Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm inbreeding, interesting, new thread perhaps? I thought people did this but was not sure about any of it. Heck I know I have brought a few weird looking rodents, if they aren't babies of related pairs of related pairs.

Congrats on the eggies, hope they all hatch into lil girlie lizzies :D

Inbreeding is not illegal in NSW. I haven't thought about getting another male as of yet as i don't no anyone else with these dragons. (rare in captivity) The parents of these eggs are different bloodlines so i'm sure it will be fine. If i could track down another male i may treat myself to another one.

Inbreeding is not illegal in NSW. I haven't thought about getting another male as of yet as i don't no anyone else with these dragons. (rare in captivity) The parents of these eggs are different bloodlines so i'm sure it will be fine. If i could track down another male i may treat myself to another one.

yea to be honest i wouldnt breed them if i were u... jmo tho...
i mean u already have some keep the clutch and just dont inbreed them... because then if they are really "rare" in captivity the only ones that will be around will be inbreds then people will continue to inbreed them if u sell them off
and that wouldnt be good now would it :)
anyway hopefully what i have said makes sence... i just think inbreeding is wrong its not like ur trying to get any spiffy traits like dave mentioned people inbreed for, just wait it out till u can find another male... or just enjoy having them and not breeding them like i do with my reps i mean u seem to have a big collection u could focus on breeding things u own that arnt related yea?

yea inbreeding isnt illegal, but not the best, although it helps to get specific morphs etc.

why not buy more from the supplier, or who they got theres from.

it IS possible for you to find unrelated individuals.

why not buy more from the supplier, or who they got theres from.

it IS possible for you to find unrelated individuals.

yea that is a good idea

only thing im worried about is the fact that if they are rare like u say
the ones availible will be inbred ones if u breed them down the track
and when u sell them there will be another chunk of them in captivity and those people who end up with them will most likely end up breeding a few of the ones u had
and then that will be the 2nd time there in bred...

and the cycle will repeat itself over and over

it will just get worse and worse until there is more availible but there all inbred

UPDATE: i candled the eggs last night so far 7 have blood vessels. 1 looks like it may be stuffed.

You must have got them from somewhere.. so even though they are rare there's a good chace someone else has a different bloodline. Maybe you could play swaps ;)

Tommy round headed dragons aren't as rare as W.T.BUY states, they may be uncommon but get over yourself. Your not breeding something that nobody else has, finding another male won't take half as long as you think.

First of all, they be rarely advertised and commonly referred to but I know of several people out there with decent numbers doing well in captivity. If your going to breed decent numbers of a species that is uncommon, don't restrict your outgoing bloodline to inbred juveniles by selling the second generation hatchlings from a father dragon that is also its grandfather.

The kid is excited about breeding his dragons and you *** holes bring him down for possibly inbreeding them in a few years?

missllamathuen
Llama Juice On Toast
Subscriber Join Date: Mar-08

Rocket
Regular Member Join Date: Sep-06

I watch the news.

The kid is excited about breeding his dragons and you *** holes bring him down for possibly inbreeding them in a few years?

missllamathuen
Llama Juice On Toast

Rocket

OUCH! settle down big fella... lol :)
True though congrats on your success... But take the advice of some older people too... they're only trying to help.. even if they are a bit over passionate about it all! ;)

Tommy round headed dragons aren't as rare as W.T.BUY states, they may be uncommon but get over yourself. Your not breeding something that nobody else has, finding another male won't take half as long as you think.

First of all, they be rarely advertised and commonly referred to but I know of several people out there with decent numbers doing well in captivity. If your going to breed decent numbers of a species that is uncommon, don't restrict your outgoing bloodline to inbred juveniles by selling the second generation hatchlings from a father dragon that is also its grandfather.

calm down mate. why dont you pm him the details of all these breeders you know so he has the choice of mixing up his bloodlines? collecting wild reptiles is heavily restricted therefore the majority of the reptiles in captivity are in bred, wake up to yourself.

missllamathuen
Llama Juice On Toast

Rocket

I watch the news.

not trying to bring him down, its a forum for learning trying to teach the kid better ways to go about things rather then choosing to inbreed
dont need to get nasty dpeica

OUCH! settle down big fella... lol :)
True though congrats on your success... But take the advice of some older people too... they're only trying to help.. even if they are a bit over passionate about it all! ;)

Haha hes right Dave... take it easy. You dont want to upset the breast feeders, they stop lactating.

actually alot of our reptiles (WA) are wild caught... a collectors licence is about $1000. Though I understand it's quite involved to get a licence and show where you caught each animal. But when you look at some of the web sites (who export all over australia) a lot of their specimens say "age: unknown, wild caught".

No need to calm down, i'm not at all fired up. I'm not trying to bring his hopes down for breeding, just to help him realise theres other ways of going about breeding uncommon dragons without turning back to breeding from a single male. It won't have direct impacts on immediate progeny but I'd go the way I suggested, not take the easy to breeding continual generations.

dpeica, inform us all of what you see on the news.

yea but in captivity it is illegal well it is here in s.a to inbreed i know that much...

W.T.BUY? do u have a non related male?

Please dont start an inbreeding debate, You can easily breed a snake to its sibling, where do you think nearly every single albino darwin come from, I know their are two lines now but about 90 percent are alby linage from sxr. Same with stripes, blondes, whites, they are are selective bred and continualy bred from each other, I think people get reptiles mixed up with mamales.

scorps im saying in the long run if they were as rare in captivity as he says his blood lines would be inbred when he sells them off those people will inbreed etc etc

say it was to happen with a md it wouldnt be as big as a issue because of the amount there are i dont think that there would be a chance of it happening over and over again

but with these that he has if they are so hard to get he cant get a non related male then wont the inbreeding keep happening?

were not having a go at him were trying to point him in the way of doing the right thing, if he can get a non related male that would be great then he could start a whole new colonie of non related ones etc

actually alot of our reptiles (WA) are wild caught... a collectors licence is about $1000. Though I understand it's quite involved to get a licence and show where you caught each animal. But when you look at some of the web sites (who export all over australia) a lot of their specimens say "age: unknown, wild caught".

yeah WA is great in the fact that it is possible to get wc animals. however diporiphora australis do not occur in WA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back