Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whisper2

Reaction score
hey guys

ok so this is going to sound stupid but i cant figure it out. a spotted, maccie and stimson all look the same to me and the only difference i can see is the scientific name.

would some one please help me out on this one, it has got me all confused lol

bel

Not much to say other than Yes.

They have different species names, as they are different species.

They do look similar.

Also, a spotted is a Maccie, maccie is just the short term for maculosa.

They are all different though, if you were to put each of the species side by side, it makes it far easier to see. More so in size.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
There all Childrens Pythons,people just call then different names so you can get an idea on there markings,alot like Carpet Pythons,Coastals,Darwins,Vic's.all the same snake just different markings.:)

lol ok i think i get it now

they are the same but different. thats good enough for me :)

thanks heaps!

bel : )

actually dodgie, that is incorrect. Actually that is taxonomic blaspheming.

Childrens python are from the species Antaresia childreni
Maccies or spotted are from Antaresia maculosus
Stimsons Antaresia stimsoni

Oh and lets not forget the pigmy Antaresia perthensis

So yeah different species, but same Genus.
The take on the Carpet pythons is wrong, but less defined they are different sub species.
But hey who really cares...

Heres some from my collection a childreni, a maculosa and a stimsoni.

Attachments

• femchi.JPG
    femchi.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 72
  • fmac1.JPG
    fmac1.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 69
  • stimson2.JPG
    stimson2.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 73
actually dodgie, that is incorrect. Actually that is taxonomic blaspheming.

Childrens python are from the species Antaresia childreni
Maccies or spotted are from Antaresia maculosus
Stimsons Antaresia stimsoni

Oh and lets not forget the pigmy Antaresia perthensis

I was trying to give Adams a simple answer with out being a clever ###k But if you would like to get all technical,bring it on!

hmmm well the children's is obvious to me but ummm ok maby a little difference noticed with the last two. thanks BrendanS for the photos.
think i understand, a little confused but will get there
thanks for all the replys!

: )

I am sorry for giving the correct answer, god forbid the Mr Adams gets the correct information, rather than continueing to think that yes they are all just the same.

Then a little way down the track after he has purchased a chilrend, and a stimson, he thinks well they are just the same so they can breed. Lets not even go there.

I am sure that Mr Adams is intelligent enough to decipher what i wrote.

yeah, nothing like a bit of friendly banter to keep the party laughing

I would have to agree with you sloth, calling them all childrens is just making the matter worse. They should only be called what they are, ie a childrens is anteresia childreni. not A. maculosa or A.stimsoni.

Cheers
Daz

hmmmm ok well totally confused now.

oh and i am a girl......... so miss : )

The childrens python is comes from a small family of pythons, this family is known as Anteresia. Within this family exists 4 species of python.
1 - Childrens python - Anteresia childreni (childrens)
2 - Stimsons python or Large Blotched Python - Anteresia stimsoni (Stimmy)
3 - Eastern Small Blotched Python or Spotted Python - Anteresia maculosa (Maccie)
4 - Pygmy or Anthill python - Anteresia perthensis.

All are different to one another although have similar characteristics. Before they were all classified as different species they were all commonly known as childrens pythons. Which is incorrect, they are all different. So people that call them all childrens pythons are incorrect, they are all different. I suppose you could look at it like carpet pythons, they are a big family of animals, but a southwestern carpet (Morelia imbricata) is its own species of carpet and is unrelated to any of the others such as coastal carpets. Same family, different species.

I hope this helps a little more.

Cheers
Daz

wow. that is a great description.
this helps so much, i kept sending pms to people selling spotted's and thinking they were stimsons lol.
thanks so much for the help :)

bel : )

what? when was imbricata taken to species level?

They are all different in the middle of their own range, but overlap and interbreed around the edges creating havoc for correct identification.

Do you mean integrades JasonL..........:shock:;):lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back