Rules for Rugby World Cup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree with everything, apart from .............................................you are having a giggle of course!!!!!

England will batter the Sweatie's by 20...:)

Passion v Skills...

You fink i'm havin a laff do ya?

I guess only time will tell... Still, my outcome suggests England go through to round two though.... I could have more schnitz and giggles at the rose's expense :)

Two DAYS!!!

--- Something NEW to hand ---

I discovered something very cool while watching the Romania and Georgia game...

Using the streams from: http://forum.wiziwig.eu/forums/40-Rugby

I could access the stream on my PS3 (only a couple of streams, because adverts made it impossible to watch) and therefore could watch on the big screen! Wasn't perfect I admit... But I'm certainly not complaining...

Last edited:
* * * The Quarter Finals * * *

So - no surprises here then - shame about my Scottish prediction though - it was close for 79 minutes!

But the Scottish newspapers made it pretty clear - No Tries... No Finals...

Australia easily the second best team in their pool... Ireland using that boring style of rugby that just won't work against Wales or England (because England invented that style). And of course South Africa, lucky to get through on top... But now they meet their arch enemy...

And the All Blacks... At their choking stage...

Four Northern Hemisphere teams vs Four Southern Hemisphere teams...

With at least 2 from each being evicted!

QF1 Ireland v Wales

Who knows - who cares? None will make the finals (hahaha)... If Ireland made the finals it would be an amazing feat... But I think they're nearing their used by date and Wales won't go politely either... At least one of these teams will be playing for third and fourth :)

QF2 England v France

Who would back the French after their appalling display against Tonga! Tonga did themselves proud, but France... Are they really a top 5 side? England will demolish France in the usual boring fashion. But Johnny better be better with his boots, Eden park hasn't been kind to him before!

QF3 South Africa v Australia

Australia have met South Africa almost 70 times... And South Africa have the better record with Australia only winning 36% of the time!
My money is on South Africa. But you can't write off a rampant Wallabies side... Defence will let them down, attack will prove they're superior in the backs... I'm sorry... I just can't see Australia getting up here... But, it's too close to call!!!

QF4 New Zealand v Argentina

NZ has NEVER choked against Argentina, but Argentina is no unworthy foe.... Entering the Four Nations next year, they'll be lifting their game and soon... They'll nudge the northern side(s) out of the top 4... But not this year... Argentina must already be feeling it - they're going home....

Any other predictions?

(would love Wales to go onto win the whole tournament as I picked them in my RWC draw!

Wales

Thanks again for your comprehensive analysis Slim. I never thought that I would get the best updates and projections for the rugby world cup on APS!
The Aussies are taking the hard road to the finals, having to defeat the Springboks and then the All Blacks on the way, where England will be waiting for them. I'd love to see us defeat our Tasman brothers but one game at a time. We have to deal with the boks first.

Well played, the Taffie's and the Frogs......

It appears I was wrong - the poor old POMEs - they go home empty handed... I could be wrong for the third and fourth spot to... Maybe Wales make the finals???

C'mon All Blacks...

SEMIS!

Well done Australia - The biggest test next week - we should just call this game the 'final'

NZ was always going to meet South Africa... but Australia dealt that idea a savage blow!

So... Wales to beat France (hopefully - because...)

Australia will lose to New Zealand...

This will see the two BIGGEST Rugby nations in the world (Wales and NZ) meeting in a final...

OR....

NZ vs France...

Check this out:

In 1987 Australia played Wales for third and fourth (with Wales taking it out)

and... Get this...

NZ played France in the finals (with NZ winning that one).

It is totally possible that EXACTLY the same 3rd and 4th places occurs!!!

By the way, the third/fourth place that Wales won... was 22 - 21 (amazing game - better than the final).

1987 is repeating itself...

Last edited:
Aus/SA game.Best springbok on the field without doubt was Quade Cooper.We were extremely lucky to get away with a win.

Aus/SA game.Best springbok on the field without doubt was Quade Cooper.We were extremely lucky to get away with a win.

He's also a great kiwi too :) This weekend we'll see how good of a kiwi he is ;)

He's also a great kiwi too :) This weekend we'll see how good of a kiwi he is ;)

On his last few performances he should be dropped,if the last game doesn't get him dropped nothing will!

Wow! What a weekend of rugby! Superb performances mixed with deep disappointment!

Saturday's quarter finals were both first rate games and a pleasure to watch. Wales and France both had excellent matches and were deserving winners. Le frogs played one of their freakishly good games (that they are capable of) to produce another upset. I reckon that the cross-channel rivalry that they have with England brings out their best.

By contrast Sunday's QF's weren't that enjoyable to watch. The Wallabies v's Bok's game was quite stressful and almost painful to watch. I agree with Ramsayi that Quade's performance was a shocker! ...to the point where you wonder if he'd been paid a handsome sum to spoil things for the Wallabies. I'm sure that wouldn't actually be the case but you'd be forgiven for thinking it, as he almost single-handedly ruined our chances. The Springboks were fiercely competitive though and put so much pressure on us that we couldn't get quick free-flowing ball.
The same thing happened to the All Blacks for the first 60 minutes, except they didn't have an enemy within like Quade seemed to be. The New Zealanders should love the guy now, especially if he has another bad day at the office next week. We can't beat the All Blacks if Quade doesn't have a brilliant game, if indeed he's given another chance (which he probably will, as we really do need him to beat the Kiwis). But he must be on song, otherwise, I agree that he should be taken off the paddock.

