Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The second one of mine was Pseudonaja textilis Eastern/common Brown

So experts whats this one!

It is definitely Varanus auffenbergi.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SPRACKLAND described this species in 1999. Its a split from Varanus timorensis. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is restricted to the island of Roti, 12 km southwest of Timor. Certainly not a legally held species here in Oz. Looks like someone fudged the books. Gee Scott thought you would of picked this one.

[/FONT]

It is definitely Varanus auffenbergi.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SPRACKLAND described this species in 1999. Its a split from Varanus timorensis. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is restricted to the island of Roti, 12 km southwest of Timor. Certainly not a legally held species here in Oz. Looks like someone fudged the books. Gee Scott thought you would of picked this one.

[/FONT]

The same photo can be found here:

Peacock Monitor (Varanus auffenbergi) ? Reptiliana: Ultimate Reptile Resource

Looks to me that the person who is advertising the ackie got the wrong photo!

I stand corrected.....I don't know my indonesian monitors that well

the monitor is auffenbergi and has been advertised as both accies as well as primordius.

Steve skink is Morethia obscura
Oxy's snake is Demansia quaesitor
Ravens skink is Eulamprus tympanum tympanum

Cheers,
Scott

Steve skink is Morethia obscura
Oxy's snake is Demansia quaesitor
Ravens skink is Eulamprus tympanum tympanum

Cheers,
Scott

Hey Scott,
There is 11 species and sub species of Demansia in Graeme Gow's "Snakes of Australia" but not that one (quaesitor).
Can you tell me why it is quaesitor please?
The description he gives of reticulata fits so well.

Hey Scott,
There is 11 species and sub species of Demansia in Graeme Gow's "Snakes of Australia" but not that one (quaesitor).

Is the Graeme Gow book the one that was released in '95? If it is then you will find it out of date. The Demansia genus was reviewed a couple of years ago and species were introduced and shuffled around. Demansia quaesitor is one of these.

The easiest way would be location/distribution, however, when its in a tub this generally doesn't count. I would say that it is D. quaesitor due to the pale flecks of colour on the scales, lack of black reticulations on body, the banding on the snout, and distinctive head colouration.

Hey Scott,

Have a look in the second edition of "A complete guide to reptiles of australia" by Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan... I think its a little more up-to-date... (Demansia quaesitor is in the back of the book, in the appendix along with some other new-ish/newer changes that were made late in the preparation of the book)...
This book is a 2008 Edition... Not sure how far off a third edition is or if it's anywhere near close to coming out.

From your pic it looked like it had 5 fingers not four.....mind you I have seen Morethia that have lost fingers too

also Menetia is subject to revision.....I am sure that "greyii" will turn out to be more than one species

Cheers,
Scott

the third edition is released next month

Fingers and toes were counted in the field.
When you say subject to revision, is this currently underway?
This guy was a lot different to the other Menetia I have seen and photographed most notably colour and size both of these differences presenting most noticeably on the tail, could tail size (thickness) be attributed purely to it being breeding season? this thickness wasn't just at the base but extended the length of the tail.

Is the Graeme Gow book the one that was released in '95? If it is then you will find it out of date. The Demansia genus was reviewed a couple of years ago and species were introduced and shuffled around. Demansia quaesitor is one of these.

The easiest way would be location/distribution, however, when its in a tub this generally doesn't count. I would say that it is D. quaesitor due to the pale flecks of colour on the scales, lack of black reticulations on body, the banding on the snout, and distinctive head colouration.

Thanks mate, yep I am sure its well out of date, I agree too, asking for locality in my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back