Rules for Rugby World Cup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first upset. All credit to the Irish...they played well. I'll bet they painted Wellington green last night.

WOW!

Sorry Australia - I've re-written my possible outcomes - It looks like Aussie goes home early - sorry... But at least Australia will make the quarter finals.

It looks like a Black vs Roses final - with an easy 29 - 9 win over the roses (same score in 1987 tho that time against the cockerels)

WOW!

Sorry Australia - I've re-written my possible outcomes - It looks like Aussie goes home early - sorry... But at least Australia will make the quarter finals.

It looks like a Black vs Roses final - with an easy 29 - 9 win over the roses (same score in 1987 tho that time against the cockerels)
We're not done yet!... although the Wallabies have to do it the hard way now, as they have to get past the Springboks in the quarter finals now.
I'll bet that one of us get through to the final though and either one of us is capable of beating the All Blacks.

The first upset. All credit to the Irish...they played well. I'll bet they painted Wellington green last night.
I was right... Fans paint the town green after Irish win Rugby... | Stuff.co.nz
"We had the whole venue filled with Kiwis, South Africans and a few Welsh, and all were cheering on the Irish."

Why is it that you guys love to beat us (or see us beaten) so much?

Last edited:
We're not done yet!... although the Wallabies have to do it the hard way now, as they have to get past the Springboks in the quarter finals now.
I'll bet that one of us get through to the final though and either one of us is capable of beating the All Blacks.

I was right...Fans paint the town green after Irish win Rugby... | Stuff.co.nz

Why is it that you guys love to beat us Aussies so much?

Haha... Well - where does it start???

Picture Wales - there's an England vs New Zealand final... Wales is on the SAME island as England. In fact... some may even say governed by the same government.... You don't even need a passport to go between the two countries... But who do you think the Welsh will support?

NZ has an inferiority complex to big bro oz...

I was in the USA - and how many bloody yanks said... Oi, Aussie...

My reply... I'm a kiwi!!!

New Zealand... Oh yer... I know the place... Isn't it that island below Australia.... (got your American accent on?)

Ummmm (i reply) do you mean Tasmania?

Isn't that New Zealand?

The island BELOW Australia is Tasmania....

Oh...

This is an actual conversation I have had...

So... We're inferior... We have something to prove...

I spent 7 years getting shepp shagging jokes and people saying Say fush and chups for us... Please....

I started teaching in a chemistry class and started talking about groups of atoms... Here we have group one... Group two... Three... four... five and here's group six.... and a kid puts up his hand and asks... "Do atoms really have group sex?"

So... When ever Australia plays a country - it is that country I adopt as my own... Even when I was in Australia I did that (though much much quieter).

I found - so long I was out with a bunch of Australians, and at least ONE of them was a Tasmanian, I would be safe from the barrage of sheep shagging jokes and they'd all pick on the Tasmanian....

I personally think RSA will be too strong for Australia and far more hungry to win.

I also thing that Mr Cooper is feeling the Cooperhate - there's some hate out there for him here (it's official).

If NZ doesn't win... I want Ireland to win!!! or Wales....

I do NOT WANT Australia, South Africa, England or France to win... Any other country is fine.... ANY other country!!! Preferably NZ though!

Fair enough. I always wondered what it was about. Thanks for shedding some light on it.
I toured N.Z playing rugby as a school boy and got punched out by a Maori at a party. I won't go into details (what happens on tour stays on tour eh!) but let's just say it was a bit of an over-reaction on his part I thought. It was a long time ago now but the inter-Tasman rivalry has been going long and strong.
Despite this I consider you guys to be our Tasman brothers (I even have a Kiwi rugby mate!) and hope you guys win if we don't. 8)

Haha... Well - where does it start???

Picture Wales - there's an England vs New Zealand final... Wales is on the SAME island as England. In fact... some may even say governed by the same government.... You don't even need a passport to go between the two countries... But who do you think the Welsh will support?

NZ has an inferiority complex to big bro oz...

I was in the USA - and how many bloody yanks said... Oi, Aussie...

My reply... I'm a kiwi!!!

New Zealand... Oh yer... I know the place... Isn't it that island below Australia.... (got your American accent on?)

Ummmm (i reply) do you mean Tasmania?

Isn't that New Zealand?

The island BELOW Australia is Tasmania....

Oh...

This is an actual conversation I have had...

So... We're inferior... We have something to prove...

I spent 7 years getting shepp shagging jokes and people saying Say fush and chups for us... Please....

I started teaching in a chemistry class and started talking about groups of atoms... Here we have group one... Group two... Three... four... five and here's group six.... and a kid puts up his hand and asks... "Do atoms really have group sex?"

So... When ever Australia plays a country - it is that country I adopt as my own... Even when I was in Australia I did that (though much much quieter).

