SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just to annoy you all....we went there a while ago and i got shots of both a fierce snake and a taipan (not really up on my vens so i didn't write down if it was coastal or inland :? ). one would assume if a fierce snake = inland taipan then the one i labelled "taipan" in a different cage must have been a coastal. this was a while ago so enclosures may have changed but here's my pic of the fierce snake...

and here's the taipan...looks kinda dopey in that pic huh lol

Slightly off topic now. I saw a reptile display by a bloke named Mark who displayed at a school I was working at. During his display he was talking about venomous species when the name "Fierce Snake" came up. He made what I thought was a good point about NOT calling it the "Fierce" snake because that gives the impression to the general public that it is a "man-hunter" and that's giving off the complete opposite image of these animals that we want for them.

Just want to get everyone's thoughts on the matter. Who thinks the benefits of calling it the "Inland Taipan" would have any sort of effect in the long run? I know that Taronga Zoo (and I think ARP) have "Fierce Snake" on the placard above their enclosures. Bob, what terminology do you use in your talks, and do you think it's worthwhile NOT calling it the Fierce Snake to the general public?

Simon Archibald

Mate, it doesn't matter what you call it, it is still the most venemous snake in the world and needs to be treated with respect.

Greebs,
That's the other side of the coin is that giving it the image of a fierce animal may make people leave it alone. That's why I wanted peoples' thoughts on it.

Simon Archibald

Simon, I understand what Mark Dorse was saying about giving the wrong idea to people regarding this snakes attitude. But I always call them Fierce snakes.

When doing my shows I do tell the audience that they are known by 4 common name. Fierce Snake, Inland Taipan, Western Taipan and Small Scaled Snake, But I prefer to call them Fierce Snakes. I tell them I hate the names Inland and Western Taipans because it definately misleads the public . The term Western Taipan gives the public the impression that they are found in Western Australia. The term Inland Taipan is more acurate in its location, but still again misleads the public by thinking its the common Taipan which now lives in the middle of Australia. By simply calling it the fierce snake the public can easily grasp the idea that it is a completely different snake then the Taipan.

You have exactly the same confusion with Brown Snakes and King Brown Snakes. When ever any of the public see a large Eastern Brown they always tell you it must have been a King Brown. Why, easy, it sounds 1000 times more dangerous than a common Brown,. This is why so many people now call King Browns, Mulga Snakes. If they had been called that from the start there never would have been this great confussion

Thanks Bob, I assumed you would have known the Mark I was talking about too. He had only recently been out of hospital after a healthy stint in intensive care. All thanks to a great big bite from his Fierce snake.

Simon Archibald

Simon has a point, it is a "Show business" name. Perhaps it should be called Naturalist snake, as that is the only type of people it is known to bite :)

The only wild fierce snake I've seen ran(?) away from me at an incredible pace.

Hehe Fuscy. That's an awesome name. LOL. And yes I agree it's a "Showbiz" name but I think if Bob explains it how he does and educates people to know which species is meant by the name, it's OK.

Simon Archibald

Just reading up on the snake. Records exist of it being found at the Murray/Darling Junction. now presumed extinct in NSW ( ?? the one I saw was about 100k north of the NSW/QLD border.) Isolated population at Cooper Pedy , goes glossy black in winter. Micro habitat is cracking plains. Interesting snake, but a little too hot for this baby to play with.

I completely agree with Bob. Fierce snake. Takes confusion out from people who are not superexperts.

No because then all the illiterate people who thought it was a Deaf Adder would be calling it the Hearing-Impaired Adder.

Simon Archibald

The guy at the Australian Reptile Centre (in Canberra), Ross Bennett I think his name is, does not like the name Jungle Pythons.
He prefers to call them Rainforest Pythons.I asked him why and he said it was because there are no jungles in Australia.
What about Tiger snakes? I asked him, We don't have any Tigers in Australia either.
There is a sign above the jungle python calling it a Rainforest Python but I don't thnk it is right to try and change the common name of a species simply because you don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back