Last edited:
On his last few performances he should be dropped,if the last game doesn't get him dropped nothing will!
Maybe they will assume he put his one **** game behind him for the comp and keep him :p

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but who were the favourites to be in the final? Looking at the fixture it seems like the semi next week between Aus and NZ should have been the final (even if SA had beaten us). So why wasn't the competition geared to getting those teams into the final? Or was it supposed to be England vs NZ?

Maybe they will assume he put his one **** game behind him for the comp and keep him :p

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but who were the favourites to be in the final? Looking at the fixture it seems like the semi next week between Aus and NZ should have been the final (even if SA had beaten us). So why wasn't the competition geared to getting those teams into the final? Or was it supposed to be England vs NZ?

As far as I am aware, it's just a pot of countries, first and second tier.

The first tier countries (the 8 quarter finalists and third place getters in pool play from the previous RWC) occupy the first 8 and following 4 spots respectively (random selection) with the host being the top spot of Pool A.

The second tier countries play off for their rights to fill the remaining 8 spots.

Therefore, in this RWC the favourites would have been Australia and NZ to be in the finals... But because Australia lost to Ireland in pool play, that dream is shattered.

Then as soon as Australia lost, England was the next favourite... (because the Boks had to meet NZ to get to the finals - also shattered).

Now, it appears Wales have talked themselves up to the top spot - Wales Online seems to only talk of RWC success!!!

Australia will have to really have their game on if they want to beat the All Blacks at Eden Park - it's a tough encounter, it will be grizzly, but who ever wins should be the victor of the final (that's my prediction and I'm sticking to it).

The remain

...Now, it appears Wales have talked themselves up to the top spot - Wales Online seems to only talk of RWC success!!!

Australia will have to really have their game on if they want to beat the All Blacks at Eden Park - it's a tough encounter, it will be grizzly, but who ever wins should be the victor of the final (that's my prediction and I'm sticking to it).
Wales do look good and play a tight game but overconfidence can be a team's downfall. Even if the overconfidence is not coming from the team (which it probably isn't), it can put unnecessary pressure on a team to their detriment.
I agree with your prediction that the winner of the trans-Tasman clash will be the likely champions, although it's dangerous to under-estimate the French, as we've seen. They must fancy their chances.
Likewise, the Welsh shouldn't be taken lightly, however to win this world cup I think that lethal back-line attacks will be necessary. Securing possession through set pieces will be critical to getting the quick ball that is going to be required to win this world cup.
May the best team win!

Last edited:
Four teams left...Three of those teams coached by kiwis...

I'm a pure born kiwi - and I admit, we put so much pressure on our team... As a nation we really feel it when they fail, we are lifted with victory (like I've never seen before - my most memorable was the 1995 America's Cup victory, hopefully 2011, October 23, will see celebrations like this again).

I am actually nervous (for a number of reasons this weekend - some of which involve a female but also the All Blacks game... Why do I do it to myself? I could have waited for the female part!!). If by some disasdter, Australia go through to the finals, then I hope tonight sees Wales also entering that fight!

Go WALES!

Go THE ALL BLACKS!

Did you also know that three of the four remaining teams have kiwis as coaches?

I will be unavailable from 8:30pm (NZDST) on the 16th of October (indefinitely depending on the outcome)...

dragons v wallabies

So long the Dragons are the winners I'd be ok with that... But I somehow think that the Wallabies (with Cooper) will not surpass the All Blacks even without Dan Carter - he may be the general, but so was Andrew Mehrtens in 1995, and we didn't win then either!

I am completely satisfied that the All Blacks will be good enough on Sunday night to beat the Wallabies. However, I am very nervous never-the-less as this is the biggest test in the last 24 years!

I thaught with Mehrtens kicking, the Blacks were unbeatable, but it was not 2 b....i still remember what he said after the game........................" We just did not turn up at the office to-day "........was it really as long ago as 1995 ???????????

I thaught with Mehrtens kicking, the Blacks were unbeatable, but it was not 2 b....i still remember what he said after the game........................" We just did not turn up at the office to-day "........was it really as long ago as 1995 ???????????

It really was 95 :)

And at least half of the team shouldn't have turned up to the office that day - they were as sick as dogs (that were actually sick, not happy yappy dogs... but sick ones).

Slim, the Blacks will choke, and Wales have been excellent.....60's and 70's revisited......go the taffie red dragons...:)

Heartbreak for the Welsh. They deserved to win. The French were lucky to get through.

I can't wait for tomorrow afternoon's trans-Tasman double! Australia v's New Zealand in both codes! I can't ever remember when both union and league played test matches on the same day, let alone back to back. 8)
I don't usually watch league but it'll be a great double act with the rugby.:D

Last edited:
French rarely play 2 bad games in a row
But Aus or NZ will easily beat them if they play the style they did today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back