Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i find kitty's crumble is good once its dry, but it takes over a week to dry it to the level where i feel comfortable putting it in with my jungles, let alone a desert species like a woma or black headed
I also use Kitty's Crumble for my snakes (includes 2x womas) but find it only takes a couple of days to dry properly (ensure your enclosure has good ventilation). I've never really had an issue with it, it's easy to spot clean, cheap, compostable, & looks good. I've been using this now since February without issue.

In addition to my post this morning, I just read in the latest Scales & Tails magazine that Kitty's Crumble now also comes as "Kritter's Crumble" in a fine & coa-rse grade (excuse the hyphen in there, APS filter doesn't like those last four letters in co****). Not sure if Kritter's takes over from Kitty's or is a different product.

The website says no stockists yet, but the magazine ad says it's here so I guess it'll start showing up soon.

Last edited:
butches paper is what my animals are generally kept on. however, i have recently put my lacey on wood shavings and he is loving that. i have spoken to a couple people that use shavings for all their animals and they believe its a good option... thus far i agree.

I also use Kitty's Crumble for my snakes (includes 2x womas) but find it only takes a couple of days to dry properly (ensure your enclosure has good ventilation). I've never really had an issue with it, it's easy to spot clean, cheap, compostable, & looks good. I've been using this now since February without issue.

i dry it in a plastic tub with an open lid (ventilation is good), there is no heat so thus why it is probably drying slower than everyone else who dries it inside their heated enclosures. my house gets very cold in winter and rarely exceeds 16 degrees, below 12 degrees at night is not uncommon. not good conditions for drying substrate or clothing.

Well thats lucky as you will have a hard time locating a poisonous snake! Venomous on the other hand are everywhere.

hahah touche salesman!

Repti-Bark looks great, coir or palm peat all look fantastic as a substrate. Cleaning is easy just pull out the poo.
In the display enclosures I have a substrate in, I spot clean soon as I see a poo and then change the whole lot every 3 months, never had a problem. rest are in tubs with newspaper...
i must admit though I only have substrate for arboreal animals (excluding lizards) as I dont like the idea of ingesting the substrate while feeding..although they do manage in the wild!
I am tossing up building a display Axanthic BHP enclosure, using red sand, rock background, platforms etc...but haven't gotten over the phobia of feeding them on sand.

Anyone have a BHP setup with sand??? Love to see a pic please and if you have any dramas at feeding as my BHP's get pretty excited at dinner time as most do, i can envisage a sandy dinner item... lol

i dry it in a plastic tub with an open lid (ventilation is good), there is no heat so thus why it is probably drying slower than everyone else who dries it inside their heated enclosures.

In that case you may be interested in this. My curiosity got the better of me, so I contacted the local distributor for Kitty's Crumble/Kritter's Crumble, to see what the differences were (if any). The response as quoted (with permission) below indicates a drier substrate than current.
Thank you for visiting our website and for your enquiry.

Kritter's Crumble will replace Kitty's Crumble for the reptile owners. There will be two grades Fine (which is exactly the same as Kitty's Crumble, but dryer) and Co**** which will be a co****r chip.

Kritter's Crumble is on the water currently and will arrive in stores first week of August. As soon as it is available we will inform you, and you will be able to get it from your current Kitty's Crumble supplier.

In that case you may be interested in this. My curiosity got the better of me, so I contacted the local distributor for Kitty's Crumble/Kritter's Crumble, to see what the differences were (if any). The response as quoted (with permission) below indicates a drier substrate than current.

very interesting to know. will keep that in mind :D as previously stated. i do like it a lot, just pain in the **** for me to dry it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back