I found - so long I was out with a bunch of Australians, and at least ONE of them was a Tasmanian, I would be safe from the barrage of sheep shagging jokes and they'd all pick on the Tasmanian....

I personally think RSA will be too strong for Australia and far more hungry to win.

I also thing that Mr Cooper is feeling the Cooperhate - there's some hate out there for him here (it's official).

If NZ doesn't win... I want Ireland to win!!! or Wales....

I do NOT WANT Australia, South Africa, England or France to win... Any other country is fine.... ANY other country!!! Preferably NZ though!
Whooooooa! steady on Sheep molester, you got enough issues to be a Pom.......:))))))))))

Whooooooa! steady on Sheep molester, you got enough issues to be a Pom.......:))))))))))

HAHA!

I have no issues at all... Really... It's a whole country!!!

I think we've always felt we need to prove ourselves against our brothers in Aussie....

But at the same, we've always been the small 'independent' brother! I remember ANZUS... We always choose to be different.

Unfortunately, our similarity to Australia is the tall poppy syndrome... And if the All Blacks don't win, we have some serious possibilities of depression and economic ruin.... So yeah... we take it a bit seriously hehe...

Lee - you must know what it's like when England under perform at the FIFA World Cup... It's probably very similar here (with less violence perhaps).

HAHA!

I have no issues at all... Really... It's a whole country!!!

I think we've always felt we need to prove ourselves against our brothers in Aussie....

But at the same, we've always been the small 'independent' brother! I remember ANZUS... We always choose to be different.

Unfortunately, our similarity to Australia is the tall poppy syndrome... And if the All Blacks don't win, we have some serious possibilities of depression and economic ruin.... So yeah... we take it a bit seriously hehe...

Lee - you must know what it's like when England under perform at the FIFA World Cup... It's probably very similar here (with less violence perhaps).
I know where you're coming from Slim....Wales, Scotland and Ireland, have the inferiority complex with most things English, and want us to fail at everything, whereas most English want them to do well....not at our expense though:).......As for the football, her indoors puts me on suicide watch, come Europeans and World cups...................................................:(

There's a bit of this getting around it seems. Australia like beating the mother country for similar reasons. :p

I forgot to ask you something Slim. You mentioned that "Mr Cooper is feeling the Cooperhate - there's some hate out there for him here (it's official)."
I assume that you're talking about Adam Ashley-Cooper here. Why is there "Cooperhate" out there?

Last edited:
There's a bit of this getting around it seems. Australia like beating the mother country for similar reasons. :p

I forgot to ask you something Slim. You mentioned that "Mr Cooper is feeling the Cooperhate - there's some hate out there for him here (it's official)."
I assume that you're talking about Adam Ashley-Cooper here. Why is there "Cooperhate" out there?

Quade my friend... Adam Ashely - no real issue....

Rugby World Cup | Quade Cooper happy to be villain... | Stuff.co.nz

Ah!...the other Cooper. Yes, I can imagine that he gets up the oppositions (and their supporters) noses. Maybe it's a tactic ;)

Anyway, we're not even half way through the pool stage, so there's still a lot of rugby left to play.
I'm hoping that the Samoans can cause another upset by surprising the Springboks (as they did to us), or am I grasping at straws?...maybe I'm just wishing for another upset so that the wallabies aren't the only surprise in this tournament.
Another match-up that I'm looking forward to is the All Blacks - French encounter. They can be a clever outfit that have surprised many an unwary foe, although it's hard to imagine the All Blacks not making the final cut.

To be honest, I'm probably just wanting to make myself feel a bit better after our shock loss to the Irish and would like to wipe a few smiles off some very happy chappies at the moment (present company excepted).

Last edited:
Ah!...the other Cooper. Yes, I can imagine that he gets up the oppositions (and their supporters) noses. Maybe it's a tactic ;)

Anyway, we're not even half way through the pool stage, so there's still a lot of rugby left to play.
I'm hoping that the Samoans can cause another upset by surprising the Springboks (as they did to us), or am I grasping at straws?...maybe I'm just wishing for another upset so that the wallabies aren't the only surprise in this tournament.
Another match-up that I'm looking forward to is the All Blacks - French encounter. They can be a clever outfit that have surprised many an unwary foe, although it's hard to imagine the All Blacks not making the final cut.

To be honest, I'm probably just wanting to make myself feel a bit better after our shock loss to the Irish and would like to wipe a few smiles off some very happy chappies at the moment (present company excepted).

By many I think you mean New Zealand....

They ave a surprisingly good record against the ABs.... But at home, the ABs will be too strong.

Complacency lost us the game in 2007 against the French - this will not be a Graham Henry thing this time!

And finally - a real challenge in the pool matches.

As for Samoa - Well, they came off second best in the Welsh contest - So I am not sure they can come up with a trump card against South Africa - but I also think that would be nice!

