Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you want trivia, Right or wrong this was touted as scientific fact when was at uni. It pertains to the basis of what is a fact.
The preying mantis. The female eats the male after copulation. This had in fact only ever been observed in captive specimens. this meant that it could be conclude that it only occurred in captivity and was not natural behaviour.

I saw this a couple of weeks ago on a doco. She usually starts eating at his head and he keeps it going while he's being eaten.
Now that's one desperate dude.

nipple = a random word inserted into a serious convo/thread to wake up everyone

Are they the ones that can't ejaculate while they still have their head?

lol baritji...

The preying mantis. The female eats the male after copulation. This had in fact only ever been observed in captive specimens. this meant that it could be conclude that it only occurred in captivity and was not natural behaviour.
This is actually true Peter. I saw a doco on praying mantis lifecycle. They happened to pick a male mantis from a being born right through to death. He actually mated with a female and escaped with his life only to reproduce with another female as well which he also survived. Unfortunatley for him, he was on the menu for a bird.:(

Baritji they could just be exception.....they do have a reputation as being a relativly placid snake. At taronga they had 1 that was as clam as anything. The keeper said that that is not un common.

I've seen a few very tame ones and can't recall seeing any nasty ones, other than footage of them in the wild. A friend of mine has one which he free handles with less care than I take with my friendliest pythons. The first time I saw his collection it was the first thing he took out and immediately shoved it in my face, its nose literally about an inch from mine. Very tame snake but all the same I hope he doesn't do that again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back