Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nell70

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone out there is having similar issues with there pet?

I have a 4 year old Murray Darling Carpet Python who hasn't eaten in about 8 weeks, (not through lack of us offering).

We live in Melbourne and his cupboard is plenty warm enough, he is active and hunting for something to eat, but every time we offer him something, he turns his nose up at it.

He normally eats about every 2 weeks or so, unless he is shedding. In which case he will wait until about a week after has shed. Last time he ate was about 2 weeks before he shed and hasn't eaten since. That was about 6 weeks ago.

Things I have tried:

* Changing food suppliers
* Changing thawing techniques
* Offering smaller rats
* Increasing temperature slightly

I am running out of ideas and am now getting a little concerned. Does anyone have any advice???

Thanks in advance

It's winter has most likely just gone off it's food most likely nothing to worry about and perefectly normal :)

My stimmi went off eating for almost 10 weeks then ate 2 mice a couple of weeks ago and now has stopped eating again. The temps have been the same the whole time... quiet confusing?

ours did the same thing our maculosa and we kept offering and then all of a sudden he fed after 8 weeks so i wouldn't start to worry yet

i would imagine the animals will sense more than just heat to detemine their winter eg- the period of time that natural light enters the enclosure etc.

i would not worry, i have had animals go off their food for semi-extended periods of time, and after a time they resume eating again as normal.

another thing to remember is that they can go for quite long periods of time between feeds. My breeders don't feed for 4 months over the winter.

wild animals don't get fed every week :D

:lol:

Wow, he's never had the luxury of a female companion. I wonder if he would like a girlfriend.

At what point should I start to worry about him not eating?

Up until now he has been the perfect pet and has never caused me concern. He has been the perfect handler and the perfect eater and just out and out the perfect gentleman.

Now I seem to be wasting a lot of rats that he isn't eating, and at about $12 per full grown rat that's starting to add up. I've never had to throw out rats.

Are there any prefered food suppliers in the Melbourne, Greensborough area that anyone can recommend?

If he is 4 years old, you should be letting him brumate and not feeding him at all. Keeping your adult snake warm during winter is not natural and could be harmful to your snake in the long run. Nature knows best.

Sounds to me like hes become sexually mature and wants a bit, alot of males will not eat when they are chaseing females,they tend to have other things on there mind. If you have any female pythons that are in season, doesnt matter what speices, the pheromnes it releases will make most males do this. Some will feed at this time others will not.
Rob

Greebo said:
If he is 4 years old, you should be letting him brumate and not feeding him at all. Keeping your adult snake warm during winter is not natural and could be harmful to your snake in the long run. Nature knows best.
Yeh,greebs has got it right as he lives in disribution of metclfei and he would also testify to how cold it gets in winter,there is areas that you get murrays that have received snow in NSW .Also we are getting to the time that he might like the jiggy jig pushpush,if he doesnt eat for six months and he was in good condition to start with it will do no harm,a friend of mine never feeds his male met,male bhp or water python over winter. :D

So, should I just turn off all heat sources and ensure that he has a nice comfy hidey hole and let him go to sleep for a couple of months?

Then when the weather starts to arc up, start to increase his heat again?

He also is an only child, so he doesn't have any play mate snakes, I would have to put a call out to the rest of the local herp world to find him a girl friend.

re Self

Leave the snake as it is temperature wise nell and dont panic about feeding as it doesnt hurt them at all to go without even for months if they are in reasonable condition.Please dont panic as your snakes behaviour seems normal and dont fluctuate its heating up or down just leave it at what you had and buy a cat like my daughter has cause it loves affection and eats regular like pig. :D

Like this nell,it loves birds too thats why i feed the thing it belonged to people over the road which dont care for it ,yep they eat good all the time 8)

re Self

diamond_python said:
and at about $12 per full grown rat

That sounds quite expensive to me. Correct me if I am wrong.
Diamond python the rat either has gold tooth or pedigree its a steep price or humongous rattus. :D

Verrrrry Expensive rats I reckon DP. That shop must make a fortune with rodents at that price eh? The Brissie Coastal Dave and I got from Fuscus 2 months ago still hasn't eaten. Not even remotely interested yet. Still keeping at winter temps in the enclosure. Once the weather warms up again will have another go. He seems quite healthy and moves around between warm and cool areas in the enclosure, no wukkas. Cheryl

Sounds like regular pet shop price :( (in Bairnsdale anyway). You might be able to do alot better Nell by finding a breeder, even buying some in bulk if you have room in the freezer. If you want to save some money probably leave him for a few more weeks before offering again. As long as he keeps his condition (ei. doesn't get real skinny or baggy skin) he can go without food and like others said that can be some time. One of my Darwins is doing the same at the moment :)

i know what you mean Skorpious i used to get mine from the same place but now i travel to narrie warran to get mine other than that i have 4 breeders in the shed for my smaller pythons.
but the pices down there just match the prices of the pythons. i mean who would buy a 6 month old coastal for $395

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back