Snake ID please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHappy

Reaction score
Last time I identified a rough scaled snake as a keelback so I thought I'd check what you think.

Attachments

• 27-12-10.2.jpg
    27-12-10.2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 27-12-10.jpg
    27-12-10.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 182
The easiest way to tell without goinf all indepth into scales is to look at the corner of the mouth. You see how the jaw turns up into a kind of grin? Means that little fella is a keelback. Roughies have a more straightline mouth.

If you are catching snakes like it appears you are i would highly reccomend you buy a feild guide. Wilson and Swan have what i recon is the best. Hit Jonno up at herpbooks for one.

I'm almost 100% sure that that is aKeelback. It has a loreal scale between the eye and nasal scale, which the roughie doesnt have.

Last edited:
Ive found thats the easiest way also Gordo,so if its smiling at you,all is good,if its not,BE CAREFUL...

Ive found thats the easiest way also Gordo,so if its smiling at you,all is good,if its not,BE CAREFUL...

Yeah I guess thats easier than looking for scale :p It you can see the scales on a Roughies head - you are TOO close!!!! :lol:

sorry if this is a dumb question,
are keelbacks venomous ? (deadly enough to kill a human ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back