Samoa have made the quarter finals before! In fact, three times before! So they have a good record! But have never made it further. Their current pool is the hardest pool they've ever been in!

I think that you're spot-on with your assessment there Slim.

An analyst I was listening to recently reckons that it's mathematically possible for the wallabies to still come out on top of their pool. I think he said that it depends on how Italy go, who are playing Russia now...

Final score Italy 53 - Russia 17 (with a try by Luke Maclean from Townsville who's playing for Italy now).
The Italians looked very good. They might be able to beat the Irish in the last match of the pool. If this happens then there's a chance that the wallabies can top their pool. :)

Last edited:
I think that you're spot-on with your assessment there Slim.

An analyst I was listening to recently reckons that it's mathematically possible for the wallabies to still come top of their pool. I think he said that it depends on how Italy go, who are playing Russia now...half time score is 38-7.
Final score is Italy 53 - Russia 17 with a try by Luke Maclean from Townsville (he's playing for Italy now).
The Italians look very good. They might be able to beat the Irish in the last match of the pool.

But if the Italians beat the Irish and secure another bonus point, that could send the Wallabies home from Pool Play - meaning the Wallabies will need to qualify for the next RWC!!!

But that would also rely on Ireland securing more points than Australia... Oh... Pool C is the hardest pool to pick!

If Italy beat Ireland and get the bonus point (and say they beat USA with bonus point) that will put Italy at 15 points.

Then if Australia beat Russia and USA with bonus points - that puts Australia on.... Yep... 15 points.

Then (assuming Ireland lose to Italy as above but still get a bonus point) but beat Russia (and maybe get a bonus point there) that takes them to 14 points... And Ireland go home...

But if Australia does NOT get the 2 bonus points then Australia (mathematically speaking) could be on a sad ride and very early one - going home!

But the way I see it - Australia will most likely come second in the pool and face the South Africans, and Ireland will come first and have to face the Welsh!

Either way - ONE big name is going home in round two...

Just as a side....

New Zealand and France are the ONLY two teams to have a perfect score so far (ie 10 points from two matches) - this weekend - Saturday... France meet New Zealand and will determine the pool standings....

If France beat NZ - it would be a bigger upset than the Australians losing to Ireland... But... If the ABs lose on Saturday, watch out Lee - the ABs will take England down and out in the second round....

I just feel for Argentina (assuming they make it - we'll find out this weekend in their clash with Scotland) - Argentina are unlikely to be able to compete against the All Blacks in round two... So Argentina will be praying for a French victory too... The Argentineans know they can beat France on the big stage!

Oh... I should be a rugby commentator!

- - - EXTRA - - -

NZ media fume over French RWC 'insult' - Yahoo! New Zealand Sport

France choosing the easy way out...

My laugh will be - France makes the finals - so does NZ - and NZ beats France 29 - 9 just like in 1987!

Or... Even better - England knocks France out in the Quarter Finals - this is the most likely and hopeful scenario!

Then Ireland knocks England out at the Semi Finals and it's a NZ v Ireland final and everyone in NZ won't mind who wins!!!

Last edited:
You're giving me a headache Slim :)..................ENGLAND V ALL BLACKS FINAL ;):lol:

This is the weekend I've been waiting for (in the pool matches).

England v Romania - will England be in the + 60 club with South Africa, Australia and NZ?

New Zealand v France - NZ needs to humiliate France because France don't want to win! If France win tonight, they might face the likes of Australia or even worse, South Africa... But if France lose they would face the likes of England and maybe Wales or Ireland. But I think France will suffer two humiliations in this world cup... Tonight against the All Blacks (49 - 10 my prediction) and then again in the second round against England.

Then on Sunday... Fiji v Samoa - Samoa will clean up!

Ireland will cement their top spot in their pool when they thrash Russia...

But the big one... The winner of Scotland v Argentina will be the one that most likely goes on to face the All Blacks in round two... I will be watching that game with all eagerness!

Go the ALL BLACKS!!!

Thanks very much again for your excellent analysis Slim (in particular this one), as I couldn't get my head around the wallaby situation after our shock loss.

I'm curious as to why the Kiwis are O.K with Irish champions in this tournament.
Are the Irish very popular in N.Z for some reason?
But if the Italians beat the Irish and secure another bonus point, that could send the Wallabies home from Pool Play - meaning the Wallabies will need to qualify for the next RWC!!!

But that would also rely on Ireland securing more points than Australia... Oh... Pool C is the hardest pool to pick!

If Italy beat Ireland and get the bonus point (and say they beat USA with bonus point) that will put Italy at 15 points.

Then if Australia beat Russia and USA with bonus points - that puts Australia on.... Yep... 15 points.

