Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm interested in getting a scrub python. I've been searching online (and these forums) for a while and haven't much luck finding care sheets/information on owning one.
Does anyone know of a good website or thread with some useful information?

If you need info from here on Scrubbies, you're obviously a reptile keeping novice. Not a beginner species...

Jamie.

Thats pretty blunt Jamie! Let the poor fella loose a few litre's of blood!

Hey guys I'm interested in getting a scrub python. I've been searching online (and these forums) for a while and haven't much luck finding care sheets/information on owning one.
Does anyone know of a good website or thread with some useful information?

Most are Big angry powerful snakes.You would be better off making friends with some people who keep them before you buy one or read "facts" off the net.

Last edited:
I've got a mate who got a scrubby as his first snake, had no problems at all with it. I mean the thing wasn't born 10 feet long, like mostsnakes it was born, well hatchling size! By the time it was big he'd had plenty of experience. Infact he loved it so much he had to get another one. Perhaps he doesn't mind losing blood? Some guys don't mind a bit of blood loss, it's not that big of a deal...

If you do get one, just dont have the enclosure on your carpet cause they like to piss and crap all over you when you get them out.

My mate had one, and wrecked this white carpet hahaha

Ha! Yes, blunt, but sensible advice nonetheless! He/she might be lucky to snag a quiet one, but if you get a 'normal' scrubbie, it can easily grow to 2m+ in 18 months, the size combined with an explosive personality makes some of them a real challenge, even for experienced keepers. I have 2 x 2yo animals here, both like hand grenades with eyes... I've been keeping for decades, and had scrubbies from time to time in the past. I like them, but they don't like me, their behaviour is spectacular to say the least.

A 4-5m scrubbie is potentially quite dangerous, especially for a novice, and even a juvie can be a handful...

Jamie.

---------- Post added 11-Jan-11 at 11:58 AM ----------

If you do get one, just dont have the enclosure on your carpet cause they like to piss and crap all over you when you get them out.

My mate had one, and wrecked this white carpet hahaha

Yes... that's the other thing about them lol.

Anyone who casually encourages a novice to get a scrubbie, without knowing the aptitude of the new keeper, is not considering the consequences of their advice. From my experience, losing blood to a scrub python is quite a different story to a bite from a carpet python...

Jamie.

You are right mate! Even without the attitude one still has to clean up after them! Shovel anyone? (for the poop) :)

Thanks for the constructive tips. I wouldn't call myself a novice herp owner but I have only ever had class 1 species. I know they get big I just wanted info on how and why they are considered difficult to look after. That's why I asked for help finding information.
I'm guessing they have different needs to my current breeds or they wouldn't be class 2.
I didn't know they could be so aggressive though so thanks for that

They are fast growing, get very large very quickly, they are watchful and can be VERY defensive, which is why they are not a popular snake. They are long and lean, with good eyesight and a very light forebody which allows them to strike a long distance. Their needs aren't especially different to those of other species, but you'll need to organise the enclosure to make it safe for you to access and maintain - I haven't yet done that with my 2 young animals, and even changing their water requires special care, because they never stop watching what you are doing.

You might be lucky and get a good, relatively quiet one, but the chances are that you'll get a real handful. OK, so that sounds pretty negative, probably all I should suggest is that you speak to as many people who have them as you can, and think long and hard about whether you are ready for a snake like that. As I said, I like them, but they are not a good option as a 'pet' snake.

Jamie

Ok thank you for the info. I guess I'll have to keep looking for ideas my next new addition.

Ha! Yes, blunt, but sensible advice nonetheless! He/she might be lucky to snag a quiet one, but if you get a 'normal' scrubbie, it can easily grow to 2m+ in 18 months, the size combined with an explosive personality makes some of them a real challenge, even for experienced keepers. I have 2 x 2yo animals here, both like hand grenades with eyes... I've been keeping for decades, and had scrubbies from time to time in the past. I like them, but they don't like me, their behaviour is spectacular to say the least.

A 4-5m scrubbie is potentially quite dangerous, especially for a novice, and even a juvie can be a handful...

Jamie.

---------- Post added 11-Jan-11 at 11:58 AM ----------

Yes... that's the other thing about them lol.

Anyone who casually encourages a novice to get a scrubbie, without knowing the aptitude of the new keeper, is not considering the consequences of their advice. From my experience, losing blood to a scrub python is quite a different story to a bite from a carpet python...

Jamie.

but correct scrubbies are more unpredictable/predicatable with thier aditude they either hate you or are going to hate you. they have big teeth and thier bites in my opinion hurt more then any other python

I love the bigger species of pythons,and ive keeped nearly every sub-species of Morelia,and i own Aspidities now(Womas-BHPs).Ive owned snakes for quiet a while,but i wouldnt own a scrubby for a number of reasons.(1)-once there grown to adult,i dont have the adequate space to house a large enclosure(2)-90-95% are aggressive (3)you need 2(3) people on stand by incase it wraps around you and you need to uncoil it..(4)Dont have excess to rabbits to feed it.(5).It doesnt matter if ur owned reptiles for years,these things are-can be quiet dangerous...

IMAG0161 (Small).jpgIMAG0158 (Small).jpgIMAG0160 (Small).jpgIMAG0165 (Small).jpgIMAG0162 (Small).jpg

This was a quick love bite from my Scrub .You learn to get used to losing blood with these snakes but they are an unreal snake to own .The most predictable thing about a Scrub is they are un-predictable LOL .The pic shows top teeth went into the knuckle and the bottom went into the side of the wrist .

Haha, yeah, I've always wanted one too- but I've always been hesitant at making a commitment...
Who knows, I may in a few years. :)

I dont keep them because i know that i probably wouldnt bother having people around to pull it off every time i needed to be at risk of being constricted, the puncture wounds from a bite are bad enough, constriction from a large one is extremely dangerous and has caused death.

I think most of the time they would be very easy to keep, its just if you need to handle them (which is something any snake may require) that the potential problems arise.

can anyone enlighten on why they are so aggresive its understandable with a smaller jungle or carpet but surely a full grown scrubbie would be top of the food chain in their environment, Most big carpets and olives get placid with age and size so why not scrubbies?

Funny how they're on a basic licence in Vic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back