Settling RSP in after air freighting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadjockey

Reaction score
My newest addition (RSP) arrives tomorrow afternoon via air freight :p. My other two (a Spotty and a Beardie) were acquired locally so would appreciate some advice on the best way to settle my boy after getting him home? My understanding is he will be bagged inside a travel box when I collect from airport. There is then another good hour drive home. My thinking was to transfer bag to enclosure, unseal bag and after checking all is ok, leave well alone for a few days to settle in. Any advice/tips much appreciated.

When I get my animals shipped I usually give them a 30 min soak to rehydrate them. Then I put them in there enclosure and I usually levee them alone for a week. After that I offer them a feed, then carry on my normal routine.

I have never actually freighted, but I would probably give them a misting to rehydrate, leave them in the the transfer bag and just open it and put them in the enclosure and let them explore then eventually take back the bag and let them settle for at least a week or so.

the best thing to do, is leave it totally alone.
Ive never done the soaking, and never had an issue... after a long flight i wouldn't be doing anything which could cause any further stress on the animal unless absolutely necessary.
Instead i would give the enclosure a good spray before putting them in, instead of a soak. just my opinion.

Thanks for your replies everyone. I know my Spotty was stressed just from moving house recently, so air freighting would no doubt be much more stress inducing for an animal. Will keep you all posted as to how we get on settling in.
Cheers

Air freighting should be no more or less stressing than any other form transport. The snake will be in closed container, and won't know whether it's in a car, your pocket or on a plane.. Just place it in the new enclosure, let it settle for 2-3 days and then see if it's hungry. Don't be surprised if it shows no interest in food for weeks though - RSPs are like that (it does them no harm at all...)

Jamie

I usually untie the bag or take the lid off the tub the animal was shipped in, then I place it in the enclosure, they come out in their own time. Make sure fresh water is available & if they want it it's there.

I wouldn't spray or soak a new arrival personally.

Got him home. Undid the neck of the bag and left him in enclosure (Click Clack). He has come out over night to have a look around and is coiled up in a defensive position on top of hide. We have got the enclosure in a quiet room, away from most traffic and activity (ie kids). Must say he is one very cool looking dude! Was last fed on 18th so will give him a shot at a fuzzy mouse this Sunday. I have seen a few postings that these guys can go off food for a bit.
Again, thanks for all your input :)

Make sure your enclosure is set up. Introduce the snake. It will explore the enclosure, find the heat, the water and the hide. After a few hours it will be comfortable that it has everything it needs and there are no predators. Give it a feed and then leave it for a day or two, to digest it's meal.

This will make the snake confident in it's new home and it will know that it has everything that it needs.

First blood! Had to change water yesterday which involves sticking a big scary hand into his space. Two or three strikes then a good long sniff of said hand and another quick nip to say bugger off. Finally though, he has moved off the top of hide in defensive position, had a good poo and gone into hide so hopefully is feeling a little less threatened. Unfortunately the poo is all down the side of the hide so will need to upset him sometime soon to clean it. There is a dowel across the top of click clack which I have seen him coiled around at night, is that enough for arboreal habits for now?

Last edited by a moderator:
RSPs can be violent during their settling in period. I myself purchased a pair back a couple months or so ago, and both were very skittish at first. One still is. I copped a bite from the female while grabbing her to see how she'd cope with being handled. She drew quite a bit of blood too, surprising for a snake of her size, so diminutive but she made me bleed a lot - but RSPs have unusually large teeth and they are curved so will rip into your flesh and tear it up. NEVER handle a RSP anywhere near within striking distance of your face. With the shape/size of their teeth an adult could so easily put an eye out.

RSPs can be violent during their settling in period. I myself purchased a pair back a couple months or so ago, and both were very skittish at first. One still is. I copped a bite from the female while grabbing her to see how she'd cope with being handled. She drew quite a bit of blood too, surprising for a snake of her size, so diminutive but she made me bleed a lot - but RSPs have unusually large teeth and they are curved so will rip into your flesh and tear it up. NEVER handle a RSP anywhere near within striking distance of your face. With the shape/size of their teeth an adult could so easily put an eye out.

I can attest to that. Been bitten right on the nose lol. Once she decided to go I had no chance of getting out of the way!!

Quick up date on "Goof". Finally, after several wasted mice, he has had first feed since arriving (just shy of a month since last fed at breeders). I ended up braining a nice warm fuzzy mouse and offering it with the lights out. He still struck out with fear response so I left him till he had bailed back into the hide then shoved fuzzy into the opening so he would have to push it out of the way to come back out. This morning no mouse and a nice big bump in da belly!!! Hopefully we can get a decent feeding routine going now.

View attachment 296714

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back