Then (assuming Ireland lose to Italy as above but still get a bonus point) but beat Russia (and maybe get a bonus point there) that takes them to 14 points... And Ireland go home...

But if Australia does NOT get the 2 bonus points then Australia (mathematically speaking) could be on a sad ride and very early one - going home!

But the way I see it - Australia will most likely come second in the pool and face the South Africans, and Ireland will come first and have to face the Welsh!

Either way - ONE big name is going home in round two...

Just as a side....

New Zealand and France are the ONLY two teams to have a perfect score so far (ie 10 points from two matches) - this weekend - Saturday... France meet New Zealand and will determine the pool standings....

If France beat NZ - it would be a bigger upset than the Australians losing to Ireland... But... If the ABs lose on Saturday, watch out Lee - the ABs will take England down and out in the second round....

I just feel for Argentina (assuming they make it - we'll find out this weekend in their clash with Scotland) - Argentina are unlikely to be able to compete against the All Blacks in round two... So Argentina will be praying for a French victory too... The Argentineans know they can beat France on the big stage!

Oh... I should be a rugby commentator!

- - - EXTRA - - -

NZ media fume over French RWC 'insult' - Yahoo! New Zealand Sport

France choosing the easy way out...

My laugh will be - France makes the finals - so does NZ - and NZ beats France 29 - 9 just like in 1987!

Or... Even better - England knocks France out in the Quarter Finals - this is the most likely and hopeful scenario!

Then Ireland knocks England out at the Semi Finals and it's a NZ v Ireland final and everyone in NZ won't mind who wins!!!

Thanks very much again for your excellent analysis Slim (in particular this one), as I couldn't get my head around the wallaby situation after our shock loss.

I'm curious as to why the Kiwis are O.K with Irish champions in this tournament.
Are the Irish very popular in N.Z for some reason?

New Zealand has always played as an under dog - we bat well above our average in many sports (eg basketball, 4th in the world in the early 2000s, hockey etc... Even FIFA world cup - the only team to not have a loss) - but for the All Blacks - we assume (neigh - expect) they'll win!

So - we go in battling for the under dog - something that closely resembles us...

Australia - better than NZ in EVERYTHING (except rugby union perhaps) - Aussie - NZ's big brother... Ireland sorted our big (bully) brother out and hence, we love Ireland... NZ is more Scottish than Irish (but also English unfortunately) - but we've always had an affiliation with the Celts... But again, mostly Scotland (I live south of Dunedin, Dunedin is Gaelic for Edinburgh)...

This weekend, it'll be close rivalry between the Scots (the deep south of NZ) and the English (the rest of NZ) - But I think secretly most kiwis will be wanting the Scots to get through, because England is the biggest threat along with South Africa.

I made a mistake in the above commentary - Australia could finish either 1st, 2nd or 3rd in their pool (unlikely third of course because Italy have to win by enormous amounts over Ireland) - but no matter where Australia finish - so long in the top three, they'll not need to qualify for the next tournament in 2015.

I think most NZers (and I am speaking on behalf of 4 million people here) would obviously want to see the All Blacks secure their second world cup... But... Failing that... They would NOT like to see Australia, South Africa or England winning... But an under dog team - just like the kiwis... Ireland, Scotland, Wales... (not France). Even Argentina would be a glorious finish... But of course... There isn't a kiwi in this world that wouldn't want to see Richie McCaw with his paws around good ol' Bill...

This weeks games so far have proven less than exciting - Italy edging over the States... Georgia rough but beating Romania... Canada and Japan draw for the SECOND time in a RWC (both teams sporting kiwi coaches).

But one thing I have been impressed with is the English TV (ITV) commentary following the Scots... They have all their hope riding on the backs of the Scots to beat England this weekend - this is the ONE game I MUST SEE!!!

Well - The weekend - can I put the predictions out here?

South Africa by at least 20 over Samoa (to see RSA finish top of their pool)

Australia by 60 (at least) over Russia (Aussie will finish second in their pool)

France by 30 (at least) over Tonga (France will finish second in their pool)

Scotland by 3... (BIG CALL) over England... But it won't be enough to see the English going home early... As England will get the bonus point. England will finish 1st, Scotland, unfortunately 3rd for the first time ever!

Argentina by 45 over Georgia and bonus point to finish second in their pool and face the All Blacks in the quarters...

New Zealand by 50+ over Canada for NZ to finish on a perfect 20 points and top their pool - NZ has NEVER lost a pool game in all 6 RWCs!

Wales by 30 over Fiji to finish second in their pool.

And the final game...

Ireland by 20 over Italy, Ireland will remain unbeaten in their pool....

Anyone beg to differ (go on Lee, tell me England can beat Scotland by scoring tries.....)?

Completely agree with everything, apart from .............................................you are having a giggle of course!!!!!

England will batter the Sweatie's by 20...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back