Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is no dig at anyone or snake but Reptiles are expensive?
Set up, heat, thermostats, enclosure then the snake etc so I believe impulse buying wont be a real problem.
facts I can ring up any snake breeder reputation or not get bank details pay for animal have it shipped
Keep it in a cardboard box, As to walk in to petshops and buy the snake saying I have an enclosure that my father had his snake in ten years previous knowing the only snake my father had was hanging off the end of a shovel.
I believe we need to educate people to excepting snakes rather than killing. petshops may buy the unwanted snakes to eliminate a small number of deaths and releases when buyer get sick of them it happens. I know when I started I was scared of snakes didn't know if I could look after one, touch red books etc but no hands on stuff. so I asked a friend if my snake and I didn't work out would he have the space for it. May be frowned apon but I had a plan if I failed as a career.

in NSW a 2 year pensioner licence is $50 and full price is $63. that will not stop impulse buying. also i doubt pet shops will inform buyers wen they get their licence that they are subject to random visits from DEC for inspections.

It's all well and good to say "we have good enough shops, and there are plenty of breeders around, and if you want something particular you can get it from another state", but we aren't all from Sydney or a suburb of which who all have a breeder just down the road. Pet shops selling reptiles would be extremely beneficial when your only other options are to go searching for breeders that sell the species you want, the likelihood being that they are a number of hours away and will not freight, or travel 16 - 20 hours in one weekend (as I have done the last two years) to get to the Expos once a year.

The main concern for selling any animal in a pet shop is that employees are required to push a sale when the animal gets too old (my shop doesn't sell pets other than fish luckily). But when an animal gets older, they need to get rid of it, so instead of sussing out the buyers that may be impulse buying, they need to convince the buyer that this is a good idea.

I think if employees are trained properly in the information they need to tell the people first, and there should be a system of proof that they have all of the required enclosure setup, then it should be fine....but that will never happen.
Haha, thats gold, we have adult animals in our shop that have been there for ages, like a psycho water python, sold to dimwits with no clue, by a breeder, and then passed on to us when it all got too hard. They are cared for and fed like all the others and we have probably spent 3 times as much as we are selling them for on food and upkeep. Yes I could push this snake onto some unsuspecting patsy but when they ask what the temperament is like I say it is very aggressive and anyone with no experience is immediately put off. And again, proof is not required by most breeders either. We make most reptile revenue from food and equipment. You'd be surprised if I were to name some of the breeders that sell to us. They are well respected breeders with years of experience and well known lines of animals, some even have a few books up their sleeve.

I would like to now how the price is going to be because I really don't think they are going to breed there own so they will have to buy from a breeder mark up the price like 50% then they will have feeding expences and a rise in electricity so how much are they going to be selling reptiles for

Haha, thats gold, we have adult animals in our shop that have been there for ages, like a psycho water python, sold to dimwits with no clue, by a breeder, and then passed on to us when it all got too hard. They are cared for and fed like all the others and we have probably spent 3 times as much as we are selling them for on food and upkeep. Yes I could push this snake onto some unsuspecting patsy but when they ask what the temperament is like I say it is very aggressive and anyone with no experience is immediately put off. And again, proof is not required by most breeders either. We make most reptile revenue from food and equipment. You'd be surprised if I were to name some of the breeders that sell to us. They are well respected breeders with years of experience and well known lines of animals, some even have a few books up their sleeve.

Oh, well a good pet shop you work at then! I have a few friends that have worked in other pet shops and have been told to push the sale of something like a rabbit to a puppy because it's reaching an older age, good to know this isn't happening everywhere, the idea sickens me!
I suppose the only real concern then is making sure the pet shops they are being sold in are good ones with informed employees on the care for them. That's true, I had someone come in the other day saying he keeps his Diamond Python in a bird cage outside with no heating, and he was going to put a gecko in with it..apparently the breeder said that they would be fine together and this is a suitable enclosure. I guess it is similar with breeders, selling some to absolute idiots and can give them the wrong information.
I suppose I may be for the idea as long as the employees are experienced in the proper requirements to sell them with.

in NSW a 2 year pensioner licence is $50 and full price is $63. that will not stop impulse buying. also i doubt pet shops will inform buyers wen they get their licence that they are subject to random visits from DEC for inspections.

I hope licences will be changed as to online instant back to 21 days.
We have no say governments will have it a go a head as they see money we see possible neglect, and impulse purchases.

I would like to now how the price is going to be because I really don't think they are going to breed there own so they will have to buy from a breeder mark up the price like 50% then they will have feeding expences and a rise in electricity so how much are they going to be selling reptiles for
That's a good point

You seem to be taking all this quite personally. We get it, you work in a pet shop and run a tight ship. Kudos to you. Sadly there are many shops that aren't run this way. This isn't just about one shop(yours), it's about legislation that allows many shops to start trading in reptiles. The odds will undoubtedly stack up against the reptiles welfare.

You seem to be taking all this quite personally. We get it, you work in a pet shop and run a tight ship. Kudos to you. Sadly there are many shops that aren't run this way. This isn't just about one shop(yours), it's about legislation that allows many shops to start trading in reptiles. The odds will undoubtedly stack up against the reptiles welfare.

