Putting Rats into a freezer to kill them?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks I read on here that someone recommended drowning over gassing so. The gas dosnt end up in the snake and so the snake gets more moisture ?

I guess it's up to you but I think about it like this. I'd prefer to go to sleep and not wake up (ie from gas) than drown to death

You do not place reptile straight into the freezer. You have to put them in a fridge first so they go to sleep. And no you dont place mamals straight into the freezer/.
you can but cold blooded animals down this way like crabs or reptiles but never mammals as its extreamly painful
the feet and hands get that cold before death and the animal passes out from the pain (not good!!!)

I guess it's up to you but I think about it like this. I'd prefer to go to sleep and not wake up (ie from gas) than drown to death
I have read the drowning is comfortable as once you realise you are dying you relax and in some cases men have become aroused from drowning.

has someone ever told you that drowning is comfortable? no, because they are dead

imo death in any sence will be plainfull or have some sort of trauma towards the animal ..

ps. sorry for the original comment lol

Last edited:
People have been brought back.... I know a guy who's heart stopped for over a minute he didn't speak of pain. Doctors can tell if people are in pain because of the receptors in the brain that show it. Studies are done all the time, all I am saying is that something I read a while back said that if you are drowning then you realise what is happening and calm down and get comfortable.

Thats total bull, if you pass out from lack of oxygen you dont remember anything, Iv almost drowned twice and it was a horrible experience (I didnt pass out)

If I could remember where I read it I would give you the authors name so you could argue with him/her not my argument.

Thats total bull, if you pass out from lack of oxygen you dont remember anything, Iv almost drowned twice and it was a horrible experience (I didnt pass out)

agreed. I almost drowned in a rip as a child, very traumatic

Thankful to everyone who shared their opinions, beliefs and experience. My mate is not a cruel person, he was doing what he believed to be one of the accepted methods of killing rodents. I will certainly be doing my best to convert him to either snapping their necks or CO2.
I have never frozen a rat personally, usually prefer blunt force trauma,
Cheers

I tried this once - and once only. I put three medium sized rats in a box and put them in the freezer. A couple of days later I opened the box and found three very cold shivering rats, still very much alive in the box. I still have nightmares about it. I can only imagine how cold they must have been and vowed never to do it again. Naturally, the 3 ratsicles were placed back in their enclosure and recovered, living a life of luxury until they died of old age. I could never bring myself round to killing them once I had accidentally tortured them.

Please don't try to kill rats by freezing. It is very inhumane.

That's a good ending to a horror story. Unfortunately these things happen and people should be made aware that it's an extremely unpleasant death for a rodent (or almost anything in that regard).

I had a friend of mine euthanize rabbits the same way. I was horrified when I found out! Please, don't anyone out there continue this. Out of sight shouldn't mean out of mind. It's a horrific, slow and painful way to die. Compassion goes a long way in this hobby, or at least it should.

Hi - freezing an animal is incredibly wicked. The freezing method causes ice crystals to form in the blood vessels, causing a long and excruciating death. No animal on earth deserves this treatment. Shame on your mate!

There is no shame on my mate, he did what he believed was a recognised practice, it was a mistake, I went into great depths yesterday explaining to him the information that has been provided to me in the post. He intends not to do it that way from now on.
I have received a number of different methods to do this job so thank you, as far as the flaming goes, give it a rest.
Ever since I can remember members on this site have been complaining about the flaming they get when they ask an honest question. If people were less incline to get on the bandwagon and hack on a person asking a question or requesting advice maybe, just maybe more members would post questions which would help all Herp enthusiast and do so without the guilt treatment. Just a thought. No more replies thanks, have read enough.

I know you said no more replies but I just wanted to say I agree entirely. I've asked what I thought to be reasonable questions before and been flamed. Don't give up some of us are still willing to help. Like I and others have said this mistake has been made before and will be made again by people who just don't know. As long as your friend knows the right way now all is good

People have been brought back.... I know a guy who's heart stopped for over a minute he didn't speak of pain. Doctors can tell if people are in pain because of the receptors in the brain that show it. Studies are done all the time, all I am saying is that something I read a while back said that if you are drowning then you realise what is happening and calm down and get comfortable.

Now I know how to go - just swim out in the surf, so far that I can't get back, realise there's nothing else to do but drown, relax and let it happen. Fabulous way to go... in fact, let's all do it! The beaches would be littered with relaxed, happy, smiling corpses. Maybe on your planet Dannyboi... but not on mine.

Jamie

Its not a good comparison. Humans are an intelligent apex predator. Rats are a highly preyed appon food item that reproduce in large numbers and have a short life span.

Its not a good comparison. Humans are an intelligent apex predator. Rats are a highly preyed appon food item that reproduce in large numbers and have a short life span.

What's not a good comparison? Rats are intelligent, sentient beings as well, regardless of their place in the food chain, how fecund they are, or how long they live. Is your desultory description of rats an excuse to abuse them?

Jamie

Iv'e never killed a rodent that wasn't already dying.....stuff the cat dragged in kinda thing. I have a dislike to rodents ever since my brother got a rat as they stink up the place but I still treat them right. I say you can kill whatever you want so long as there are plenty of them and you do it right. Sure rats are intelligent but so are pigs people still eat pig.

Thankful to everyone who shared their opinions, beliefs and experience. My mate is not a cruel person, he was doing what he believed to be one of the accepted methods of killing rodents. I will certainly be doing my best to convert him to either snapping their necks or CO2.
I have never frozen a rat personally, usually prefer blunt force trauma,
Cheers

It is up to us on here to educate people. Same as there are still people out there that still think it is OK to feed live. I make a point of telling them otherwise. I show them a diamond python that was given to us from the vet's, covered in big scars inflicted from a rat. Hopefully, that will make them think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back