Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissVampz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've heard a few different things about different substrates and have tried at least four now, first was astro turf which I got rid of because it irratated poor Dante's belly :( 2nd was that paper cat litter stuff I've heard about? No good, too dusty, and stayed way too damp. Mouldy, ick. So tried the bark, which was good, easy to clean but gave him splinters! *tears hair out* so today I went and picked up a bag of "Lizard Litter Desert Sand" by ESU Reptile which is finely ground walnut shells, has anyone else tried it? My poor stimsons doesn't seem to like it.... Keeps going up high or into his hide to get away from it I can see him thinking "Muuuum! I don't LIKE it!"

Ummm... maybe try Kritters Crumble. It's finely milled coconut husk. I haven't used it myself but seems you are running out of options. :(

I use aspen bedding for our snake, and kritters krumble for the beardies and the bluetongue... have had no problems with either :)

Good old newspaper works well for me as well, cheap, easy & practical.

I barely need to mist at all so I don't think it was that. I'm hoping he gets used to the new stuff because it's pretty similar to what he was originally housed on at the pet place I got him from and he was fine on it there.

ive used bark for years and never had a problem with any of my snakes getting splinters. you could try using sand

Yeah dunno why he gets splinters from the bark but he does. This stuffs a very similar consistency to sand, just a little lighter is all. As to the moisture problem.. I dunno what I was doing wrong, the viv has a mesh top and vents along the front as well but the littlest bit of moisture just sits there, very frustrating and it's not a lack of heating either. Water was kept in the cool end too otherwise its too humid. Ah well.

I tried sand with my BHP and it was really messy and got everywhere. also, while i was using it, she had her first stuck shed :s. now i use aspen and coco husk

If you want something that looks nice, as opposed to newspaper, Aspen is great. People complain about the price, but if you're only lining one enclosure it's minimal. When you consider that you only feed a snake once a week, $20 odd bucks once every two months for a bag of aspen isn't bad at all.

Aspen? Whats that, haven't heard of it before.
Bucky- I have a heat mat and a 75 watt heat globe, gets to around 30-32 in the hot end, 27-28 in the cool. When he wants to get warmer his climbing branch gets around 35. It's a glass viv though so it tends to lose heat quickly :/

Aspen? Whats that, haven't heard of it before.
Bucky- I have a heat mat and a 75 watt heat globe, gets to around 30-32 in the hot end, 27-28 in the cool. When he wants to get warmer his climbing branch gets around 35. It's a glass viv though so it tends to lose heat quickly :/

It's like straw, but fine and hypoalergenic. If the snake poo's, just grab the poo and the soiled aspen, you don't need to replace the whole lot, just a small handful. Then once every 2 months or so just replace the whole lot.

Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding - 24 quart

The other thing I'm concerned about is impaction. I know my local reptile centre recommended the ground walnut since thats what they use. Might give them a call tomorrow and speak to someone rather than confusing myself o_O

Well I guess the only substrate you can avoid that with is paper. They get bits of stuff on their food in the wild anyway. The times my hatchies have been fed in the enclosure and they have ingested aspen it hasn't been a problem, but I feed them in a click clack with paper towel anyway.

Here in SA i use a product called chipsi,it is a little like sawdust but thicker cut with a kinda shellgrit feel to it.very soft bedding,highly absorbent,and doesn't smell except like woodchips.and if any is ingested it seems to be there in the poops.my woma really sems to like the chipsi bottom,as do the beardies.the stuff is excellent at retaining heat also.

I use Aspen Snake Bedding, and I don't think the price is much of an issue at all.
My stimson python doesn't seem to mind it. He's recently learnt how to dig underneath and tunnel through it ;)

Success! He's gotten used to it now! He's taken a pinkie rat and looks like he's gonna shed again soon as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back