Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincey

Reaction score
This post is directed towards my mother. Honestly, I don't care if you don't agree with what I'm about to say and if you have nothing 'nice' to say, you can just not reply.

Anyway, here's how the story goes....

2 and a half weeks ago I applied for my Cat 3 license (Western Aus).
Because I'm 17, I couldn't get the license under my name, so I asked my mum to do it for me. She wasn't very keen on the idea, in fact she hated it but I persuaded her to sign it. We posted it the next day.

Here is where we get to today...

I called CALM today, and spoke to Adrian Coleman (the guy who goes through the application forms etc.) and he told me that it was "Probably lost in the mail" and that I should "Resend the application by fax before the end of the day".

My mum was out at this current time and her mobile phone was on the kitchen bench. Adrian called her 5 minutes after I spoke to him. I picked up and questioned why he was calling my mothers mobile if I just spoke to him no less than 5 minutes before. He said "Oh I just need her to know that she needs to clear up the fact that her Credit Card details were lost in the post".

I then thought to myself how the HELL he had my mums mobile number. I put MY mobile on the application form. And even if it was my mums mobile on the application form that means he MUST HAVE GOTTEN THE FORM. Yes?

I called him back and asked how he got the number. And he said "It's in our database". Trying not to be rude and acting ignorant. I said "Oh okay." and hung up the phone.

Honestly, how stupid does this guy think I am? Who the hell would have their name in the Herpetofauna Licensing database when they have never owned a reptile, never seen a snake in real life and hates the idea of owning a reptile.

Anyway. Mum got home and I had quite a nice 'conversation' with her. A whole lot of yelling, mainly on my behalf because she had called Adrian Coleman(CALM guy) and asked him NOT to process the license. Honestly, it all would have been MUCH easier if she DIDN'T sign the license. I would have been a tad annoyed, but hey! It's only a year until I'm 18 and it's no big deal. But no. She got me waiting 2 and a half weeks, ASKING ME QUESTIONS like "Has the license come in yet?" and "What will the snake look like?"

Well. I just thought the whole situation was ridiculous and completely avoidable. Needless to say, my mother is quite harsh and I am not happy with her at the moment.

BUT ITS OKAY!!!

She's calling him back up and telling him to process it as of tomorrow. I know it's bad, but don't you love blackmail?

Cheers for listening to my rant for the day.

Vince.

Last edited:
oh man thats gotta suck
hope it all goes through for ya

Last edited:
Mmmm. It annoys me so much.

If she didn't sign the forms, I could have gotten a lower class one and bought some geckos or something. I would have been stoked about it and love my new pets. And she knew this is how I felt. So why go through all of the crap?

Some things I just don't understand.

Ha ha ha go Vince!
Just don't yell in front of the neighbours, it's embarrassing.

I think you should buy you mother a big bunch of flowers and tell her you love her. I disagree with a lot of things my mother does or belives in, but I would never let her know I do. I hope things work out with your permit, but remember you wouldn't be here to apply for one if it weren't for you mother.

Thats the thing variegata. She was fine with it and what-not. Then calls him up behind my back instead of saying "Hey, I don't want the snake in my house".

As I said. I would have been annoyed, but not to the extent that I am now. I would have been like "Okay thats fine" have my whinge. Then get some geckos or lizards!! haha :D

I think you should buy you mother a big bunch of flowers and tell her you love her. I disagree with a lot of things my mother does or belives in, but I would never let her know I do. I hope things work out with your permit, but remember you wouldn't be here to apply for one if it weren't for you mother.

i agree. my mother ticks me off to no end all of the time. but i never let her know how annoying she is. becuase she does alot of things for me.
sometimes its the smallest things that count.
and being a parent myself i know how important mums are. your mum deserves a big hug :)

Hope you get some nice geckos or lizards... 18 is just a year away :)

When we finally became civil towards each other, she said she'd call him up and arrange for him to send the license out with the previously sent application form.

i agree. my mother ticks me off to no end all of the time. but i never let her know how annoying she is. becuase she does alot of things for me.
sometimes its the smallest things that count.
and being a parent myself i know how important mums are. your mum deserves a big hug :)

But I'm 17. I'm meant to be a pain in the backside to my parents :p
She got her big hug when she said she'd call him.

Maybe she is afraid of you getting dangerous snakes but didn't want to admit it so she thought putting off your licence might give her more time to come to terms with it? I don't know but she's your mum. I'm not saying what she did was right, but surely she must have an explanation for what she did, and I bet she is sorry. Like you said its only one more year before you can get your license yourself. What's one more year compared to the many more years to look forward to.

Maybe she is afraid of you getting dangerous snakes but didn't want to admit it so she thought putting off your licence might give her more time to come to terms with it? I don't know but she's your mum. I'm not saying what she did was right, but surely she must have an explanation for what she did, and I bet she is sorry. Like you said its only one more year before you can get your license yourself. What's one more year compared to the many more years to look forward to.

I gave her all of the information on Stimmies. How big they were, what to keep them in, feed them etc etc. She thought it was a harmless snake.

Stimmies. Dangerous?

I explained all of this too her, so she wasn't uninformed. Her explanation was "I hate snakes".
Then I asked her why. She had no reason. AT all. Not even a stupid one. So Kelly thought it'd be a good idea to take her to the reptile park so she can see them for herself. :D

Most of us have been 17 before. We know what it's like. Very difficult - all grown up - old enough to drive but not old enough to vote.. That has alway surprised me.. Hope things work out :) They always do (eventually)

Most of us have been 17 before. We know what it's like. Very difficult - all grown up - old enough to drive but not old enough to vote.. That has alway surprised me.. Hope things work out :) They always do (eventually)

I like the way you put that.

"Very difficult - all grown up - old enough to drive but not old enough to vote.. "

Haha. It's all good now. I hope.

She might be a little angry because she is the one paying for it. And cut her some slack - you always need them the moment you loose them

I know that she is your mum and I certainly don't mean to be rude...but you sound like you have more sense than her JMO

I'm paying for all of it. The only part she was going to pay was $100 or so, as my birthday present. Because she isn't going to be here for my birthday. My sisters birthday is 4 days after mine and she's in England so my mum is going there 5 days before my birthday. So i have no family for my 17th birthday.

Bummer.

At least now I can have a big party. WA people are invited. :)

No derros.. if you drink goon and you're over 16. You're out.

Garth, no offense was taken lol.
In some cases I do have more sense, but in others I don't. Same with a lot of kids and their parents. It's just if I want something really bad, i'll push the limits of EVERYTHING. Which means being knowledgable on the certain subject in order to have sense.

It's just she doesn't understand opinions that seem wrong or conflict with her own attitudes or beliefs. That's what gets me riled up. The fact that because she disagrees with it, it is suddenly the devil or something.

Anyway. You are wrong Garth but i understand what you are saying. My mother is an intelligent woman. Some things she just over looks, and she doesn't realize that I'm not a kid anymore. And saying "it got lost in the post" doesn't work. I'm smarter than that.

Western Australia. As stated in the very first post, mysnakesau.

Western Australia has COMPLETELY different regulations for keeping reptiles and other such pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back