Putting Rats into a freezer to kill them?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't there a poison that leaves the system that can be used to kill rodents painlessly?

This is weird..we had this convo the other night in chat..
It was decided Jens method of cervical dislocation was the best and most humane way, IF you know how to do it.
I dont know how..so CO2 for me, until jen comes over and shows me :D

Isn't there a poison that leaves the system that can be used to kill rodents painlessly?

If the rodent is dead how would it leave the system? But CO2 isn't harmful to the snake in the amount they would ingest.

(Still advocating for CD tho...easy, free, fast)

Aww Sel, I will be back in NSW sometime, I'll let you know, we'll have a class lol

apparently insulin leaves the system before it kills you. This is supposed to be painful though so there has to be a painless drug that leaves the system and the after effects kill you like a numbing injection or something.

Once I froze rats to kill them because I ran out of vinegar and bicarb halfway through trying to gas them (this is before I bought myself a soda stream). The next day I went out to the freezer and found the male had outlived the female (I hope) and eaten part of her possibly out of craziness or because he felt he needed to eat to stave off the cold. I felt so terrible I almost gave up on breeding for good. I would NEVER recommend freezing to anyone.
I have found that some people say CO2 is inhumane too. Can anyone confirm this? Mine tend to get a little scared from the sound of the air hissing through the tube (and maybe from not being able to breathe?) but then they are passed out within about 20 or 30 seconds and gone within a minute.

A friend of mine uses a device from pet one called the 'critter roller'. He can almost fit 50 rat in the largest moddel availiable and drops it straight into a 20 litre bucket of water. I said "no-way they would take forever to drown". "He said that would be true if there was only one roddent in there it would hold its breath but with lots of them struggling against each other its quick". I said "how quick"? He said, I walk away to get some glad bags and some newspaper to tip them on and when i get back there all dead" Then he leaves them in the water for a few more minutes incase one revives when tipped out.
I thinks it abit rough, I will be using a high pressure nitrogen bottle which i get from work, and try not to blow them apart without a regulator.

i feel a bit sick to think he chucked a live rat in the freezer,...poor animal, it would have suffered beyond anything i can imagine. :(

This is weird..we had this convo the other night in chat..
It was decided Jens method of cervical dislocation was the best and most humane way, IF you know how to do it.
I dont know how..so CO2 for me, until jen comes over and shows me :D
I've been shown how to do it recently, Il show you how when I get those mice of you

Whats gassing like do they spazm or just pass out?

Last edited:
Mine just pass out. Like I said though they seem to get a little upset at first

I have seen mouse traps that seal and are then to be placed in water to which they fill almost completely and drown the captured rodent. It must be common place to drown things which have been said to tread water for 7 days straight.

It would make me sick to sit there and watch him do it. I would try and stop him but he is a vietnam vet and he would probably stab me.

My mate breeds thousands of rats,ive watched him use CO2 on them.If an animal is under stress it will urinate itself.These rats with gas dont do that at all they just go to sleep,its really the only clean way to do it other than blunt trauma to the head but that is messy.Pinkies do take along time to go under,but still the best way.

If you put pinkies into a plastic bag, squeeze the air out, then fill it with CO2, they die very quickly. Leave air in there, and they take ages to die.

Jamie

My mate breeds thousands of rats,ive watched him use CO2 on them.If an animal is under stress it will urinate itself.These rats with gas dont do that at all they just go to sleep,its really the only clean way to do it other than blunt trauma to the head but that is messy.Pinkies do take along time to go under,but still the best way.

How quickly does your friend introduce the gas? This is the main thing I'm unsure about when I do mine. Is it right just to fill the container with it as quick as possible or should it be a slow/gentle thing?

I use a soda stream. I think that's what a lot of people on here use. Or if you're going to be doing a lot of them you can get the cylinders from brewery shops

He uses a big tub with a hole in the side and a tube from the gas bottle.You dont need to blast them,just think about it all you need to do is replace the oxygen with CO2.If there in a clear tub you can watch to gauge how much.I have an account with BOC,as you need to hire bottles for welding.But if you look online you could buy a small bottle than take it to a marine aquarium shop and they could fill it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back