Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some animals cant be given a set price.

Jungles are a prime example.

Athertons, tullys, palmerstons, B@W's. All these are jungles, all
these will have different prices.

I am a breeder and I set my own prices. The people who buy from
me are the same people who recommend me or not recommend me to others.

I must say though, the people who know quality animals are generally not
the ones who are looking for the cheapest snakes.

I pay top dollar for my animals, cut no corners raising and caring for them,
and so expect fair prices for the offspring.

I have no interest in being the cheapest breeder in Australia, only one of the best.

firstly its obvious that you're not a breeder - possibly you may not want to do any work yourself.
Just my humble thoughts - i do find it interesting that this 'idea' did not come from any breeder.....
I personally always question why advertised 'top' animals are sold for low prices - I inherently dont trust it as I know the work that goes into breeding and caring for the animals - I am much more interested in doing my homework and tracking down the harder to get / more expensive animals for lots of common sense reasons - one of which is the follow up care by breeders who really do give a stuff about the homes their critters go to.
I know just how much time I spend going over details with beginners.
and It is NOT in any way - a hard hobby to get into!
one phone call, licence - in qld $50 for five years.
dont tell me it's 'hard' for any body.

plus there are a lot of really good breeders to be found who are willing to put the personal time and effort into seeing their animals homed properly and their buyers happy.

if you dont like the price and or animal - dont buy. simple as that. and yeah, you have to make an effort to find whats really good and if you want it - you'll put in that effort, no question.

well said moiette
it is up to the buyer we all know what we like and what we are willing to pay it is the same as any other thing we either want it bad enough to pay the price asked or we can say no thanx i do not realy want it at that price

well just an example i just paid $800 for a 8 month old hypo bredli now i know you can get these for $500 but as junglepython said you want top reptiles PAY for them! hte only way to go about a list is to state that it varys with the breeder, line and condition of the reptile.. set the price as the minimum price instead of a price range

What gets me is the assumption by a few, that quality reptiles are deemed to be that because they come from reputable breeders. The simple facts is that there is no difference in quality between reputable breeders or little Johnny next door if we are talking about hatchlings that are captive bred , healthy, and look nice. If you are talking about service or advice well that?s another matter but that has nothing to do with the quality of an animal. I have seen heaps of beautiful pythons produced by relatively unknown keepers that are as good as any reputable breeders. I often read that here that this guy and that guy has the best woma?s etc in the country, but when ever I see the pics that many are raving about I rarely see any thing unique about them and usually they are no different that most reptiles produced by your average punter and certainly of no more quality. If we are talking about pacific morphs then they stand on their on merits as being unique. Like as an example how is a well known reputable breeder like Roy Pails hypo Bredli?s any better quality than the ones that Indicus produces ? Answer, they aren?t regardless of price differences, if any.

Cheers Dave

This is all very interesting.
Let me put it this way - if I was desparately after a 'tiger x leopard leceusitic (sp?) purple spotted phase beardie' and someone had one avaialble, then I would pay whatever they were asking. And that doesn't matter if it's from my next door neighbour or the 'best beardie breeder of Aus' (do we have one of those?? lol). If I want it that badly, I will buy it from whoever is advertising - and pay whatever they are asking.
As for my neighbour having better quality animals than the 'best beardie breeder in aus', well, I would say that it is possible that there could be a difference in quality based on: the care that they care given, their housing arrangements, the foods they're offered and those sorts of standard things. But, I would like to think that most people who keep herps (and especially those that breed them - whether 1 single clutch a year or 500) would want to look after them the best that they can anyway.
I bust my balls for my beardies - they don't care at all (lol - they just give me that haughty look lol) but they're healthy and happy and that is the kind of thanks that I am after.

What everyone has more or less said IS correct though, it would be near impossible to make a list, and IMO a waste of your time Pete. Yeah ok, a newbie might get ripped off with their first snake by buying from a petshop and paying through their nose, but then once they have the animal, they join up to online communities like this one. They end up with more knowledge, and will probably buy direct from a breeder next time ;)
Ok, I'll shut up now lol

If you go to www.drive.com.au or www.redbook.com.au you can get a price for a 1993 holden statesman. It is an indicitave price and it doesn't mean that if you try to buy one you will pay that price. There are good cars and bad cars. But these people ahve created a very good database of prices. Of course, if you try to look up the price of a 1972 Ferrari Dino you can't find it because the information doesn't exist. why can this be done with cars that are extremely variable in regards to quality but not for reptiles? I can also tell you that the average coffee shop spends 7% of their turnover in Rent, and I reckon coffee shops are more variable than carpet pythons. Are we that unique? and as I said in my opening the bird community was doing this in the 70's and 80's and yes, each breeder would say exactly what everyone has said here about differences in stock & quality. A database need merely state that prices vary from "x" to "y" with an average of "z". And there are less than 250 reptile species registered as being kep in NSW, admittedly, thats more than would be birds, but way less than types of cars you can buy. All we need is an online database. When you buy or sell a reptile, merely enter the numbers. The database can collate the spread, median & mean prices for us. And please don't "shut up now" Bek, yours and everyone elses opinions are really important to me and hopefully everyone else here. Thats why we have a discussion forum. I Hope! (sorry, I am just sulking)

There is absolutely no sound reason why any body couldn't come up with a price list based on healthy animals and estimated averages from past or present sales. You would need a different price range when referring to juveniles though.
I think it is a good idea and many people will find a price guide handy. After all, how many times do people ask on this forum what would you expect to pay for particular reptiles? I know it been a few. I myself wouldn't know the average prices of some the more insignificant species not commonly kept.
Cheers Dave

I reckon its a good idea pj64.

Maybe you could have something like this for each species.

Coastal Carpet-
Breeding Pair
Adult Male
Adult Female
Yearling Male
Yearling Female
Hatchling

I tried to make colums but couldnt get it to work.
Maybe have seperate colums for Standard, Hypo and Special or something like that.

well, from my recent purchase - coastal carpet adult male $200 - $350.

Pete- if you are willing to set up a database with info I am sure most people will be willing to give price ranges :) I think it's the hard work that most people object to :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back