Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raddy318

Reaction score
just curious on what kind of substrate people think is best for there reptiles?

depends on what the critter is. i like the repti bark for ewd's and fine play sand for beardies. Not sure bout shnakes.. atm ive been using vita ultra.. i hear its stronger when wet... anyone eles got an idea what to use when i put my pygmy stimi in to a proper viv? :p

I use astro turf, its easy to do spot cleans & if you get an extra piece its easy to swap them over while the 'used' one gets a good hose & airing. Obviously newspaper would be the easiest of all though im guessing.

breeders choice is awesome. not too pricey, so easy to clean and soaks up any moisture and has no smell.

I use Carefresh animal bedding, it's like kitty litter, but it's made with snakes in mind, so unlike kitty litter, it doesn't dry out there skin, it's not in cube form, when a snake gets some in it's mouth, it breaks up instead of expanding so you don't run the risk of it expanding inside them and blocking the snake up. It's also chemical free and odour controlling. I've used a lot of different beddings over the past 10 years and this ones the best I've found so far.

Last edited:
I had tried Critter Crumble for my Woma because he loves to dig, but it was way too moist so I got rid of it and started usig shredded paper.

I use a variety of things, marine carpet for spotteds and the male has gum leaves., sand for womas, newspaper for hatchies, sand for beardies and CND's, coir for my EWD. Will be using bark for my Gammons carpet and astro turf for the Darwins when they get there proper enclosures.

News paper. Sand. Bark. . Im curious about the wood shavings small animal bedding

sand for my woma as he dig, but for everything else i use breeders choice cat litter. it is recycled paper shaped into pellets. it soaks up any moisture as well as keeps the smell down

What kind of sand for the womas? Does it not get stuck in their eyes nose ect?never used sand for snakes but im interested

I use desert sand for my womas, they are pretty clean, they usually wash the sand off after a feed and when they are dry it just seems to fall off. Never had a problem with it getting stuck in their eyes or nose.

What kind of sand for the womas? Does it not get stuck in their eyes nose ect?never used sand for snakes but im interested
ss

i just buy the bags of reptile sand from a pet shop, but i have read elsewhere that you can just buy kids play sand and bake it in the oven to kill any bacteria/ other nasties which may be in there (don't quote me on that tho). i havent had any problems with sand getting in there eyes/noses. they naturally come from sandy environments, so i wouldn't worry about it

Depends what you are using it for too in terms of smells, etc. I used sand for my blueys at one stage but found it to be a very smelly substrate and hard to dispose of as it didn't clean well. Tried pebbles and found much the same issue, used paper kitty litter but wasn't keen onb the look of it. Now I use fine eucalyptus mulch that I got from Bunnings in a huge bag(baked in oven before adding to tank) and can't smell them at all anymore and disposal is easy when needed as it just goes on the garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back