Not at all and I said earlier their are many bad shops around. It is a lot easier to push a fluffy bunny or kitten onto someone than a full grown psycho snake though. As soon as it comes out of the enclosure the buyer is going to know the truth. I also related the story about the BHP that shows I make mistakes as well, we are all only human after all. I just get annoyed with the statements that every shop is bad because there are good shops around and a lot of people on here work for them. The biggest problem is most shops hire juniors because they don't want to pay adult wages and then they don't train them properly. And that happens with all animals from fish to dogs.They also want to sell every kind of animal that they can and the staff are expected to give advise on all of them. Personally I think if NSW is going to go down that road, instant online licencing needs to be stopped. It is a lot more effort to download applications, take them to JP's, send them back in and wait. And I don't work in a pet shop, I work in an aquarium and reptile shop. As for running a tight ship, I have to or I wouldn't have a job, and that is how all good shops operate. There have been plenty of posts on APS about people neglecting animals sold to them by breeders. What do you suggest, all shops and breeders demand home visits to ensure the animal will be safe. Nice in theory but never going to happen. Maybe the governments of each state should make it harder to get a licence and demand people do courses etc. I actually think selling dogs and cats in shops is worse, don't require any kind of licence to buy a dog or cat. One thing I will say though, even though we do sell them, turtles should be put back on licence and/or shops should not be able to sell them,

Last edited:
My personal thought on this is seriously conflicted.

The pet shops around my area give really bad advice, one lady from one pet shop(as an example) thought that BHP's are "poisonous" and it kind of annoyed me for 1 that she thought BHP's are venomous and 2 because she said poisonous and was giving me lecture that BHP's should only be fed XXL rats??

Anyway, I also think it would be good for the industry however there will be a lot of impulse buying, especially since you practically get your licence in 5 mins if you do it online now.
I think it will be good if the pet shop employers and employees are taught about rep's and so they have at least some knowledge OR they should have the correct sights in a pamphlet or something that has some good sights with DECENT info - SXR's sight with all of their awesome and helpful info (Doc Rock) and there are many more.
Obviously some will read it and some will not but at least it is out there for people to read through.

Anyways, there is my 2c worth :p

I haven't read the whole 3 pages of comment but I say that it could be a good idea to make herp keeping more recognised and mainstream. On the negative side though like any form of business there are always gonna be the rogues out there that don't care for the product just the profits. Obviously there needs to be some sort of course for these shop owners and if big enough some of their staff to learn more about the husbandry requirements.

On another note, these pet shops are going to need to get their stock from already established breeders. I think that maybe breeders approached by petshop owners should check out these shops before they agree to supply them and do regular checks before restocking supplies.

it will have some advantages but i don't see that there will be much profit out come for pet shop owners.. .........It will happen cause "revenue" decc went over $$$ in last financial years budget.

Last edited:
I've always wondered just how a reptile shop determines if an animal they bought yesterday and will sell to someone tomorrow has something like sunshine virus? the turnover a shop would have makes quarantine an issue in my opinion. Im neither for or against this selling of reptiles in shops in NSW but personally dont even go into pet shops let alone buy anything from them especially live aninals. just my opinion.

I dont see any difference between private sellers and public shops selling, except that the shops have public scrutiny and we all know how the public love to point out anything which is wrong. Most shops have to have long term alliances with suppliers to protect the million dollar investments. Sure there are a few fly by nighters who buy whatevers cheapest, but that also applies to some private "breeders".

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wondered just how a reptile shop determines if an animal they bought yesterday and will sell to someone tomorrow has something like sunshine virus? the turnover a shop would have makes quarantine an issue in my opinion. Im neither for or against this selling of reptiles in shops in NSW but personally dont even go into pet shops let alone buy anything from them especially live aninals. just my opinion.

My sentiments exactly .... shops flog off animals to unsuspecting newcomers all the time :(

May be this should be like gun licences?
1. Awareness training and assessment.
2. Before purchases and a permit to acquire.

How ever this will cause trouble for breeders to get their money within a set time of waiting for a permit.
Costing will increase, but lower impulse buying.
(I hate waiting for import permits cos it stuffs everyone around).

Yeah, I think pet shops shouldn't actually stock live animals but instead give information then if the buyer is still interested, the shop can advise them of good breeders for the actual purchase of the animal. They should then just stock reptile supplies and care equipment etc.

Colin l agree with this sentiment but how do these viruses that have already spread with no pet shops (with reptiles yet) shadey sellers (private keepers) and poor quarantine proceedures and its amazing how many posts in this thread KNOW whats going to happen.....l personally dont purchase from petshops but l have nothing against them.......but its my experience some of our reptile specialty pet shops are staffed by keepers ON THIS SITE on the other side of the coin l wonder how keepers like myself have had private people turn up that just haven't got a clue but they know that they want a white snake or a green snake or one with blotches .......on another point l believe the allowing of reptiles into pet shops here in QLD boosted the industry 3 - 4 years here whether you think thats a price too high to pay or not is everybodies opinion.......solar 17.....ps now l think about it l believe every specialty shop has keepers that are on this site......try telling Joy and her sons (who run the Ipswich show) and print a mag that the staff have no experience in their shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back