason........ lovely.

Also, as asked earlier, what were the circumstances of your mums bite?
she was hanging the washing and stood on its tail.

can i also just clear this up, I did not kill it, and i wouldnt have killed it. it was the neighbor who killed it.

It's alright - no one thinks you killed it (if they read your first post first line)... but many were jumping on the bandwagon of anyone else considering killing a snake for evidence of envenomation...

No one agrees that the neighbour should have done it - and we hope that you can educate your neighbour - education is the most powerful tool we have in our society - and it's herpetologists that help educate against misconceptions.

I've looked several times to no avail to find statistics on how snake bites have occurred, about all that i can find is the stats of keepers vs. non-keepers and total numbers.

Do you have access to these stats that could be made public? Statistics like bites caused by trying to catch/kill/stepped on etc etc?

Has anyone else here been in for snake bite and not had a VDK administered? I have, it was a little concerning lol.

The hospitals don't keep the sort of stats most herp people are interested in using to educate the general public. My unit collects very few stats on snakebite as we only treat the seriously envenomated with all others being managed in the Emergency Dept. The information is probably discoverable by using the databases and doing audits of medical records but it would be labour intensive.

Do you always need a VDK? Not in all circumstances eg if you were in a small hospital that only stocked polyvalent antivenom then I would not necessarily run a VDK as it would not change management as no matter what the VDK result you would still get polyvalent if you showed signs of significant envenomation.

Sorry to take this of topic slightly But i have a question on antivenom. I understand the venoms of some snakes are different than others but it is my understanding that antivenoms are not species or genus specific, an example was shown earlier of RBB testing positive for Tigersnake. Would I be correct to assume that the same antivenom would be used on all serious Pseudechis and Notechis bites, what other genus would be treated with this antivenom? Tsubakai, is a polyvalent antivenom used to treat all serious envenomation when no other antivenom is available? If so does this mean the potential side effects of the antivenom would be more severe? How many different antivenoms are used in Australia?

Steve

Also would you ever rely on a doctor giving a accurate ID, some cant even tell that you have a shattered knee cap!!! As has been said they do a swab then wait to see the results and go from there. Anti venom is a last resort!
see now thats why i would go and just demand a pair of crutches and and then go see my dad. he's a radiographer of 25+ years and has recently been left in charge of over $4 million worth of xray/CT/MRI equipment plus other equipment like bone density and is trained so yeah, i wouldn't even book in an appointment i'd just hobble in and get an emergency xray done then wait for results.
i've had it done on most body parts coz i'm so accident prone.

Sorry to take this of topic slightly But i have a question on antivenom. I understand the venoms of some snakes are different than others but it is my understanding that antivenoms are not species or genus specific, an example was shown earlier of RBB testing positive for Tigersnake. Would I be correct to assume that the same antivenom would be used on all serious Pseudechis and Notechis bites, what other genus would be treated with this antivenom? Tsubakai, is a polyvalent antivenom used to treat all serious envenomation when no other antivenom is available? If so does this mean the potential side effects of the antivenom would be more severe? How many different antivenoms are used in Australia?

Steve

Snake Group Initial Antivenom Dose

Brown Snakes 2 vial 'Brown' or 1 vial polyvalent
(Pseudonaja)

Tiger Snakes (Notechis) 2 vials 'Tiger' or 1 vial polyvalent
Copperheads (Austrelaps)
Rough Scaled Snakes

Mulga Snake 1 vial 'Black' or 1 vial Polyvalent
Collett's Snake
Spotted Black

Red Bellied Black 1 vial 'Tiger' or 1 vial Polyvalent

Death Adders 1 vial 'Death Adder' 0r 1 vial polyvalent

Taipans 2 vials 'Taipan' or 1 vial polyvalent

Sea-snakes 2 vial 'sea-snake' or 1 vial polyvalent

There are 7 different antivenoms used in Australia...

