Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not long enough I know, but I tried to do the right thing, after the vet said they were fine (2 weeks after purchase) I put them in.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, Josh can you help me out mate? I have a female thick tail who looks gravid but her condition seams to be worsening, can you stick your head back into this thread in a few hours after I've had some dinner and taken some photo's? I'd love a professional opinion on just whats going on.

- - - Updated - - -

GeckoJosh, can you tell me whats going on here? I was told they ALWAYS lay clutches of two eggs, but there appears to be only one lump and it seams to be much to big to be an egg, I was sold this pair from a guy in Wollongong who said it originally had a bit of a hard life... Might it be a tumour? Im thinking of taking her to the vet...

IMG_0658.jpgIMG_0656.jpg

Not long enough I know, but I tried to do the right thing, after the vet said they were fine (2 weeks after purchase) I put them in.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, Josh can you help me out mate? I have a female thick tail who looks gravid but her condition seams to be worsening, can you stick your head back into this thread in a few hours after I've had some dinner and taken some photo's? I'd love a professional opinion on just whats going on.

- - - Updated - - -

GeckoJosh, can you tell me whats going on here? I was told they ALWAYS lay clutches of two eggs, but there appears to be only one lump and it seams to be much to big to be an egg, I was sold this pair from a guy in Wollongong who said it originally had a bit of a hard life... Might it be a tumour? Im thinking of taking her to the vet...

View attachment 264671View attachment 264672

Looks like 2 eggs, when looking at them like in your 2nd pic the one on the left is a bit higher than the one on the right, the best way to see them is to put them in a chinese container and gently push them from above while viewing from below.
Also the of geckos eggs are quite big compared to them, the egg you can see clearly still has some growing to do

Last edited:
Definitely an egg. If I were a betting man I would only one. As a generalization, geckos normally have two eggs, occasionally one and on really rare occasions, three.

Make sure mum gets plenty of calcium and nutrients. Dusting and if you can vary the diet away from just crickets, that would be good. You can also feed her a little more than normal. Woodies are actually very nutritious for them.

Blue

This is a really good thread. It's great to see some of the more experienced herpers contributing so generously.
Good on you guys for being so helpful. It's heartening to see. 8)
The only thing that I can add is that I don't recommend mixing different species indoors as a general rule. Outside in a big pit is usually OK, providing there is plenty of cover.

I'm really going to have to get some updated pictures of the enclosure up, its heaps better now than the original photo's, I believe there are enough hides to accommodate the species I'm looking at introducing. Cheers for the heads up Blue, I'll get some woodies on tuesday.

I'm really going to have to get some updated pictures of the enclosure up, its heaps better now than the original photo's, I believe there are enough hides to accommodate the species I'm looking at introducing. Cheers for the heads up Blue, I'll get some woodies on tuesday.
Sorry but I think you are better off putting your time and effort into constructing a decent sized outdoor pit with multiple basking spots and places to hide.
I have seen too many dragons of the same species seriously mame one another.
The thing you are yet to witness is dominating behaviour (which gets extremely violent), the reason they have been ok so far is the age of your dragons and the time of year. Once it warms up a bit and they get a bit more hormonal your tank will turn into a reptile Battle Royale.

Mike,

I think we are going to agree to disagree here. The amount of lizards in that cage provided they are properly fed are going to exceed its limitations within months. If it was going to be persisted with it will need multiple basking sites, with visual barriers between them. This in turn becomes problematic in providing a suitable thermal mosaic. Therefore in this particular instance within the given parameters I see no viable option of a mulitiple species cage.

Revell,
Your Underwoodisaurus 'husbandi' is gravid, she will need her piece and quiet to lay make sure you have an appropriate nest box. Geckojosh made a very good point about an outside enclosure, this would be a much better alternative to keeping inside, but at the same time external enclosures provide you a whole new set of considerations as well.

Cheers,
Scott

Cheers
scott

Ok well here are the updated enclosure photo's

IMG_0687.jpgIMG_0688.jpgIMG_0690.jpgIMG_0691.jpgIMG_0692.jpgIMG_0693.jpgIMG_0694.jpgIMG_0695.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

As you can see there are now 5 very individual hides, as well as 4 separate basking rocks, not to mention the back wall that gets used quite a lot.

I appreciate all the advice guys, but I'm going to go ahead and try it anyway, I'm not just going to dump the reptiles all in there at once, they will be added slowly so I can make sure everyone settles in without incident.

If things do go wrong, you can all say "I told you so" but I honestly believe there is enough in this enclosure to keep them occupied enough not to fight, there is always an excess of food, fresh greens, bearded dragon pellets as well as live crickets and as of tomorrow woodies as well, I suppose from here its just a matter of sourcing the different species I'm looking for and keeping you all updated on how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I don't have the option of an outdoor enclosure, parents won't have a bar of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 101
I thought you were going to put the EWD outside when they got bigger anyway?

Also when we said separate basking sites we didn't mean multiple rocks under one light, we meant multiple lights situated strategically so they could not see each other from each basking site

Outside two years from now when I have my own place yeah, and I know what you meant, this is just the best I can do in this situation. A mate of mine, who has been a keeper for about 40 years, has a multi species enclosure, much more basic than mine, and he hasn't had any issues at all for the past 10 years or so, one basking spot, about 4 hides and plenty of food.

Never know, I might have the same success as he has, as I said, over the next 6 months or so as I'm getting it set up I'll let you all know how it goes.

Outside two years from now when I have my own place yeah, and I know what you meant, this is just the best I can do in this situation. A mate of mine, who has been a keeper for about 40 years, has a multi species enclosure, much more basic than mine, and he hasn't had any issues at all for the past 10 years or so, one basking spot, about 4 hides and plenty of food.

Never know, I might have the same success as he has, as I said, over the next 6 months or so as I'm getting it set up I'll let you all know how it goes.

Like many have said, yes it can work but more often than not you learn the hard way by having your dragons lose limbs/tails or worse.
I guess it just comes down to whether or not your are prepared to gamble on their well being.

Mate honestly you have made your point about 5 times now and I've been agreeable, now is the time you step back and say, "Well, good luck mate hope it all works out, if not, we told you so"

Please stop harping on about how it will be such a bad idea, I understand the possible consequences, and I think it will work.

Mate honestly you have made your point about 5 times now and I've been agreeable, now is the time you step back and say, "Well, good luck mate hope it all works out, if not, we told you so"

Please stop harping on about how it will be such a bad idea, I understand the possible consequences, and I think it will work.

Why did you start this thread if you already had your mind made up from the get go?

And don't worry I wont be posting in any of your threads again, I am only happy to help those who appreciate it without being rude little twats

Remember you asked for input to begin with. When you don't like the answer you ignore the advice or attempt too argue the point.

I personally hope you are unsuccessful in your hunt to track down more occupants for your enclosure.

Cheers
scott

Ahhhh, deary me. Can anyone else foresee a 'help,dissapearing dragons!' thread in the near future? I can't get my head around why you would Want to put them all in together? Can you not afford enclosures? Do you think it's racist to keep them apart? What possible good can this do for the animals involved? If you can think of a positive, I woul love to hear it..

Don't worry stenrulz the OP is long gone.
I don't expect him to come back so we can all say told you so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back