Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaikris

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for some advice. We are first time snake seekers and are looking for the best snake to be handled on a regular basis. I have done some research and it appears that a spotted, stimsons or carpet python is the way to go. I have a friend with a spotted python and it strikes all the time and a friend with a stimsons and it likes being handled. Is this the breed or are there nasty snakes in every breed. I am looking for one that can be handled on a daily basis. Your help will be great. Simone

Every snake has the chance of biting and there are cranky little buggers in every breed of snake. The Antaresia group are usually pretty good (children's, spotted, stimsons, pygmy) but they are little so you can get your nervous ones as well. Pick a breed that really stands out for you (and that you can meet it's lifetime requirements) then find a breeder that you can visit in person. This way you can choose one based on how you and the snake react to one another. That seems the best way to get a quieter snake. Handling them on a regular basis is a good way to get your snake to calm down, providing you handle it in a calm and confident manner. If you are nervous, it makes them nervous and more likely to tag you. There will also be times when you can't hold it like straight after feeding and sometimes they can get cranky around shedding time.

Continue your research and feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Better to ask then to guess and get it wrong.

Hi all, I am looking for some advice. We are first time snake seekers and are looking for the best snake to be handled on a regular basis. I have done some research and it appears that a spotted, stimsons or carpet python is the way to go. I have a friend with a spotted python and it strikes all the time and a friend with a stimsons and it likes being handled. Is this the breed or are there nasty snakes in every breed. I am looking for one that can be handled on a daily basis. Your help will be great. Simone
no snake " likes" to be handled , some tolerate it better then others .
if u want something to handle every day then get a beardy or a blue tounge .

It's not that they're nasty it's because they are sending a message that they don't want to be handled.The ones that tolerate handling are a bit more relaxed is all they don't necessarily enjoy being handled.

In most cases it won't come down to species,just individual snakes.Sex is not a factor as my best handlers are females,but so is my worst.In order of best to worst,my best is a yearling female blonde spotted python,then 7 year old male standard spotted,juvenile female Wa Woma,yearling male blonde spotted python and finally a 6 year old female spotted python that hates my guts.

My stimson is a great handler, can't go wrong with one of them in my opinion. But every snake is different :) I recommend viewing the snake if possible before purchase, that way you see first hand the snakes temperment and condition. :)

One of my mates has a Woma and it is so easy going about being handled it's not funny and his Black Headed is very 'friendly' too, to the point where when it is ready to shed it waits until he opens the enclosures, flops into his hand and then uses his hand to shed with. :D

My pygmy python as awesome. She has never bitten me not even when I have handled her food then handled her. She is very very placid and the most awesome snake ever! But it really does come down to individual snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back