School Assignment..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Belle~Belinda said:
give the person who thought up such a ridiculous hypothetical question a kick up the bum!

YOUR A LEGEND WATTSO! I cant wait to give my brother a kick in the rear :p :D .

...Backfired eh wattso? :D

who is teaching who

Lunar_Psycho said:
Muhahahahahahahaha./quote]

Is that the name of the religion teacher? Or the god they prey to?

Is there anyone on aps who hasnt had a relative die of or dying from cancer???? must be more prevalent than we think. btw, im not being sarcastic here, my neice is 21 and dying from accute myloid leukemia, 2 years of chemo have done stuff all for her likewise the "wonder drugs". my father died of liver cancer[1973] which spread through his stomach after a surgical "look see", they just sewed him straight up again, died 6 weeks later at bankstown hospital. I beleive a cure for cancer would be fatal to the research industry, hence many many years research, billions of dollars,and no cure. Sad but true. :cry:

marc said:
but it keeps the population down, we would be in a lot more trouble if we cured everything.

Having read through all the posts on this topic I was surprised to see that the above little "gem" was let go so easily.
Don't find cures for disease so it keeps the population in check. How absurd.

How else then do you propose to keep the ever growing human population in check Farkernall? legislation like china? at some point, maybe in our life time or our kids, our population will outstrip food supplies and space to live. Will you still think human population growth should never be limited in any way when were all living in a space 3 ft square and starving? I think all he was saying was that disease is a natural population control, wipe out all disease and make us live for 200 years and were screwed. Fortunatly we humans have invented war, another effective population control. Too many of us [humans] not enough of them [non humans] I think, try living in high density japan for a while. :D

wattso said:
How else then do you propose to keep the ever growing human population in check Farkernall? legislation like china? at some point, maybe in our life time or our kids, our population will outstrip food supplies and space to live. Will you still think human population growth should never be limited in any way when were all living in a space 3 ft square and starving? I think all he was saying was that disease is a natural population control, wipe out all disease and make us live for 200 years and were screwed. Fortunatly we humans have invented war, another effective population control. Too many of us [humans] not enough of them [non humans] I think, try living in high density japan for a while. :D

Yes I can agree with the Japan comment. People live in very small apartments, with few having houses (luckily I got to stay in a house over here). Everything is expensive and the schools are overcrowded with a large unemployment rate (something like 10-15%). Well this time tomorrow I should be in Oz again, so all is good (well for me at least).

Cheers, JAy

I am going to regret wading into this.

First of all, Bels question is only semi-hypothetical, standard drug testing uses a control group, who have the potentially life-saving drug withheld. Drug companies often run field tests in third-world countries and sometimes leave without offering follow-up care to the control group. Not good.

The traditional method of population control is war/feuding. This is still being practiced around the world. A better, more humane method is to make everyone well off and educated. Rich developed countries have stable or declining populations, including Japan. Of course making people rich causes other problems.

Religions main purpose used to be to keep the peasants under control (when we eventually have smart androids expect the "belief" chip and the concept of silicone heaven). Now it seems to function as an excuse to be crappy to each other.

Ok...Lets get some things straight.
I had no idea what we were supposed to do for the assignment. None of us got it, but My older brother had done it in year 8 or something ( graduated this year) and said I could use the question that he did.. And the teacher he had ( wierder then mine) said it had to be about how we interefere with the natural world. It was the same for us.

Yup I hated religion class in Primary School. I took great joy in questioning the so called "Good Book" and confused many a religion teacher.
Ive been asked these sort of questions before. The purpose is to see how your belief system works. In religion class its asking you whether you would play god. By curing a widespread disease you are destroying a significant element of the natural world, and by taking the lives of the children you are also justifying the lives of one group of people over another. A "supposed" concept of catholicism is that everyone is created equal and no matter what the reason, you cannot justify the killing of one to save another. This is however bulls$%& considering the current church stance on many issues.
If this IS for a religious class than your answer would be "No, killing someone is not right no matter what the reason is, and we cannot attempt to alter god`s great plan" *hurles*
Its what the religious peeps like to hear, believe me. I have religious relatives and I can religiously bulls$%& my way out of anything.

That sounds just about it..Before school was out we had been learning about that crap for about a term. And I wish I had never asked this question. Some of you are going on like you are the only ones who have lost loved ones to the awful disease! My Grandpa died of Bowel Cancer, my Grandma is dying of it, and my Nanna had breast cancer and we almost lost her!
Anyway, Lunar Physco's theory sounds like the purpose of why the hell we had to do this...

Well I wanted to do at least some of it...Using the question was enough for me...Besides, things have changed alot since 4-5 years ago :)

wattso said:

There is absolutely no justification to any statement saying that cures for disease shouldn't be discovered so that it will keep the population down. It's absolutely ludicrous. Why do we have Hospitals then? Why don't we just let the sick and injured die so they don't take up room on the planet. It's a ridiculous notion.

Farkurnell beat me to it, I was going to say the same thing. And as to Wattso's comment about China's method of restricting birth rates, it's my understanding that you are free to have as many kids as you like in China but will not be given welfare if you choose to.In other words only the wealthy can have many children which Fuscus rightly pointed out they tend not to do. Something religous third world idiots would do us all a favour in practicing, if you cant feed your kids dont have them.

Man is obviously hoping to live longer with a better quality of life, the only way is through curing diseases to extend life and the price is having less children.

And how do you propose China should rule a country of one billion? Free welfare for all and encourage traditional practices of having 10 or so kids per familly. Desperate times call for desperate measures, though I agree it is most likely China has been run in an inhumane way, but do you also know what British rule did to them? Or the Russians? Or the Japanese?

I didnt say I didnt agree the one child law, I was just asking, [on a global scale] how he proposed to keep population under control once we cure every disease known and we all live for 150/200 years? [apart from nuclear war] :D even with a global one child law, population has to level out at a level we can accommodate feed wise.

but do you also know what British rule did to them? Or the Russians? Or the Japanese?

or what they did to the tibetans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back