snake finally ate/ but may need worming

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azza74

Reaction score
god what a relief!!!!!!!!!

been about 14 dayswithout food at least, had it for about 10 of those days.
he seemed afraid of pinkies, always backed away when he came across one... tried rubbing a garden skink on the pinky but he still wasnt interested..
he ended up eating a skinks tail, so i then tried the rubbing thing again with a garden skink in the pinkies mouth (how it got there i dont know and im sure it died of natural causes, maybe)
but my snake ate it within an hour of it being left in the tank.....
will be interesting to see if it takes a plain pinky in 5days..

im a very happy man:D :D :D :D :D

only problem now is ive been told ill have to worm the snake due to eating a garden skink, does anyone know anything about this????

im just so relieved that he ate.....

my coastal didnt eat for about a month when i bought him but i tried some chicken stock om the pinky and he ate it :) the chicken stock workes every time :)

I think it is unlikely for it to get something from a skink tail.
It sounds to me like there was no need to go to this extreme as you suggest that it had eaten as recently a 14 days ago.

If the person you got it off was feeding it lizards they shouldnt have sold it to someone who is new to snakes and if as i suspect it was already feeding on rodents it is a bad idea to feed it skinks or scented rodents.

14 days isnt a call to run to panic stations, better off waiting till he ate rodent. now it will be harder to get em on them.

hey chris chill dude!!!
he was eating pinkies just not sure when, i said at least 14days but def longer, the guy had lots of juvies so wasnt sure when this particular one ate(the others he knew, and yes he was very honest about it but this is the one i wanted)

and its not that extreme, its in the books n in the forums

thought about that one but they put a lot of other stuff in the stock, but ill see how i go i might use it, prob make my own (better then getting in trouble for the skink)

id say hes right tho, just seemed like he didnt know what a pinky was... now he knows theyre food..

hey chris chill dude!!!
he was eating pinkies just not sure when, i said at least 14days but def longer, the guy had lots of juvies so wasnt sure when this particular one ate(the others he knew, and yes he was very honest about it but this is the one i wanted)

and its not that extreme, its in the books n in the forums

Its ok im chilled out, I dont think anyone would reccomend doing what you did, but its not a major problem.

The only reason you should risk feeding lizards to a python is if it has never accepted rodents and it starts to lose condition and that would probably take a few months atleast. Basically feeding lizards that potentially contain parasites should be a last resort IMO.

It isnt the end of the world and your snake isnt going to die, its just not the best thing to be doing and if someone in the position you were in reads this thread, hopefully they wont do the same thing.

Azza,

I dunno why you would be having trouble with your snake eating..... I got mine off the same breeder.....

It eats like a pig.... there is no stopping him :)

If they are rats - there is your problem.....

Try him on fuzzie mice.... thats what they were all eating at the time of purchase.....

Matt

Last edited:
yeah id agree there chris... steep learning curve plus so much contradicting info (read about scenting/tails on this forum plus in books)
first snake so even with all the info in the world ya still worry bout them.... he was def sscared of them tho, dosent react to my hand apart from climbing it but wouldnt go near the pikny, and as i said there was a chance he wasnt a good eater at the start....wish my dogs were the same tho, id love to only have to feed them every few weeks, theyre total pigs

it was a mix of both but this snake didnt have any coins in its click clack so wasnt sure how he ate (remember he had coins or rings to see how many theyd eaten

like the cute puppy that looks lonely by its self!!! never pick that one but someone always does
the seller was completly honest with me, as he had removed two from sale that hadnt eaten. just liked the markings and the temperment...

hes a great snake, better now

yeah but they came out huge and i dont know how to resize them, ill try to post but i killed my mates hotmail with them (hes on dial up:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back