Should these people be allowed to keep snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RE: Should these people be allowed to keep snakes?

snakegal said:
Who needs education like that!? Education should not be at the expense of living creatures. This is sick entertainment-pure and simple. How can you even try to pass this off as educational Hix?

Lurk said:
I my self did not see education or amusment

I'm afraid you misunderstood me - I am not condoning this, nor am I passing it off as education. I merely tried to explain why they do this sort of thing i.e. different cultures. What I said was, while watching it, I found some educational value in it - educational to me, not necessarily anyone else.

This is not a justification for it. But I would be a mug if I didn't take the opportunity to learn from it.

:p

Hix

RE: Re: RE: Should these people be allowed to keep snakes?

I couldn't get the video to work but the girl of the day part on that site was pretty good. :)

i dont care what people think if its educational or not, it is friken wrong.
im very pd off, i can understand watching it in the wild, but forcing them to fight in a tank is stupid
at least in the wild one could run away :)

Be very interesting to see how the mongoose would've have pulled up if the keeper did not intervene...

As for education... That was far from educational. The mongoose was making all attempts to defend itself. They may hunt snakes in the wild, bit had that glass cage not been there, that mongoose would've been straight out of there in an instant...
This is a sick asian countrys form of amusing foreigners... Its common place all through indonesia and its surrounding islands. I don't see how people can find that amusing. Its cruel both for the mongoose and the cobra...

Having said that, a cobra would make a very interesting and aesthetically pleasing specimen to own in your own home... (if you have the balls).

Be very interesting to see how the mongoose would've have pulled up if the keeper did not intervene...

As for education... That was far from educational. The mongoose was making all attempts to defend itself. They may hunt snakes in the wild, bit had that glass cage not been there, that mongoose would've been straight out of there in an instant...
This is a sick asian countrys form of amusing foreigners... Its common place all through indonesia and its surrounding islands. I don't see how people can find that amusing. Its cruel both for the mongoose and the cobra...

Having said that, a cobra would make a very interesting and aesthetically pleasing specimen to own in your own home... (if you have the balls).

Cool vid :)

Lizard said:
no way man, its not a cool vid
i like to call it animal cruelty, not to sound mean but how old are you?? if you think that it is cool maybe you would like to see what ever herps you got to fight and see what you feel then?

Is all i see is two animals whos preferance would be to get away from each other but because of the conditions are forced to face off.. Very poor form on behalf of those putting on the show because the scenario is as un natural as they come.

Please note this demonstration was to show how a Mongoose can defend itself against a Cobra
I am unsure why this was nescary

and no animals were injured during this video.
are we to assume the cobra had its venom glands/teeth removed as seems to be the custom with these snakes?

I must agree with the majority on this one, I can't see any educational value and how can they say no animals were hurt when the mongoose is clearly trying to kill the cobra at the end? As JandC said "Would like to see how the mongoose would go against a snake that has the capabilities of striking in any direction as opposed to a cobra that can only strike downwards". Replace the Monocled with a cranky Coastal or Inland Taipain (not that I'm saying you should) but I'm sure the outcome would be slightly different.

Complete idiots....

It was interesting to see the defensive movements and attack faints by the mongoose designed to confuse the cobra, but the whole display is typical of the cruelty for money attitude common to asia. I was in Thailand years and years ago and witnessed the common practice of doping animals so westerners can have their photos taken, eg Pythons, monkeys. It is not what our culture is about but it is usually the western tourist who continue to support these shows with tourist money, makes some of us as bad as the locals who run the show.

Davo

cool vid

its human nature to excited by that kinda thing why else would people do that. i once had a ferret and he managed to get into my rat colony and killed them all, amazing animals reptiles are kinda dumb compared with them. you will never be able to stop this kinda thing as much as you bitch about and advertise it. look at dog fights and all that people can't get enough of it.

there is a very interesting video on youtube.com i found simply called pet snake. on the one hand, the snake is obviously owned by complete morons. but it is very interesting watching the way the (i think it is) reticulated python interacts with, then takes down a goat. i also found some interesting ones of anacondas on there too. i won't post the link in case anyone thinks it is mean to the goat. i don't condone cruelty to animals of any kind but i didn't mind watching that as it is the snake's dinner.

has anyone read the comments section yet....

Its all well and good to say that the dollar is more important than the fauna. Anyone in Australia who thinks they are different are kidding themselves. How much of our forests have been cleared and are still being cleared. Just because we dont have a video of a snake dying due to habitat loss doesnt mean it isnt happening. How about the emissions laws.... Hmm we are model citizens. Lets give ourselves a pat on the back.

Adam

This clip is pretty old, the link you've shown is not the full version, by the end of it the snake is a limp mess on the ground with the mongouse gnawing on it, you're very right, it's very cruel, but so is declawing a bear and haveing dogs rip it apart, unfortunatly we have no control of the going-ons in other counrties.

Firesnake said:
there is a very interesting video on youtube.com i found simply called pet snake. on the one hand, the snake is obviously owned by complete morons. but it is very interesting watching the way the (i think it is) reticulated python interacts with, then takes down a goat. i also found some interesting ones of anacondas on there too. i won't post the link in case anyone thinks it is mean to the goat. i don't condone cruelty to animals of any kind but i didn't mind watching that as it is the snake's dinner.

Pm link? I've seen a scrub python tear through 3 of our geese.

This imagine this exhibition was for entertainment and profiteering purposes only, I doubt the organisers of this event were thinking about the possibility of educational content at the time! Now – what I would have liked to see; is the human who dropped the Cobra in with the Mongoose, in with the Mongoose in place of the Cobra. That would be entertainment (just kidding – I hear human flesh is really bad for mongoose’s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back