strangest things eaten!! share

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WombleHerp

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
how game are you? what is the strangest thing you have ever eaten? i guess myne would be fish head in bali, and a milkshake i made up and have every week now :D it has rainbow icecream, banana milkshake syrup, milk and then stirred. it turns a green colour and tastes great :p

so what about you?
regards,

Nat ;)

Dried Crickets in Thailand, did not actually taste that bad until you got to the crunchy head :shock::lol:

Hand full of flying ants, theyre ok when theyre not biting your tongue :lol: And a raw pilchard while we were drunk fishing for sharks at 3am.

Jordan

When i was in kindy i ate a Cicada shell that they leave clinged on trees :D:lol:

Tripe, jellied carp, the usual croc/roo/ostrich/water buffalo...

Last night we peer-pressured a mate into eating two massive moths. He couldn't bring himself to crunch them for ages so they were fluttering inside his mouth. He was trying ever so hard not to spew. Funniest thing I've seen in a loonngg time.

After the first one, we realised nobody recorded it.. so found him a second one so we could catch it on our phones!

*This post dedicated to you Hugo "Mother Eater" Murrel*

eww phil, im gonna say photos or it didn't happen.
witchety grubs for me

I dunno how to upload videos from my phone onto my computer... anyone?

Seeing as we were rather drunk, there is a little swearing though which wouldn't be great for the young'uns

A mate ate 2 handfulls of potting mix and a stinging nettle.

eel, frogs legs,pigs brain(not so unusual) n panther (which has a really really strong after taste).
dirty asians.

I didnt eat it but put it in my mouth was my brothers socks he had on for 5 days and his girlfriend said put them in my mouth 4 10 bucks so i did wasnt very good hahahah.

Amateurs! (other than the guy who ate potting mix! I wouldn't go that far!)

I like saurkraut, mozzarella cheese and jam sandwiches. On a hot day, use an ice-pole instead of jam :)

Of the animals which some people seem to find strange...

Cooked: Bees, termites, scorptions, spiders, grasshoppers, cockroaches, crickets, mealworms, brains (several species), butterflies, moths, cicadas, beetles, garden worms, Mcdonald's "hamgurger" (probably the worst thing of all!), potato, oranges, snails, all the regular offal, jellyfish, grubs, plus a bunch of things you don't want to know about!

Raw: multiple fish species, fish eggs, jellyfish, kangaroo, beef. About four times a week I have raw eggs for breakfast. When I have breakfast at other peoples' houses they rarely let me eat their eggs raw and quickly cook them for me!

Live: scorpions, spiders, crickets, mealworms, grasshoppers, grubs... and again, a fair few things you don't want to know about!

...no doubt I've missed a fair few things, but you get the idea.

I'll gladly challenge anyone on APS to an eating contest :)

Skunk: you're not supposed to admit to eating frog when you're on a herp forum! ;)

When Drunk... Ate a prawn, shell , head and all.....

And the usual, Croc, Roo..... Very nice..

When Drunk... Ate a prawn, shell , head and all.....

And the usual, Croc, Roo..... Very nice..

I usually eat the shells, they're the best bit :) I think proper prawn crackers are made out of the shell.

The bones in chicken wings are good, and if you're a bit more adventurous (I'm usually not bothered going this far!), the bones in the drumsticks are good too. When I was living in Melbourne I hung out with a group of friends each week, and if we ate chicken or prawns, anyone with wing bones or prawn shell left over would have stern words directed at them! :lol: Shortly after, one of the guys used to grab them off your plate and eat them :lol: He used to try to eat our drumstick bones too, but usually we'd stop him :lol:

Sdaji, I want to know the things that "we dont want to know about". Also what are live bugs like, wouldnt they taste nasty? Also what does jellyfish taste like? Although not socially normal in our country most of the stuff you listed i would consider to be fairly normal human food and are commonly eaten in less >cant think of the word(perhaps stupid?)< cultures.

Even if you want to know, the others don't :)

Live insects taste great, depending on the species, and also depending on what they've been feeding on. I got into eating Morabine Grasshoppers for a while, they have very distinctly different flavours depending on what plant you catch them on, even between different species of Acacias (and at the same time I was sampling the leaves of the respective species of Acacias too). The larger ones are quite creamy, very good.

Jellyfish are absolutely terrible! Perhaps I just haven't prepared them properly, I don't know, I'm not claiming to be a brilliant chef, but I didn't like it at all.

You're quite right, in most of the world, most of what I've listed wouldn't be that strange. People in Australia think that they're so adventurous when it comes to food, but the reality is that mainstream Australians are some of the most food-squeamish people in the world. "Adventurous dining" in Australia seems to mean "Eating Asian-style pork" :lol: and even then, the "foreign-style" food in Australia is usually a watered down Australian version of the foreign style.

I have to say, some of the worst food I've ever eaten came from various fast food outlets in the USA. I find it incredible that people are able to stomach, and even somehow "enjoy" the garbage they'll feed you at McDonald's, then say "eww" to eating insects. People have their heads so far under the metaphoric sand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back