Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjohnson64

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
OK, no-one seems to want to post anything tonight so here is something new. A reptile price list.

I remember that as a bird breeder in the late 70's (I Know, leave me alone) the bird magazines would all publish th eprices of all the different birds you could buy. so, if you wanted to buy a pair of Ecelctus, you knew the price was about $2,000 (and it was back then).

I am just wondering why we haven't evolved to doing such a thing for reptiles. Of course, we wouldn't want Afro setting the price for Childrens because it would be too low, but otherwise it would make life much easier.

Now I know that everyone is about to start shouting TPA & collusion at me and I accept that. But hey, if the law society can recommend fees (that no-one has to adhere to) and accountants can publish their standard charge rates why can't we publish average prices for various reptiles.

I will start with a black eyed leucistic ball python at $300,000.

Of course, thanks go to people like our sponsors who all do this but there ranges are still somewhat limited and usually the sign says "sold out".

Now this thread should at least last th enight out.

cheers

Pete the accountant.

Why would Phil set the childreni price too low? $150 has been the regular price over the last couple of years, I'm amazed at how much people are asking for average Anteresia this season.

I think, that in a way Dicco, you are supporting me. I was actually commenting that Phil is quite resonable with his prices and seems to be lower than the norm.

I think this is a good idea Peter although the prices differ due to the quality of the animal(looks) the bloodline/locale and also the size/age of the animal.

It is still possible it would just be a very long list.

Coastal Hatchy : $120
Bredli Hatchy: $350-400
Olive Hatchy: $400-450

Just my estimations to what I have seen around.

Prices here in Perth for an adult Stimson range from $350 - $595. You guys just dont know how good you have it over there.

I'll swap you some maccies for your stimmies......:D:D:D

We must take to concideration place of purchase. You get coastals much cheaper in queensland then in Melbourne and same counts for some other species.

Ummm, let me see...

Central Netted adults - $90 - $175 each (yep, all these prices that I will quote are prices I have seen them go for between this year and last year)
Central Netted Htachies/Juvies - $75 - $150 (private) and anywhere up to $200 (pet shops)
Tawny Dragon adults - $50 - $120
Red Barred Dragon adults - $120 - $250 (the cheapest price was at a pet shop :shock: )
Central Bearded Dragon hatchies/juvies - $35 and up depending on colours, age, and how desparate the seller is to sell
Central Bearded Dragon adults - $70 - $600 Yes - I saw someone advertising that price a few months back!
Crested Dragons $250+ (any age)
Water Dragons - I haven't seen many around, but I remember seeing some hatchies one or 2 seasons ago at the $45 each mark...
I don't know about the snakes lol
Bex

Prices will vary due to many circumstances.

WA keepers can be expected to pay a higher price due to no importation from other states allowed & local sales being excessive.

Breeders who have earlier clutches may also ask a higher price for their offspring due to availibility & demand, but prices will drop once their is several clutches available & competition is greater. Just look at the GTP market this season from $9800 - $6500

Afro's childreni is a good example.
$150 is the average for this species IMO, but this season they were first advertised at $250 then $200. Again this will go down soon enough.

There is also the "denial breeders"
1. The breeder who was ripped off & thinks they have something special when in reality they dont. They may or may not know they were conned, & proceed in trying to con others.

2. The breeder who seems to think their time & effort must be awarded above everyone else's. This breeder may have 2nd, 3rd or even 4th generation offspring (although no different in looks or temperament to any 1st generation) and expect fame & fortune for their efforts.

hey pete
i started a reptile price list a couple of months back and it got a bit difficult..
all the thing you have to take into consideration... sex, colour, age breeder, location blah blah blah..
so i decided to just do a rough guide... with a note saying please take into consideration all the above points...
well heres what i got..
its not complete yet.. far from it.. and the bit down the bottom was some info someone else gave me..

Megz

2. The breeder who seems to think their time & effort must be awarded above everyone else's. This breeder may have 2nd, 3rd or even 4th generation offspring (although no different in looks or temperament to any 1st generation) and expect fame & fortune for their efforts.

i would have to disagree with you there, if thats the case why do people line breed for different traits and stuff? and you must agree for example a 4th generation blond looks better then a 1st or 2nd. look at shane skarff, he has 7th and 8th generation blonds and they look great but your saying they are no better then a 2nd generation? not having a go, imo its just an interesting opinion.

OK, I accept everything that has been said above. when pied cockatiels came out they were a different price to normals. That was fine, but when one person wants $75 for a beardie and another $600 as Beck said. Well, sorry, that just doesn't cut it with me, and that is why I have suggested this list. It will help people new to the hobby and I believe that if we want our hobby to grow we need to be especially kind to new entrants. That way they will stay, and eventually become advocates. Otherwise, it stays a closed shop and only the really knowledgable may enter. I could argue that my tax returns are different to the guy down the street and that is why my prices are different - and I may be right, but Joe Public doesn't understand that or care. I could also charge a different price for each tax return depending on complexity - but again, no one cares. Lets try to make our hobby easy to get into. The only thing I have bred are eastern long necks and I asked $40 each for them. There was no haggling and they sold without advertising. maybe I asked to little but I had no benchmark. sorry this is a long winded post but I am trying to keep my numbers down. But at least we are stirring up some debate.

Jason I think JandC_Reptiles was saying there are people who think just cause their animals are multiple generation that they are worth more even if they don't look any better then the norm. (Not - "later generations of line bred animals don't look any different").

re Reptile

You cant really draw lists up that mean anything peter because variables that effect price such as some authorities that advocate the collection of wild herps,what class a reptile is placed on by the authorities,if you are allowed to sell in shops where you live etc.Mostly its just the good old fashioned supply and demand that will sought things out not some group getting together and setting prices,like the emails you get"what are you going to sell yours for this year 8) "its gonna be probably less than theres so i can move them 8) :lol:

Jason I think JandC_Reptiles was saying there are people who think just cause their animals are multiple generation that they are worth more even if they don't look any better then the norm. (Not - "later generations of line bred animals don't look any different").

far enough, thanks for that. my bad for not understanding. as i said i wasnt having a shot. :D

Hi Jason,

The difference between Shane & the EG: I made is that Shane is not just line breeding he is also selective breeding, choosing animals with the best colour, tempremant & traits. I clearly stated in brackets that the EG's 4th generation was no different to any 1st generation normal looking babies. It may also be possible for my EG: to pass off these as multi generation when in fact they may not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back