Scared Snake Owner :) help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

87batesy

Reaction score
Port Pirie, South Australia, Australia, Australia
So i just got my 2 year old jungle python (girl) , first thing i did was replaced everything in her home after moving her (included in purchase) and for the next 24hrs after that she coiled herself around the cord of her heat lamp/light (gotta glue that in place ASAP) so i turned off her lamp/light and gently moved her tail and she hissed like crazy so i left her to climb down by herself. After watching her a while i opened the door but ever time i thought of grabing her out she bent up almost as if getting ready to strike. She is due for a feed so im putting it down to that, i spent plenty of time with her at the previous owner house (i only got her out myself once) and never had a problem with never did the several other people that held her (including his two year old daughter).

What do you think? should i feed her then get her out a couple of days later? or is she just nervious and will need a while to settle in?

if you have completely changed everything in the snakes enclosure it needs time to settle in...their senses are very different to ours and it takes them time to get used to change.

Be careful what glue you use to secure the lamp cord.....there are flex clips you can get to do that.....which would better than glue...as fumes etc from the glue might hurt your snake...and whatever you do dont use sticky tape !!

haha sticky tap dont worry mate i wont use any ill just use duck tap (Just Joking) Clips sound the way too go!

Thanks for the advice people i defently wont handle her at least for a week, i was scared if i didnt handle her soon she would become used to not being handled!

Currently she only has a heat light/lamp that i leave on during the day, should i put in a red light for night? or get a heat mat/rock/rope??????????

She means that jungles are known for being snappy as youngsters so you might want to get used to it

Pfft... I have a room full of jungles and their all placid

I didn't say they stay that way. Mine is great now it just took some patience and getting over the fear of being bitten. By the way nice avatar D3

She is placid normally the owner feed her by hand (which i have learned is a huge no no) during his attempt to entice her out of her hollow log he had to stick his hand into the viv the move her tail and she didnt strike at him.

i seen his two year old daughter kiss it as well!

doesnt seem like too much of a snappy snake to me?

If she's known as being placid it might just take her a while to get used to her new home, she should settle down, just give her some time :)

Try to leave her be for a couple of days after a feed to let her digest!

Pfft... I have a room full of jungles and their all placid

Your Lucky !
Do you handle them often ?? Are they fed in enclosures or tubs ????

She is placid normally the owner feed her by hand (which i have learned is a huge no no) during his attempt to entice her out of her hollow log he had to stick his hand into the viv the move her tail and she didnt strike at him.

Shes probably just stressed and needs to settle in then ....

Wow,jungles sure do have a bad rep for being snappy.sookie la-la is called that cos she is a bigger sook than my dog.feeding time she is a lady..no hissing or violent striking,when she sheds she will do anything to get under my clothes and have a good rub,and so long as i wake her up first i can grab her out anytime.
Keep at it cos i think they are wonderful snakes.

Your Lucky !
Do you handle them often ?? Are they fed in enclosures or tubs ????

Shes probably just stressed and needs to settle in then ....

torah, perhaps i should have read this before saying yes to my jungles hey? lol

My yearling Jungle was the same.. She seemed quite docile when the breeder showed her to me. It took a couple of weeks for her to settle in, during which she was extremely snappy (headbutting the glass if anyone walked past). As others have said, give it a couple of weeks to settle.

In addition, I was extremely scared when I got my Jungle. I didn't even know if I would keep her. After a while of being quite scared to handle her, I eventually caved and just dove right in. I found (with my Jungle at least), you have to let them know who's boss. Otherwise, they'll pick up on the fear and snap at you.

Now, mine is a bit cage defensive (especially at night) but I'm able to get her out pretty easily. She's mostly just a drama queen and will act a bit flighty by flicking her head around and maybe hissing a little. Once out, I'm quite happy to let her climb all over me, come up to my face, etc.

The key is perseverance.. Having said that, from what others have said, some Jungles just refuse to settle.

My yearling Jungle was the same.. She seemed quite docile when the breeder showed her to me. It took a couple of weeks for her to settle in, during which she was extremely snappy (headbutting the glass if anyone walked past). As others have said, give it a couple of weeks to settle.

In addition, I was extremely scared when I got my Jungle. I didn't even know if I would keep her. After a while of being quite scared to handle her, I eventually caved and just dove right in. I found (with my Jungle at least), you have to let them know who's boss. Otherwise, they'll pick up on the fear and snap at you.

Now, mine is a bit cage defensive (especially at night) but I'm able to get her out pretty easily. She's mostly just a drama queen and will act a bit flighty by flicking her head around and maybe hissing a little. Once out, I'm quite happy to let her climb all over me, come up to my face, etc.

The key is perseverance.. Having said that, from what others have said, some Jungles just refuse to settle.

i am glad to hear that! i just told my friend that id buy his 2 jungles off him. they are 3 yrs old and have been handled in the past but not "in a while" (i dont know how long that is! i can honestly say that i am a bit terrified as these guys will be my first snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back