Rookie Snake Owner =)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dippy

Reaction score
Hey guy's bought a beautiful little Children's Python the other week, I've let her settle in for a little over a week now but the breeder didn't handle her very much and she is otherwise a little bitey lol. She strikes at everything me, my family and even the Tv lol, I guess i'm just wondering what is the best approach to calming her down and get her to be more handleable? And from experience, how long do you think it will take her to calm down. She's just turned a year old if that changes anything lol.

Hey guy's bought a beautiful little Children's Python the other week, I've let her settle in for a little over a week now but the breeder didn't handle her very much and she is otherwise a little bitey lol. She strikes at everything me, my family and even the Tv lol, I guess i'm just wondering what is the best approach to calming her down and get her to be more handleable? And from experience, how long do you think it will take her to calm down. She's just turned a year old if that changes anything lol.
yearlings can bet bitey - but u also have to keep in the back of your mind it may never tolerate being handled .

she will get use to the traffic, my female black head did that as soon as something went near the enclosure but after a few weeks she didnt worry about it anymore.

Well that thought is there lol, I'm thinking about getting a Bredli next as i hear they are the most placid of snakes.

Handle her every day for about 10-15 minutes. Most snakes will calm down with regular handling.
My Olive was a bit sketchy when I got her, and now she is an absolute angel.
I do also have a Water, but she will always be a psycho hahaha.
She is still young so there is still a very good chance of her claming down.

You can't count on a placid Bredli, what species it is doesn't determine what kind of temperament it will have.
I have seen some vicious Bredli, and some suprisingly tame Waters, it comes down to the individual snake.

all snakes are different, most will tollerate handling and some will just flat out hate it. my mums bredli doesnt like to be handled

The other thing i'm curious about is the bite from a larger snake, as mine is only 45cm long i can only really feel her mouth hit me... No teeth or anything. But compare her to something like a Bedli even to an Olive or a Scrubbie for that matter. I really want a larger snake and the Albino Olives are the ones i'm aiming for, Even though price wise their pretty expensive lol

they dont hurt really so to speak, personally the force they hit with and the strike itself is what makes you jump. they bleed a bit but then they are fine

A bite from a large snake can be quite painful, but getting bitten is something you'll get used to when it comes to keeping snakes.
I do love the Olives, well all Liasis for that matter :D I think they are a really good snake if you want something a bit bigger.
Most Olives are pretty chilled out, but there will always be a few nutters. Olives do have a very strong feeding response, definately something you have to be very careful of.

Some spotted pythons have a bitey streak a mile wide. They are a member of the "childrens group" Anteresia, but they aren't necessarily the best snakes for a child! They are however quite a bullet proof animal which makes them great for newbies because they can tolerate a fair bit stodgy husbandry, and generally have a food response that pound for pound would do an olive proud.

My Bredli was really snappy when he was younger, all I did was handle him for short periods a couple of times a day. Now he's nearly 2 and loves to be handled.

Hood luck though.

i had a spotted who was the same, she bites alot but i guess you get used to it and they stop doing it after they get used to being handled, it will take time but she will get used to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back