* Taipan
* Brown Snake
* Black Snake
* Tiger Snake
* Death Adder
* Sea Snake
* Polyvalent

see now thats why i would go and just demand a pair of crutches and and then go see my dad. he's a radiographer of 25+ years and has recently been left in charge of over $4 million worth of xray/CT/MRI equipment plus other equipment like bone density and is trained so yeah, i wouldn't even book in an appointment i'd just hobble in and get an emergency xray done then wait for results.
i've had it done on most body parts coz i'm so accident prone.

I couldn't work out why your radiographer dad would be able to ID what kind of snake had bitten you, or how giving an x-ray would help things. But I guess you were talking about the glib shattered knee cap comment and not a snake bite...

The snake might be in your rib cage...

I couldn't work out why your radiographer dad would be able to ID what kind of snake had bitten you, or how giving an x-ray would help things. But I guess you were talking about the glib shattered knee cap comment and not a snake bite...

Knee cap wasnt glib actually happened to me lol they would not even give me crutches or a wheel chair and made 45 yr old mother help me ( i was 17 and 6'4'' and weighed 95kg at the time ) Damn hospitals!!!!!!!!!
I would never trust a doctor who you have only just met to try and ID any snake lol, but thats never going to happen as it will never be needed! I dont understand who started this myth of needing the snake in recent years, the tests tell all.

Thanks very much Firepac. Is it always preferable to use the correct antivenom over the polyvalent?

Snake Group Initial Antivenom Dose

Brown Snakes 2 vial 'Brown' or 1 vial polyvalent
(Pseudonaja)

Tiger Snakes (Notechis) 2 vials 'Tiger' or 1 vial polyvalent
Copperheads (Austrelaps)
Rough Scaled Snakes

Mulga Snake 1 vial 'Black' or 1 vial Polyvalent
Collett's Snake
Spotted Black

Red Bellied Black 1 vial 'Tiger' or 1 vial Polyvalent

Death Adders 1 vial 'Death Adder' 0r 1 vial polyvalent

Taipans 2 vials 'Taipan' or 1 vial polyvalent

Sea-snakes 2 vial 'sea-snake' or 1 vial polyvalent

There are 7 different antivenoms used in Australia...

* Taipan
* Brown Snake
* Black Snake
* Tiger Snake
* Death Adder
* Sea Snake
* Polyvalent

Matt had 1 vile of brown (cause thats all they had ) and because of the severity of his condition the doctor didnt use poly on him and they did the trial of frozen fresh plasma instead ...also this method they claim is less chance of copping severe serum sickness down the track ...he did still suffer serum sickness though ..

Thanks very much Firepac. Is it always preferable to use the correct antivenom over the polyvalent?

As far as I am aware snake-specific antivenoms are less hazardous to the patient than polyvalent antivenoms, therefore they should be used if available.

Matt had 1 vile of brown (cause thats all they had ) and because of the severity of his condition the doctor didnt use poly on him and they did the trial of frozen fresh plasma instead ...also this method they claim is less chance of copping severe serum sickness down the track ...he did still suffer serum sickness though ..

In my area although their protocols say to use Tiger Snake antivenom for RBB bite the normal stock holding of anti venom in the emergency department does NOT include Tiger Snake antivenom !! :shock: Guess if i get tagged by a RBB it is polyvalent for me ;)

Last edited:
Thanks again. RBB what is the frozen fresh plasma? I'm thinking it's the part of the blood containing antibodies. Do they believe the plasma aided his recovery or possibly saved his life? How is it administered?

Thanks again. RBB what is the frozen fresh plasma? I'm thinking it's the part of the blood containing antibodies. Do they believe the plasma aided his recovery or possibly saved his life? How is it administered?
It is administered through a drip ,they do believe it helps the body to start clotting quicker again and the fact that if they can use less anti ven the better all round ..but it is still in its trial stages ,Matt wasnt really in a state to argue the point when they suggested to use it on him ...he has been added to the trial study now and the follow up notes will be part of the study too ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back